Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do I do if there are medications I take that don't come in liquid form? I take Cymbalta and it's in a capsule that can't be crushed and doesn't come in liquid. I've tried before to wean myself off of it and it was HELL. Has anyone else come up against this issue??

Anything that comes in a capsule, has to be opened and you take it like that. I just put it as far back on my tongue as possible and then wash it down. Any other pills can be crushed. The exception to crushing pills, is if any of them are "CR", controlled release. CR pills can't be crushed, but it's possible that the dr can switch you to the regular version. Before my surgery, I even got Tylenol and Benadryl in liquid form so I would have them on hand if needed.

I am sorry to ask -- but I am a little confused -- does that mean that ALL pills from now on have to be crushed or cut up?

I take a capsule that is an amino acid that let you sleep at night. I also take oracea that is for my face that is also a capsule. I can't imagine opening them up and just taking the powder? Is this what the dr has said?

Also, when we have a headache after surgery, what can we take? Is it going to have to be in liquid form?

You should talk with your psychiatrist NOW, so that he/she can put you on a different SSNRI or SSRI if necessary, and phase you down in a controlled way, if that is what's necessary. Your medical team should address this issue- NOW, not post-op. Good luck!

My surgury isn't until July 26th, but my Dr. told me that a capsule is fine to take. He also said pills can just be cut in half.

I guess it varies from doctor to doctor. But, mine said not to take capsules. Check with your own dr and see what advice you get.

I take prozac in capsule form. Have had no problems. My dr said all my medications could still be taken.

What do I do if there are medications I take that don't come in liquid form? I take Cymbalta and it's in a capsule that can't be crushed and doesn't come in liquid. I've tried before to wean myself off of it and it was HELL. Has anyone else come up against this issue??

They started me on small pills in the hospital the night of my surgery after I passed my leak test. It was a little uncomfortable the first couple of times I took them, but no problem really. I think I took a zyrtec and a prevacid in pill form. When I came home, I needed to take omeprazole but it's a pretty big capsule. My doc told me to wait until the second week to try that one because it might get stuck, so I'm using a liquid acid reducer until I can take the omeprazole. Your surgeon should be able to tell you which pills you'll be cleared to take. Then, you can give that info to the prescribing doctor and let them decide if they need to substitute something.

I was on cymbalta for chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia and I know the w/d can be hell. I did stop it shortly before surgery and had no problems this time. Don't know why.

The other problem with cymbalta is that it is timed released. Talk to your prescribing doc and your bariatric doc. I don't know if you a re taking it for pain or depression or both but if it is for pain maybe nortryptiline would work instead.

I just was just diagnosed with vascular Migraines and told to use excedrin Migraine before my surgery. It worked great but I cant use it now.

They started me on small pills in the hospital the night of my surgery after I passed my leak test. It was a little uncomfortable the first couple of times I took them, but no problem really. I think I took a zyrtec and a prevacid in pill form. When I came home, I needed to take omeprazole but it's a pretty big capsule. My doc told me to wait until the second week to try that one because it might get stuck, so I'm using a liquid acid reducer until I can take the omeprazole. Your surgeon should be able to tell you which pills you'll be cleared to take. Then, you can give that info to the prescribing doctor and let them decide if they need to substitute something.

Dr. Aceves told us to dissolve the Nexium in a small amount of Water. That seems to work for me

When i had my surgery, my doctor didn't stop me from taking my pills whole. . he told me that it wouldn't hurt to take them like that and didn't need to be crushed. . .i've been taking my pills whole ever since without a problem . . good luck!