Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had the sleeve done in FL? I'm trying to find a good surgeon. Its either this or Mexicali. I live in Miami and the one place that does it here isn't the best when it comes to answering phone calls and getting back to me. I don't like that. So if anyone has had a surgeon in FL and it was a good experience please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi

I live in central Florida and have a 7/14/2010 surgery date with

Dr. Marin Dan Radulescu

77 West Underwood Street

4th Floor, Suite A

Orlando, FL 32806

web site: Bariatric Surgery Orlando

he and his office staff seem very professional and efficent.

I can report back when it is all over if you like.

Lou

I am set to be sleeved on June 29th with Dr. De La Cruz Munoz. He is Miami, Florida

He has some amazing stories and I have heard he is one of the best. I'll let you know how it goes.

@Lillita oh wow really?? you'll definitely have to let me know how that goes. i was going to go with the doctors at H.O.P.E. center who are out of South Miami and Baptist. I haven't heard of De La Cruz Munoz. I will def look into him. And yes please please let me know about your experience!! Are you self pay or insurance?

I have insurance through United Health Care... the process was easy and it only took about 2 weeks for approval. Their staff is super knowledgeable. Attend one of the seminars.. They do all surgeries at the University of Miami Hospital (by Jackson).

If you want their contact info -- let me know and I will be happy to send it to you. So far, I am very happy!! My surgery is on Tuesday -- and although I have to be HONEST, I am scared -- I am totally confident in his abilities. ;)

wow. i have united and i was denied. but its because my husband's job specifically excludes the surgery. :/

but good luck!!!

I am having surgery with Dr. Eddie Gomez in Miami. The insurance dude is horrible at returning calls, so I have to call and call until I can get a hold of him. Everyone else is responsive. Dr. Gomez has done 600 Sleeves with six leaks, which I think is a good record. The hospital he is now with has been very, very attentive, which is nice. It is Jackson South, which is in Kendall. Monday is my surgery date and I am definitely ready.

I've known of Dr. Gomez' reputation for several years, but can understand the turn off because of the office staff not returning calls. It is being dealt with however, I believe.

Jill

Jill thanks for the info. I already found a surgeon (Dr. Enrique Whittwell). He works out of 3 diff hospitals (south miami, UM jackson memorial, hialeah hospital) and in 10 yrs he's never had a complication. he hasn't done as many sleeves (600 is a lot! wow!) but he's done about 80 and hundreds of bypasses. but i feel confident he's good.

good luck with your surgery!!!!!

Too funny, I was just going to suggest him. While I had my surgery with Aceves, a very close friend of mine just had hers done with Whitwell in March. She was thrilled with all aspects from beginning to end. I was there for her through the surgery and witnessed how well they took care of her. My only "beef" was they let her out of the hospital the very next day. I was skeptical but, since such excellent care was so close, I suppose it wasn't that big of a deal.

Oh, Whitwell recommended a Dr. Ross for aftercare/PCP - who is supposed to be just fantastic. Very, very caring, concerned and does most basic procedures (like drawing blood) right there in his office. I made an appointment with him myself for later this month.

Good luck I think you'll be very happy with Dr. Whitwell!

C

thank you!! i appreciate that! i keep getting positive feedback that makes me thing i'm on the right path. :) they told me sleeve patients require a 2 night stay in the hospital. but maybe she was doing really well and they sent her home a day early? but its good that it was an all around positive experience. :)

Dr. Robert Althar, from Pace, Florida (near Pensacola) did my surgery and I could not have been in better hands. I highly recommend him.

thank you!! i appreciate that! i keep getting positive feedback that makes me thing i'm on the right path. :) they told me sleeve patients require a 2 night stay in the hospital. but maybe she was doing really well and they sent her home a day early? but its good that it was an all around positive experience. :)

She did do wonderfully and since she had the surgery early the day before, I guess you could say she was there two days. It all worked out wonderfully - she's lost almost 80 pounds (of 150) since March 25!

She did do wonderfully and since she had the surgery early the day before, I guess you could say she was there two days. It all worked out wonderfully - she's lost almost 80 pounds (of 150) since March 25!

wow thats amazing!!! hope mine goes as well and that i have that kind of success! it would be awesome to see my whole family at christmas and look noticeably thinner :) i'm planning to get mine in mid august.

My surgeon was Dr. Muhammed Jawad in Ocala, FL. www.jawadmd.com

I think he has had about 25 years doing weight loss surgeries and his practice is one of the Bariatric Centers of Excellence. I have been told that he has the lowest rate of complications of any surgeon in FL performing WLS. The office staff is very responsive to phone calls, and I have had not had any problems since my surgery. I would certainly recommend him, and I know that people are driving from Georgia and South Carolina to have him perform their surgeries. I hope all goes well in your search!