Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days out and no restrictions???

I was sleeved on june 3rd and I can already eat everything i did before the surgery!! I dont feel any restrictions!! Im already eating steak and I had cake for my sons birthday!! Is this normal?? It seems like everyone else cant eat anything but mush foods!! I just hope I didnt go through this for nothing!! any suggestions??

I was sleeved on june 3rd and I can already eat everything i did before the surgery!! I dont feel any restrictions!! Im already eating steak and I had cake for my sons birthday!! Is this normal?? It seems like everyone else cant eat anything but mush foods!! I just hope I didnt go through this for nothing!! any suggestions??

WOW! That seems like really dense food for this early out. What does your surgeon/nut say? How much food and cake did you eat? One bite or a "normal" serving?

This doesn't sound right to me. I am 5 weeks out, and just now starting to eat small bites of grilled chicken and very small bites of Hamburger. 3 or 4 bites, and I'm full. Can't believe your eating cake. The sugar normally causes the "Dumping Syndrome" in most sleeve patients. Wow...Guess everyone is different.

Just a suggestion...but even if you "can" eat certain foods...your stomach surgery is still in the healing phase. You might actually hurt yourself by eating such dense food as steak. I would totally recommend speaking with your doctor

I would highly recommend moving back to mushy/slushy foods, at least for now.

I'm not a doctor, but 12 days to solids sounds scary to me. You may be setting yourself up for complications.

Technically with chewing properly everything can become mushy. Can you clarify if you are talking about the ability to eat quantities of food or if you mean you can take a bite of any kind of food? Also what was the bougie size your doctor used? After a month and a half I still have issues with any type of food I eat too fast or do not chew properly. I can probably eat 4 oz of solids and 6-8 oz of mushy/slider foods (slide right through the sleeve easily like yogurt)--what is the quantity you can eat?

Edit: technically with a slider I could eat more than 8 oz cause it keeps sliding through--I just don't because I have no hunger. If you are eating a slider type of food in high quantities that is not abnormal as far as physically possible, its just not a healthy use of the VSG tool. Don't get me wrong I still make mistakes, its just a matter of not returning to bad habits.

Edited by Swiftflow

well I only had a couple of bites of the cake but I probably ate about 5 oz of steak!! I did chew it until it was very mushy and I didnt even feel full!! It's the same with drinking fluids I can still drink like normal I dont have to sip!! I myself thought it was weird I keep expecting to feel somthing that signals Im full but I dont get that "full" feeling!! I see my doctor tomorrow and Im going to ask him but I really wanted to see if its only me having this problem or if anyone else has?? also what makes it really strange to me is instead of staying 2 days I had to stay 6 days in the hospital because I was unable to drink or eat anything. but once i came home that totally changed!! I really dont want to do anything to hurt my chances of sucess but I feel im still having the same habits I did before and I dont have the restriction to tell me to slow down =*(

Edited by Mommy4

Your nerves have been cut so you might not feel a full signal. It is not uncommon. Grant it, most people don't get a full signal because they're on super thin liquids, or mushies. If you chewed it to a mush, and ate slowly, maybe you could get in that much. I know that I'm a year out, and I can barely get in 5 ounces of steak. Are you drinking with your meals?

On the dumping with VSG, I have never "dumped" on anything. I ate a huge amount of cake icing a few days ago, I eat candy on a fairly regular basis, and I have ice cream now and then. A very, very small percentage of VSG patients experience any form of dumping. Only 30% of RNY patients experience, and from all my time on the boards, I would have to say that the percentage of VSG patients that dump is closer to 5- maybe a big maybe 10%.

My advice, measure your food, and when we know better, we should do better. Stick to small portions, and use caution when eating certain foods. Your incision line is not healed 100%, and your risk for a leak is still higher than what it would be at 6 weeks out.

Even though the sleeve will give you restriction once your nerves come back, you'll still have to change your eating habits and food choices. I can eat an enormous piece of cake without issue, but I choose to not do it. Just because I can, doesn't mean I should do it. The sleeve will only do so much, the majority of our success depends on us, nothing more.

well said and cleared everything up for me. i can eat alot sometimes and i keep eating . i too don't get that " full " feeling ALL the time. sometimes I can't eat but 800 cal or less then I can have 1200 or less. i love my sleeve. I'm 11 weeks out and i still have left side pain. its the muscle and it will probablt take 3-4 months to fully heal. I can eat almost anything but I try to make healthy choices. i eat alot of Protein . and i get in my Water and exercise daily. Now i'm at a stall but it should move again. i've lost 36lbs so far. thanks everyone ..

i'm 2 weeks out today and get to advance to mushy foods. I ate a whole banana

before i felt full and had no issues. I did not get all that full especially on full liquids. I can eat 6 ounces of yogurt and just feel satisfied not really full. I'm not freaking out and raiding the fridge tho, I keep pretty busy and sometimes forget about food. But I'm just saying...it seems like I can eat a good amount if I go slow and chew well. It just surprises me. I can drink normally and even gulp ...a few gulps and not feel that weird pressure that I did the first few days post op.

I'm too scared to eat steak yet. I would be worried about the staple line still. I ate some pureed chicken salad tonight though with no problems about 1/4 cup..didn't really feel full but don't want to push it. I was satisfied. It was yummy!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my surgery 13 days before you and there is no way I could eat what you have posted.

I'm still on mushy foods. I tried eating some chicken, pureed and it took like two teaspoons and I was full.

I hope everything is okay with you.

Let us know what your doctor says.

You are risking complications eating steak so soon after surgery. Your staple line has to heal without dense food pressing up against it.

Did your dr. not give you a post op diet to follow?

Liquids are not a guage for most of us, I can down 32 oz of liquid in a couple of mins if I wanted too, but I still can't eat much more than 4 oz of solids. Your body is designed to hold substance in the stomach until it is liquid and then it passes to the intestines so if its already liquid and you don't have swelling issues you can drink non-stop (not that you should--it's just possible) I agree with everyone saying that you should not be "testing" steak at this point, but since you have I have to ask did you drink while eating? Thats a good way to help stuff slide through your sleeve and defeat the sleeve's purpose as a tool. So if your drinking with meals that is also a reason stuff can slide through. I think all surgeons recommend not drinking during or until at least 30-45 mins after a meal--make sure and ask your doc his guidelines.

Edited by Swiftflow

well I only had a couple of bites of the cake but I probably ate about 5 oz of steak!! I did chew it until it was very mushy and I didnt even feel full!! It's the same with drinking fluids I can still drink like normal I dont have to sip!! I myself thought it was weird I keep expecting to feel somthing that signals Im full but I dont get that "full" feeling!! I see my doctor tomorrow and Im going to ask him but I really wanted to see if its only me having this problem or if anyone else has?? also what makes it really strange to me is instead of staying 2 days I had to stay 6 days in the hospital because I was unable to drink or eat anything. but once i came home that totally changed!! I really dont want to do anything to hurt my chances of sucess but I feel im still having the same habits I did before and I dont have the restriction to tell me to slow down =*(

Are you drinking fluids as you eat, if so you should not drink any fluids for about 30 min. after you eat. If you do it washes the food out.

I can only echo what the others have posted, and ask did you not get a post op diet from your Dr?

It takes me about 45-50 mins to get a Protein shake down me and I daren't even swallow my Nexium, let alone debate taking a bite of something....

Please do be carefull - your staple lines need time to heal before you start to advance in the food stages.... I think I read somewhere that the first 2 weeks are the worst time for leaks, so maybe you want to go back to mushies or even full liquids and check with your DR before advancing too much too soon.

Kathy