Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leaning Towards Dr. Aceves

I have been for my 1st consult to surgeon, but my insurance doesn't cover vertical sleeve, it has approved me for gastric bypass. I'm looking to finance for vertical sleeve w/Dr. Aceves, I just am not comfortable w/bypass. My regular Dr. is pushing me towards lap band. I want the sleeve! From researching the forums, Dr. Aceves sounds like the best DR. I have seen. Has anyone ever heard or had a bad experience with him. I would be traveling from VA. I would love to be able to stay in U.S. but it doesn't seem financially possible. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks!

hi new sleever, i definitely recommend Dr. Aceves, you are right, he is your best choice.....i'd say if he reccommends having the bypass, then go ahead, he has lots of experience and you can rely on him. His staff is very professional and all your effort will be worth it. Have you already contacted Nina? she's the patient coordinator and she'll gladly give you all the information you need. :drool5:

I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves. I had NO problems whatsoever beyond getting used to my new stomach. I've also been impressed that when I had follow-up questions after the surgery, I can just email them and someone gets back to me right away. I was surprised that they would continue to answer questions after the surgery, and I felt that was a plus. I would recommend him.

I had a great experience with Dr. Aceves and his team as well. Good luck with you decision.

Thanks so much for input. This is such a big decision, learning so much from the forums.

I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves last week and was totally impressed (it was my 7th abdominal surgery so I had a little experience for comparison). My husband and I decided it was actually a blessing that I lost my insurance battle and had to self-pay.

My surgeon here is great but I think Dr. Aceves is better. I loved the fact that I had a spinal instead of just a general. I've had absolutely no pain. I also liked being in the hospital for 3 days. I couldn't imagine going home the same day like my doctor here does. The care was fantastic as is the follow up. I had a year to do research and I couldn't ever find a negative thing about Dr. Aceves. For me, it was well worth it.

Britt

I searched and searched before I had surgery with Dr. Aveves trying to find anything I could that was negative. I couldn't find anything or anyone negative on any forum. Everyone loved him and everyone at the hospital. When I went there, I found out why. They are so great there and treat their patients like royalty.

Mary,

May I ask when you had the surgery? I am looking into the sleeve with Dr. Aceves. I am just trying to get some information from patients on their recent experiences and their personal recommendations?

Would you be willing to answer questions via email (more specifics)? I am kind of nervous about Mexico.

Thanks for your time.

I think you sent this message to the wrong person. I have not had the surgery yet. Just beginning by talking to Dr. Aceves' office.

My wife had surgery with Dr. Aceves a year ago. He will also be doing my revision from band to sleeve.

Dr Aceves is highly qualified, with over 700 sleeves and NO leaks. He's board certified, teaches other surgeons how to perform the procedure, is highly respected by his peers, and on top of that is just a very kind and caring human being. He will give you the best advice about which surgery is most appropriate for your personal condition, and he is not "in it for the money", so you can be sure it will be a recommendation based on what's best for YOU.

I cannot say enough good things about my experience with him, and I am VERY picky, did months of research before selecting him, and am very happy with the outcome. His staff still keeps in touch, and I get prompt answers to any questions via email.

The downside to going to Mexico in my opinion is that some physicians here in the US can be biased, and when you mention that you went to Mexico their eyebrows go up. My internist seems to be fine with the idea, but my gastroenterologist who does my follow-up visits seems to have a negative view about it. His notes always say "...had VSG surgery in Mexico". Like that's a problem? If I had it done in California, I doubt that he'd write "had VSG surgery in California". It irks me. But there's nothing I can do about it.

There's a popular travel show on TV where the host ends each program with the quote "travel is lethal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness". Maybe US physicians need to travel more...:001_rolleyes:

You can't go wrong with Aceves...he's the best of the best. Call Rene 602-670-3496 his RN and she'll answer all your questions. He's done like 800 sleeves and never had one leak. And he's a lil' bit sexy too =)

I think they would note it, even if you had it done in California. My doctor notes my band was done in Kansas City and by who, whenever he mentions it. I think, they do that so they can emphasize that thye didn't do it, but are giving you post care, or so they can remember what prodedure you have had done.

My PcP was very good about it when I told him Dr. Aceves did my surgery. He said some of those Mexican surgeons could teach US doctors a thing or two.

Dr. Aceves is the greatest and his reputation just follows him around. If anyone has anything negative to say about him, I've sure never been able to find it.

Had my surgery with Doctor Aceves Jan 25th of this year. I would

go back in a heart beat. Really like everything about the care and Hosptial.

I too could not find anything bad about Dr. Aceves.

Good luck,

Gary