Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a rant- John Goodman-

Donna, Kansas, Tiffykins,

Ya'll got it right. Reality TV in general makes me want to barf. I watched part of the biggest loser once and got enraged. Since when is emotional abuse entertainment? It's all so fake and overly dramatic and did I mention STUPID? I'd rather read a book--keeps me from getting so mad that I break the TV screen with a projectile.

Why would anyone watch something on tv to make them so mad, that thety would throw something at the tv? I might watch 2 hours or so of tv in a week. Tv is part of our problem too. Stop watching those stupid loser shows.

I would like to think that I'm kinder than those people and not mean spirited but sometimes when I see how people react in public to overweight people, I secretly hope that they become obese one day and see what it's like.

I do not think that becoming obese necessarily has everything to do with "head" issues. I believe that there are some biophysical aspects that have been triggered, possibly by overeating. And the head games and depression may possibly be a side effect, not a cause.

Psychologists have been practicing for years on the premise that people who are obese have been abused, usually sexually, as children. I think that's a cop out of a kind. Something to blame obesity on, perhaps to take away some of the guilt that obese people experience. But I don't believe that anything like sexual abuse has been adequately proven to be the root cause of obesity.

They've also tried to blame bad parenting skills (parents who are perfectionists with their daughters) for anorexia. But although psychological counseling that uses that approach may have helped some women fight through anorexia, I doubt seriously if they have actually proven that anorexia is caused by certain parental behavior. I'd be willing to bet that like obesity, there is a physiological, metabolic reason behind it and many of the psychological manifestations are intertwined with those physiological ones through a lack of or too much of certain hormones and nutritional deficiencies.

And no, I have no medical research to back me up, but my guess is just as good and probably as educated as some of the stuff that the diet industry regurgitates every day.

I can't stand her!! ugh Jillian Michaels is a real Bitc*! If she talked to me like she does some of the contestants on her show I would smack her into a wall. lol

Somethingwong: actually I don't watch TV at all. I live rurally and don't get reception without cable and I choose not to have cable. I saw the biggest loser for about 1/2 hour while visiting a relative. The thing about throwing the projectile was hyperbole.

But mysogynist internet trolls on the other hand, are predictable.

Fat hate is alive and well on the American airwaves. It thrives. It preaches the message that if you yell at fat people, play mind games with their emotions, make them do exercise that is unrealistic for them in the short and long term, and keep them on an unrealistic diet they will lose weight. They will. Until they return to their normal lives and gain it back, because they didn't lose it in a healthy and sustainable way the first time. It's televised yo-yo dieting. Torture as entertainment. Voyueristic, judgmental, and perpetuating stereotypes like "all you have to do is get off your ass, you lazy fat slob". Jillian can kiss my fat ass, along with every "Biggest Loser" type show, the people that produce, advertise, and yes, even watch and support that crap. Give me couple of minutes more and then I'll tell you how I *really* feel, lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I SOOOO agree with you Donna4545 !!! I have never seen the show and will NEVER watch it or support the associated products. The commercials are enough!! I think it is the last socially acceptable form of prejudice. What you say about the voyueristic, judgemental public is true....it makes it all OK because it is on TV. I have a friend who watches it religiously because she thinks it is so inspirational. She is very critical about another friend of ours who "won't just lose the weight and take care of herself". Today she emailed me and asked if I had the surgery for "weight loss or medical reasons" like there's a difference??(insuinuating that neither of those were acceptable). She went on to say that if I could lose 30 lbs preop why didn't I just stay on the diet for like a year and lose the rest!!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The interesting thing is that she could probably stand to lose 75 lbs herself, but doesn't think SHE is overweight.!!! SOOO, what do you with that???

I am sooo sick of seeing Jillian everywhere, she can kiss my fat ass, too... she's a fraud. I don't understand how she believes that destroying the little self-esteem that those folks have is helping them. OK, rant over.

Wow, I don't think I have seen any other post that has gotten people fired up. So how do you all really feel about Jillian anyway. lol jk I actually agree with you. My doctor would not even allow me to do those excercises they do on there. I would permanently injure my knee. Shoot I tried playing tennis about a month ago, and because of my weight I strained my knee. My parents watch that stupid show, and think if I watch it by some miracle everything will click and I will start losing weight like they do. lol All it does for me is make me feel sorry for those people who actually wanted to go through that. The only part I like about the show is Allison Sweeney,(I think that is her name), and that is only because she plays on Days of our Lives. Well thank you all this was a entertaining post to read. It put a smile on my face, and made me even laugh a little. Thanks Who can we rant about next week? lol

Oooh this IS fun. I don't know which comment was more telling. The one where sumthingwong says, "... u cant never tell with a woman!" or the one where lisalu insinuates that sumthingwong is a misogynist troll. Good stuff.

Oh, for the record, sumthingwong IS a troll. He trolled on one of my threads elsewhere on VST and was quite juvenile and insulting. So I'm not insinuating, I'm SAYING.

I'll just end up blocking him.

Oh thanks for the heads up. Is a troll someone who lurks on threads and then jumps in and insults people? I've never been real clear on that. I'm not being a jerk, I really don't know.

Maybe its all in his name? cause Sumthing is obviously wrong with that guy lol

i agree...i have had people say to my face that i took the easy way out. i tell them no i dont think so...i still need to exercise and watch what I eat and if ww had worked for me Id be skinny as I went there so many times. as far as the biggest loser, jillian would prob make me cry! anyway sure id lose weight if i exercised 8 hours/day but then who would pay my mortgage since who would have time to work...lol