Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boston Hospitals??

I was looking to see if anyone has had their lap-band done at Tufts New England Medical Center in Boston? What was your experience there and would you recommend this hospital? I have my first appointment at the end of june there. I have been looking around this forum for experiences at tufts, but have not come across any. I have read of experiences from other hospitals located in Boston. I am hoping to hear of some experience from Tufts. :girl_hug:

Thanks!

I had my surgery done 3/14/06 by Ashley Vernon at Brigham & Women's Hospital. I had a great experience. I don't know about NEMC's program... Good Luck!

Hi,

Do a search here, just put in Boston or NEMC you'll get some background.

I'm in the middle of the NEMC Tufts program right now. I chose them because of their experience with both the bypass and band. It wasn't difficult to choose the place that did over 1,000 laproscopic surgeries v.s. a few hundred. The 3 surgeons are very well known in the field, particularly Dr. Shikora. I am going for Dr. Tarnoff. Google them

The great thing and very lucky thing is that living in the Boston area really affords us a choice of excellent hospitals. Each one seems to be a little different in protocol.

Most cost $500 up front without insurance. This pays for the various lectures, group modification meetings, psychologist etc etc. It takes a while to work through it all. I started late April and hope to be banded in July. They are experts and they want you to stick with them after you have the surgery. I believe that fills are free for life. They don't want a liquid diet pre-surgery but they do want you to lose about 10% of your weight.

I am not a group person and the long wait has gotten to me on occasion. (the group behavior meets 6 weeks in a row-and you do not miss any) I keep thinking that come on lets do it already! It has been a hassle to go back and forth (I live outside of Boston) running from work, taking the train, trying to make every appt on time. But then I remember the medicial expertise and I chill.

Hope this helps!

thanks so much for all you help. My cousin had Dr Tarnoff too. She loved him. I also live outside of boston and I am not looking forward to the drive in and out for all the initial appointments. I have a question why Tarnoff over shikora, Isen't shikora the chief?? Do they let you choose who does your surgery?? well, thanks again and I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery.

You're welcome. How come your cousin hasn't given you the details of the NEMC program? I am glad she liked Tarnoff though. From what I understand all three surgeons are equally as good. Shikora is the head guy an it seemed to be a longer wait to see him. Frankly I would feel confident with any of the three. Yes, you get to choose your surgeon. You choose your appt time and surgeon. The surgeon you choose to have your initial appt with is the surgeon who does your surgery. You don't talk to one and switch over for your actual surgery. I don't know where you live but if you can get on the train into North Station-its just a T ride to NEMC-it has its own T stop. But you do have to go...a lot. The Psychologist appointments (2 times or more), the Exercise Physiologist ( 2 times or more), a medical doc for your check up, the 6 week group behavior modification (once a week for 6 weeks), your nutritionist appt (1 or 2 times or more), various lectures, your surgeon appt. and more. When they say its a commitment they aren't kidding. But it goes by fast and your are really informed and ready. When did you cousin have her surgery and how is she doing? (by pass or lap?)

I had my surgery at BIDMC by Dr. Schneider. I had an awesome experience while in the hospital, and the follow up care is good too.

My cousin and I were close as kids. we talk at family get togethers and thats really about it ;) Anywho, she had the lap band and has lost 70lbs. this summer is a year for her "I think". To be honest I am really getting freaked out and think I am gonna postpone my appt. I just called LA wieghtloss and have an appt there tonight. I have never really, really tried to lose wieght. I always quit within a few weeks. I also have PCOS so it does make wieght loss more difficult "insulin resistance" I got medication in april called Metformin and have not even started it yet. It is supossed to make wieght loss easier for people with insulin resistance if used with diet and excercise. I have really bad habits. I eat out ALOT and I NEVER excercise. I really have to try before I go through this. The new patient meeting they have at tufts to hear of all the options the hospital offers I cant make this month cause I am on vacation and my appt is this month, so I would not get to go to the meeting before begining. I don't know, I was so sure about this and really have been thinking about it for years. Ever since I got an appt I have gone back and forth?? I think, I am gonna have to make these changes with or without the band, so TRY!!! I think if I give it a serious try and I still cant lose wieght then I will be much more at ease with having this done. I hope!!! I do need to lose wieght really bad for my health I have so much going on with my health and losing wieght would be the answer to cure most of it! I guess I am scared to add more problems to my health "if the band was to fail in some way." Also since I am not so sure, I don't want to keep june's appt and loose $500. I believe I had to pay that on my first visit. well thanks again. I will still be coming to the forum to read about other people's journey's with the lap-band. God, I hope I am doing the right thing and not just prolonging being unhealthy!!! best wish to you all :D

