Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery July 14th, Dr. Aceves

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am scheduled with Dr. A on the 14th. I am a little nervous, but more anxious. I'll be going down by myself. Any tips, on anything during my stay in Mexicalli, and then how to deal with the travel home. It's a 7-8 hour trip for me......

I was sleeved by Dr. Acees on June 15. I did have someone with me for the surgery but you will be fine alone. I traveled home alone and had connecting flights for a 10 hour trip. Do ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport for your trip home. It makes things much easier. Just tell them you just had major surgery. That way you won't get worn out walking and you can pre-board.

They will give you drinks to sip on the ride to the airport. I bought a bottle of Fuze at the airport before boarding and sipped that. You can get some apple juice, tea, etc. on the plane. Sit in an aisle seat so you can go to the rest room easily. Pack lightly. I checked my carry on for the trip home so I would not have to lift it on to the overhead bin. You don't need much. If you don't mind wearing the hospital gown you don't even need PJ's though I brought some that looked like lounge wear so I could walk outside and throughout the hospital. I brought my laptop but did not use it much. Just bring a way to pay for your nexium, don't really need money for anything else. Have your last full meal at the hotel restaurant it is quite good.

Good luck! I am sue you will do just fine.

Edited by delawaregal
addition

Let's see, aside from all the basic stuff here's what else I found made it easier for me...

I went alone and thought that worked out really well. I made friends with the other patient arriving that day and her daughter and it was really nice. We had dinner together at the hotel the night before. I felt like I had a support system but didn't have to worry about someone else getting bored or having to talk if I didn't want to.

I wish I'd taken my swimsuit. It was really hot and the pool was cool and lovely. I dangled my legs but I would have loved to have an hour or two of floating around on the hotel night.

I took some Special K Protein Water packets to add to my Water on the way home. They were good. I think just the regular Crystal Light is even better but it was nice to get a little Protein in.

In my room the extra chair was small and uncomfortable. Took me awhile to figure out there were better chairs. When I did I switched to a big comfy recliner and it was so much more comfortable than the hospital bed.

I put Skype on my laptop and my iPhone and the prepaid $10. I made tons of calls and shared my phone with my friends and still only used about $3. Calls home otherwise would have been at least 99 cents a minute.

I got a simple Nancy Drew Dossier game to play on my pc. It was easy enough that I didn't need much brain power but it really passed the time.

I downloaded a few TV shows to my iPhone for the ride home. That was great, I was so anxious to get home and Drop Dead Diva and Royal Pains really helped make the flight go quicker.

I didn't need a wheelchair on the San Diego side because it was such a short walk to the gate. But I prearranged for one on the Seattle side and was really glad I did - it would have been a really long walk and it had already been a very long day.

Nobody told me that the spinal block would make peeing a little weird. I took me awhile to figure it out, I was worried at first.

I bought just one extra Nexium. They don't taste too bad but I'm glad I only bought one and can switch to pills later this week as per Gaby (at Dr. Aceves' office).

I wish I'd thought to ask for another prescription of Toradol. I can't remember what the Mexican name for it is but they give you a small box to take home. It's a little pain killer that goes under your tongue. I had a really stiff neck for several days after I got home and it worked better than anything without making me drowsy. I didn't have any surgery pain but it was super for my neck.

Buy some surgical gauze and a surgical no leak pad and tape before you go. My mom got me some and I really needed it for the first 4-5 days. I leaked out of my drain incision a lot. It would drench my clothes. The pads kept me dry then if I was home I'd air it out a bit. I don't know what I would have done without that stuff.

Make sure you brush your teeth with bottled water and not tap water in the hospital.

Shower and walk. You'll feel better.

I used airmiles and flew home first class. I'm sure I would have been fine in coach but it was so nice to have the extra space and more comfortable seat.

Make sure you write down the name of the person you want them to call when you're out of surgery on a separate sheet of paper and hand it in with your other paperwork. I thought just writing it in the paperwork was enough but nobody ever called my husband so he had to wait, worrying, until I was able to call at 6pm that night.

Rest, relax, and don't hesitate to ask for what you need. They are great at the hospital - they are happy to help and don't get impatient. My experience was really as good as everyone said it'd be and I'm really happy I finally went with Dr. Aceves. I'm almost a month out and down 20lbs. I have lots of energy, am never hungery, and am just super happy to have my sleeve. A far cry than my miserable old band.