Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well my paperwork hasnt even been submitted yet. It should be sent in next week. What was your BMI (if you dont mind my asking)?

Your paperwork is being sent next week but you don't know if your plan covers bariatric surgery. I'm confused. Have you or your docs office talked to a UHC rep yet? Generally you need to do that before you initiate the process and they would have told you then if it was covered. I had to go through Bariatric Resource Center before I could do any of the preop requirements.

It really does vary by employer. I suggest you call the 800 number on the back of your card and give them the diagnosis code 278.01 (which is insurance code for morbid obesity), then give them the procedure code for vertical sleeve whic is 43775. If the person at the 800 number doesn't know what these codes are just ask them for the number to "the care team". These are the people that process surgery requests and they know all about these codes. If the person on the phone asks you why you need this number just tell them your having surgery in 5 days ( no harm in telling a itty bitty white lie lol). Once they verify if you are covered have them fax a copy of your coverage and requirements to your surgeon or PCP office. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

PS. If your job doesnt cover the procedure go to your HR department and see if there is a process in order for the job to consider changing its insurance plan to include it.

I am so nervous had my clearances yesterday cardiologist ..psych..pulmonary...nutritionist...and pcp clearance and 5 years documented weight loss even though I was close to doing gb 16 years ago but was still having children but insurance is well aware had allt he testing then I am so ready now! I am 223 bmi is 39 with hypertension just dx and gerd and borderline diabetic and high cholesteral and severe osteo arthritis in my back and legs so I am praying praying my papers get submitted Monday uhc empire plan Please pray for me!

Has anyone had any problems getting the gastric sleeve approved with United Health Care?

No, I just had to follow their guidelines. I couldn't get it with Anthem BC/BS. Are they just stupid or what?

I was told that my UHC required the 6 month diet as well. BUT, my UHC case worker said that was not the case. I am in limbo right now and confused because the doc office case worker gave a one set of "insurance" requirements, but my actual insurance says something else.

I have UHC and they did require the 6 month diet, coming up on my 5th month weigh in. Have lost 18 pounds so far and the surgeon wants another 20 by my Dec weigh in. All other testing has been complete so they will send in my approval request in Dec after my weigh in and should get a surgery date in Jan.