Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here- Any Information on VSG would help me lots

Hi,

My name is Jen, I am a single parent and I am new to this sight I live in Calgary, AB. I just discovered the VSG Sleeve and so far finding it to be an awesome thing that I think I am considering having done. I have tried so many different diets, wasted so much money on all of them and to loose a few pounds and gain them back.

I am right now waiting to see if I qualify for funding to have this surgery done, once I do I am quite nervous as I dont really want to tell any friends or family as I tried to tell one friend and they just say I need to excercise and get out more, which I have tried also. I dont think my family or friends would understand.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Also what about work, what did you tell your work when you went for surgery? How do you get a doctors note without saying you are having weight loose surgery is a huge thing for myself.

Please tell me more about your experience and share any helpful hints as I want to know it all so I am not scared or nervous to get this done, I really do want to be thin finally and not have high blood pressure and live to see my kids graduate from high school (they are young now) but I feel like I cant do much with them and often am tired.

Thanks

:thumbup: Cant wait to get to know you all

HI Jen and welcome

I was in the same boat regarding other people - having yoyo'd for 20 yrs I felt like a magic wand was waved when I found out about this surgery.

I only told 2 people - my husband and my best friend. My friend was sceptical to start wondering how this could help mend my bad relationship with food.

I've not told family as i feel that they love me for who I am and don't understand the huge emotional battle I have had with my weight over the years. Having had several comments about my weight loss recently from friends and my dieting techniques ( I told them I was on a liquid diet for a month to boost the 18lbs I had already shed pre deciding to have the op) their reactions were so diverse i chose not to tell people as it opens up a can of worms in my experience.

It works for me - others spread the word loud and clear which I wish I could - maybe long term I will tell people I feel it may benefit.

Workwise I am luckily enough not to work, but I would say take the first 2 weeks off....I feel 'normal' now having gone past my 2nd week. Before that I felt tired and lacking energy. If you can get someone to help with your kids for a bit then that'd help as well no doubt.

You'll find this site great for help and information - I can't help regarding the insurance side or which surgeon as was self pay here in Spain ( I am an English ex pat). But I certainly will say I don't regret this surgery at all.

Good luck with it all and keep us informed how you get on.

Kathy

Hi Jen and welcome!

I am right with you on spending too much money on things that didn't work. I also have the family members/friends who think I should just work out more, go to the gym with them, etc. I haven't told a lot of people that I'm having the surgery because of that. I didn't even tell my dad, because I have heard it enough when I considered the surgery a few years ago.

As for work, I am taking 2 weeks off, and I did tell my supervisor that I'm having weight loss surgery. I am a nurse, and I mostly just wanted someone to know that there's a chance I might not actually be able to come back in 2 weeks like I had planned. Everyone else I work with thinks I'm going on vacation in July.

Since you're in Canada, I'm sure how it works, but for me, I had to get FMLA (Family Medical Leave), so I had to do the paperwork and have the doctor send some paperwork to my HR department. I am having surgery in Mexico, so I just had them fax it, and that way I didn't have to explain anything to anyone in that department. My husband is also having the surgery at the same time, and his papers just said "surgery". (His office gave him a copy of what was sent to them)He did tell his boss (who is also his friend) what we're having done, though.

My surgery is July 22nd, so I don't have a success story to share with you yet, but just the fact that I know this will work, and I'm excited to do it, and I actually have a date, is a huge success for me. Good luck with your journey!

Amy

Hi, Jen

I am having my surgery on July 19th. I decided that I would just plain tell everyone I know. I'm at the point that if someone doesn't like it or except it then I know who I truly want around me and who I do not.

I too have been reading the blogs and forums and have found it to almost be overwhelming how successful everyone has been. It seems like a God send.

You have to do what makes you feel best. If you want to tell people....do it. If not....don't. Just make sure you feel good about what you chose.

I'm not going to hide any part of my process. I am so excited and live my life a bit of an open book, but that is just me.

I wish you the very best.

TK

I am really lucky my husband and I will be having surgery on the same day. We are going to do this together! We both reached the decision on our own but I feel very fortunate to have his love and support. My work is pretty cool too. My boss is very supportive. I told him I will be on a liquid diet next week and he offered to have people only bring liquids into the office and if they want to eat anything else to go across campus. That was really nice. I laughed at that though, I don't think it will be necessary but I really appreciated his support. : )

Hi Jen and welcome!

I am right with you on spending too much money on things that didn't work. I also have the family members/friends who think I should just work out more, go to the gym with them, etc. I haven't told a lot of people that I'm having the surgery because of that. I didn't even tell my dad, because I have heard it enough when I considered the surgery a few years ago.

As for work, I am taking 2 weeks off, and I did tell my supervisor that I'm having weight loss surgery. I am a nurse, and I mostly just wanted someone to know that there's a chance I might not actually be able to come back in 2 weeks like I had planned. Everyone else I work with thinks I'm going on vacation in July.

Since you're in Canada, I'm sure how it works, but for me, I had to get FMLA (Family Medical Leave), so I had to do the paperwork and have the doctor send some paperwork to my HR department. I am having surgery in Mexico, so I just had them fax it, and that way I didn't have to explain anything to anyone in that department. My husband is also having the surgery at the same time, and his papers just said "surgery". (His office gave him a copy of what was sent to them)He did tell his boss (who is also his friend) what we're having done, though.

My surgery is July 22nd, so I don't have a success story to share with you yet, but just the fact that I know this will work, and I'm excited to do it, and I actually have a date, is a huge success for me. Good luck with your journey!

Amy

Hi Amy, Thanks for the kind words. I got my financing today, and was so excited it was like wow this is real, so I am going through a program called weight loose forever which is super awesome because I have had someone to guide me and support me so far to make my decision and she will be coming with me when I go for the surgery so I wont be alone. I think I will be booking for August.

Good luck with your date, cant wait to hear how it went for you

Hi Jen and All:

I am struggling with telling my Mom. Regardless of what I do-have surgery or not, she will blame herself..if anything were to go wrong. My husband (so supportative) thinks I might wait till after but I am so close with my family I don't know how to disappear for a few days. We see each other 3-4 times a week.....It is really a hard decision ...I have told my best friends...they are all supportative...my best friends husband thinks I am nuts...(also my boss) he just thinks I need to exercise more and eat "better". Having worked in the school system all my life is like living in a bubble- everone will see and have something to say or ask... how will I ever dodge those questions... I have been to hundreds of WW meetings and I guess they will just assume I on a diet again.... but hey! this time I wont be gaining it all back!

For me its tough because my parents and I are really close, but I cant tell them about this because of the financial costs they would not understand that. I am a bit nervous just because I am not telling anyone and what if something goes truly wrong while I am down there and no one knows where I am. Luckily I will have support from one person who has gone through the surgery herself. So I am feeling much better about going now.

Best wishes to everyone going to have surgery.

I, too, dreaded telling certain people, but maybe you'll have the same experience I did and it will be positive. I dreaded telling my pcp since last year when I went to a non-surgical bariatric dr. he had fits about it thinking I was going to have surgery. But I went in prepared to do battle FOR his approving my surgery...and he was all for it. No battle necessary.

I dreaded telling my mom because I was sure she would be against it. I was wrong. She is being super supportive (as well as my pcp).

It's amazing how wrong I was about their reactions. I assumed (and we all know what that does to u and my, lol).