Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what size sleeve are you?

My doctor would only go with the 40 bougie(spelling?). I have heard of 32m 34m and 36. I can get down 8 ounces of food easily. I keep reading how most of you only get down 3 ounces. He told me it really doesn't make a difference but it makes it harder in the beginning of surgery to get liquids down. I wonder if we all have a different size so we may have different issues? Anyone know their size?

I know mine was oversewed so that it ends up a 32.

My doc does 34 so that's what hubby and I both have. I'm at 6 weeks post op and my max intake is 2.5 oz. Hubby is at 4 weeks and gets down 2 oz. Fromt he general guidelines I hear you should be at about 4oz by 6 MONTHS, and 8oz by 12-18 months! Are you eating 8 oz of solid foods, or slider/squishy/mushy foods?

32fr bougie here. The only foods that I can get 8oz in are sliders, and super soft foods. It still takes me a good 30-40 minutes to eat that amount.

I started at 263lbs, today I weigh 120lbs. I can only eat 3-5oz of dense Protein foods. 3oz chicken breast, 5oz of steak cooked medium or rib meat. If I eat 3oz, I can have a few bites of veggies, if I eat 5oz of meat, nothing else is fitting in there.

I can eat 1 taco bell soft taco with the entire top or edges of the tortilla torn off. So, it's just the meat, cheese, lettuce, and about a 3inch strip of a tortilla.

I'm right at 13 months post-op.

I am at 14 months post op. I can also eat a soft taco from taco bell.

I can eat one piece of pizza. today I ate 2 ribs and I couldn't eat anymore. I can eat about 3 oz of steak. I can eat one chicken leg.

I never really measure oz.

I'm a 34. I am 7 weeks out. I can eat about 3 oz of food. I never got to go through the mushie phase. It was straight to solid protien for me. But seems like it's working pretty good for me.

I am a 40 and my restriction is much the same as Tiff's. But some days I just hardly eat anything at all..I'm 9.5 months out from surgery can eat very little.

My boughie size is a 40 and my doctor does some type of oversewing or reinforcement of the staple line that may decrease the volume of the sleeve. The oversewing is when they stitch around the staples to make the outer edge of the stomach more stable while it is healing after surgery. So, you would have a line of staples and then stitches of some kind all around the staples. Somebody help me if I described that wrong. I'm not sure yet if I got the oversew or the reinforcement material. I keep forgetting to ask.

As far as volume goes, I can't even get in 2 tablespoons of solid food right now. This may work out in the long term as things level off, but it's frustrating now because I'm struggling to get in Protein. I sometimes have difficulty with liquids and mushies, but I think that's a side effect of the hernia repair and the stress on my esophagus.

Have you talked to your surgeon about this yet?

Mine is a 40 with a sew over. Right now, I am very comfortable with the amount of food that I can eat, but I'm concerned about that because I am only 3 months out from surgery and from what I have heard, my stomach capacity will continue to increase over the next several months. I was not able to eat more than about 2 Tablespoons initially, but now I can eat about 3.5 oz of Protein plus a few bites of rice or potato. If I eat something soft, like yogurt, I can eat an entire 8 oz. cup. Even though I am feeling great and not having any trouble eating any foods, I am anxious about the fact that I am not feeling more restriction/limitation this soon out from surgery. I don't want to be able to eat much larger portions 9 months from now. If I could eat twice what I can eat right now, I think I would feel like I had wasted my money because that would allow me to eat too much food. I'm sure it's hard for our surgeons to know what the exact size is for each person that will create just the right amount of restriction to promote loss, then allow for healthy weight maintenance at the right time.

Hi! i'm new to the forum today and getting sleeved on July 6th. My doctor does a 32F. I didn't know how many oz. I would be able to eat. Are you really full with so little food? Wow! I just can't believe I will be full with so little food. Thanks for the info:)

April

Mine is a 40 with a sew over. Right now, I am very comfortable with the amount of food that I can eat, but I'm concerned about that because I am only 3 months out from surgery and from what I have heard, my stomach capacity will continue to increase over the next several months. I was not able to eat more than about 2 Tablespoons initially, but now I can eat about 3.5 oz of Protein plus a few bites of rice or potato. If I eat something soft, like yogurt, I can eat an entire 8 oz. cup. Even though I am feeling great and not having any trouble eating any foods, I am anxious about the fact that I am not feeling more restriction/limitation this soon out from surgery. I don't want to be able to eat much larger portions 9 months from now. If I could eat twice what I can eat right now, I think I would feel like I had wasted my money because that would allow me to eat too much food. I'm sure it's hard for our surgeons to know what the exact size is for each person that will create just the right amount of restriction to promote loss, then allow for healthy weight maintenance at the right time.

Katt I doubt you will ever be able to eat much more than you are eating now. The portion of the stomach which you are left with doesn't really stretch much. I'm 9 months out and I can eat very little. That you are comfortable with what you can eat now is something to be grateful for because it's of no consolation to me that I feel so easily full and often times w/discomfort. I think you will do great.

Thanks Lis,

I hope you are right about my stomach capacity not increasing much. Some of the other members who have been sleeved for over a year have said that they are able to eat quite a bit more at 12 mo. than they were able to at 3 mo.. My doctor said that as well, so I have been paying pretty close attention to how much I am able to eat. I am anxious about the future, and honestly, I'm just trying to stay relaxed and enjoy the fact that I can walk and have fun doing things again.

I am having 8 oz. of blended Soup with chicken in it. 4 oz. of blended hamburger meat with fat free gravy to make it mushy. That is quite a lot for 4 weeks out! I just hope in a year it is not double then that would not be good!

My doc does 34 so that's what hubby and I both have. I'm at 6 weeks post op and my max intake is 2.5 oz. Hubby is at 4 weeks and gets down 2 oz. Fromt he general guidelines I hear you should be at about 4oz by 6 MONTHS, and 8oz by 12-18 months! Are you eating 8 oz of solid foods, or slider/squishy/mushy foods?