Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Permanente is Southern California

Yes, Debbie was my case manager. Remember, my Options classes were 24 weeks long, so I'm sure things have changed, but we had about 3 visits with a bariatric dr. there during those 6 mos. I don't even remember the name of mine, but he was very thin, tall, dark hair and soft spoken.(I remember I could barely hear what he was saying) Anyway just before the end of the classes was the appt. with the doctor where he said ok, you're ready to go forward after Options and he was ready to put my referral through to West La and that they were taking patients immediately with no wait, (but Harbor City had a 2 month wait). He said I didn't even need any pre-op tests. Well I wasn't prepared to hear that and thought I had another few weeks to make up my mind because at that point I was actually having second thoughts. We decided I would see him again in 2wks with my decision. When I went back I said ok I'm ready and Debbie put my referral through for West LA by mistake (I wanted Dr.Zane at Harbor City). West LA actually called me right away with a surgeon appt. but I had to start over with my referral to Harbor City! That was kind of a bummer, but I ended up seeing Dr. Zane about 2 months later and we scheduled the surgery. There were a few pre-op tests like EKG and blood work, but nothing much. I do remember that the girls that taught Options were a little out of touch with not only how the surgery was done, but they always told us everything would take longer than it really did. I remember the instructor, (Kristen, maybe) was a whole 130 lbs her whole life and seemed to have these stories of struggling with her weight which I could never understand. The nutritionist was a bit condescending to us, and not in the greatest shape, so I was not very impressed with Options at all. I learned more from this site honestly, but still glad they make you go through it, because you do come out more prepared than a lot of people who are self pay and jump right into surgery. Hope that helps. I know you're anxious to move forward, but use this time to really prepare yourself and get used to eating light. You'll get in faster than you think.

@ MB20MOM

Completed my 10th class last night....yeah 2 more to go...in fact I asked when we find out the next steps once we complete the class and they told us that we find that out the last class. Go figure....we have not met anyone or have been told anything about the process. I could not agree with you more on not learning anything...everything that has been taught I know already and finally last night I got some good info on what the diet will be after surgery. I hope this thing with Debbie not calling me back is not a indication of how things are ganna go when I am done with classes! I decided to go to the orientation tonight at pacific thought might as well get that over with....I hate being in the dark...I feel so blind going into this and what the process will be!! I have kind of put 2 and 2 together based on what everyone says....seems I well see the pcp then he will send me for lab work then once recieved they will give me the green light and send my paperwork to pacific...after that I schedule the consult and then hopefully get my surgery date!! I am so excited....:thumbup:

Hey Everyone It's been a minute and tonight is the last night of Options. Whewwwww!!!!! Signed the release for records form for Pacific Bariatric and waiting for authorization number from Kaiser to have the one day consult in San Diego. We were that if all goes well, surgery can be in exactly six weeks, which will be November 1. I sure hope so; in my case anyway.

I hope everyone is doing great in whatever stage you are in, be it pre or post surgery.

BlaqBeary awesome news so happy for u! Well I am on week 11 now...have class tonight. Yes almost done. I went to the orientation at Pacific Bariatric and it seems like an excellent hospital. Unfortunatly I did talk to the case manager and she said we have to wait until we are done with class to do labs. Right after the last class we see the pcp and they will give us the green light to get labs done...I am ok now bc it has gone by fast...2-3 more months should be cake!!

yes i am truly excited. I have noticed eacn facility operates differently. We completed labs throughout the program so the doctor could watch how we were doing. For example, I am anemic and now I am required to take 2 Iron pills a day to build my blood.

BlaqBeary awesome news so happy for u! Well I am on week 11 now...have class tonight. Yes almost done. I went to the orientation at Pacific Bariatric and it seems like an excellent hospital. Unfortunatly I did talk to the case manager and she said we have to wait until we are done with class to do labs. Right after the last class we see the pcp and they will give us the green light to get labs done...I am ok now bc it has gone by fast...2-3 more months should be cake!!

yes i am truly excited. I have noticed eacn facility operates differently. We completed labs throughout the program so the doctor could watch how we were doing. For example, I am anemic and now I am required to take 2 Iron pills a day to build my blood.

So are you going to be able to proceed with your surgery now since you are anemic or do u have to bring your Iron up first?

Yes, I am able to proceed. Ive been taking the Iron now for a month and completed more labs since I began. Im just waiting patiently.

So are you going to be able to proceed with your surgery now since you are anemic or do u have to bring your iron up first?

I have a history of anemia which steams from PCOS and the mest of periods!!Do you mind me asking what brand of Iron u take and the dose? I am worried about anemic when I get my labs done....I have my last class Tuesday the 28th and want to make sure that I have my iron up:thumbup:

Nature Made Iron. I bought at Target.

QUOTE=thin2be;80863]I have a history of anemia which steams from PCOS and the mest of periods!!Do you mind me asking what brand of Iron u take and the dose? I am worried about anemic when I get my labs done....I have my last class Tuesday the 28th and want to make sure that I have my iron up:thumbup:

I completed the Options course on September 21st at Panorama City. My total weight loss during Options was 24 pounds, so I"m feeling pretty good.

I was told that as of 9/21, the wait time at West Los Angeles, where i intend to have my surgery is about 14 weeks. This will give me a chance to maybe drop a few more pounds and complete everything needed before the surgery.

Congrats for passing this stepping stone. 14 weeks is really not a long time. Classes were only 12.

I completed the Options course on September 21st at Panorama City. My total weight loss during Options was 24 pounds, so I"m feeling pretty good.

I was told that as of 9/21, the wait time at West Los Angeles, where i intend to have my surgery is about 14 weeks. This will give me a chance to maybe drop a few more pounds and complete everything needed before the surgery.

Hi I'm new to this site, I have questions. I did my Options classes at Baldwin Park, I finished classes June 13th. On July 8th I was referred to West L.A. I was told

I'd be contacted by West L.A. within a few weeks,I was never contacted but I recieved an appointment card for July 26th. I'm not sure what the appointment is for psych eval or something else. Please let me know if you can, thank you. I'm new to this journey!!

Hello, I'm new to the site too. I will start my options program on 10/03/11. I have not researched a surgeon yet. I am going to the Anaheim options program and I heard that they use the PB an fountain Valley hospital. Is anyone familiar with Fountain Valley?

By the way, I'm very excited about this journey!

Had mine on August 4 at South Bay Kaiser. Don't sweat the approval, the doctor will most likely approve it. At the required meeting with the doctors (all the patients planning surgery in a period) the only reason they said they would deny was someone 100 or more pounds overweight, over the age 60 and had some sort of condition which would indicate they would not be able to follow through with the dietary requirements.