Hello all ,

I had my surgery at the NEMC with doctor Tarnoff. It was all good as I am now 4 weeks post op. I have to say the whole team has been very professional and I will be back toward June 20th for my first fill . Please ask me if you have any questions ...If you call his office they will take care of you...write me any time...

Seminole

I went to LA wieght loss and think I will join that program and try on my own first. Like I said before, I really never truly tried too lose wieght. Do you guys think that is a good decision? I hope it is. Did you guys try alot of weight loss programs first? looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. ttys

Seminole,

I remember reading that you don't live in the US. What kind of accomodations did they make for you about the program? In other words, there is no way you could do a 6 week behavior modification group. Did you see the exercie physiologist, nutritionist, med doc, surgeon and psychologist all in week or so?

I am glad I chose NEMC-they have so many of the surgeries. I know there isn't a pre-op liquid diet. Can you tell me about the steps after my surgery date is set? Is there a gall bladder test? ekg?

You went back to your hotel the same day as surgery? That is great! I think they send most everyone home if the surgery went ok. I haven't yet heard about the post op diet-sounds like you didn't have to stick to fluids only?

thanks for the info. Tarnoff sounds like he knows what he is doing alright!!!

pier13,

You have to do what is right for you. You know NEMC is there should you decide to go for it. I never tried LA Weightloss but I tried most everything else. I look foward to having a tool that is mine and will give me a solid chance of keeping the weight off.

Stay on the boards-you have time to decide.

Diva,

thanks, I am gonna stay on the boards so I can stay up to date with lap band news and everyone's stories. If this program "LA wieght loss" doesn't work. I will be making another appt at tufts, no dought about it. I have to really give it a go first on my own, then I will be secure in a decision for a future appointments for surgery if needed. thanks so much for all your support. Best wish to you with your up coming surgery, Please keep us posted with your success :P

Oh ya, I have a question. the $500 due for the program what is that for exactly?? When I spoke to my ins company they said I was approved for both private and group behavioral therapy. My responsibility would be only my co-pay.

Seminole,

How are you feeling, are you in alot of pain? Thats really great you'll be going in for your fill soon. I wish you the best with your wieght journey. Keep us posted.

Diva,

I have to tell you that I was a special situation for NEMC. This is how it worked for me and don't quote me on this. I filled in the information on there website for more information. I told them that I live outside of the US and would like to have surgery on a certain day. The office wrote back and told me they would be happy to take on my case. I told my insurance company of the hospital I would be using and they contacted the proper offices at the hospital. I flew to Boston on Sunday. Had pre op appointments on Monday, blood, ekg,chest xray...then met the doctor for a few minutes maybe 5-10 minutes. Talked to the nutritionist and got weighed. The next day went in for surgery at about 12.30 and at about 5 pm I was rolled across the street to my hotel "the Doubletree" and rested for a couple of days. On the Friday I request a follow up visit and they I was on my way back home. Two weeks post op I went back to them for about a 15 minute visit and saw the nutritionist and the doctors assistant and away I went ...

I go back to Boston on June 20th fill 21st and fly back on the 22nd. Please don't use my way as the norm....Like I said I was a special case...

Seminole,

wow, thats great that you were able to have your surgery here. Will you always fly back to Boston for fills? How often do people get fills? I don't know much about the after care of the surgery.