Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a rant- John Goodman-

I totally agree with what has been said. I have told one close friend about my surgery and no one at my work knows because of this very reason. People (unless they are heavy) do not understand what it is like to be heavy and live with the consequences of that everyday! My husband and best friend tell me that I should be proud to tell people what I have done because it means that I want to be healthy. However, I feel like they will be judging me and how I am handling it. But, deep down inside, there is a small part of me that is afraid that I will fail at this too (even though it isn't likely) and then everyone will be making comments about the failure. Does anyone know what I mean? Plus, I've always been a pretty private person anyway. I haven't returned to work yet because I'm off for the summer, but I am sort of dreading it because people will begin to notice and ask me questions. I'm still now sure how I will respond to this. My husband and kids are very proud of me though and that makes me very happy!

I LOVE watching the Biggest Loser, but Jillian is INSANE! I would NEVER want her as my trainer:thumbdown:. I'll never forget the time she insisted one of the gals stop holding on to the rails of the treadmill. She told the girl, to take her arms off the rails or she would cut them off and beat her with them...What the heck???:001_unsure:

My vote is good for John Goodman, Star Jones, and whoever else has had WLS. It is a personal choice and in my mind is not cheating. Like someone else pointed out, unless one has battled weight for years the way anyone I've ever know to have WLS has, they will never understand our compunction to have this serious elective surgery. It is not Cheating. It is a grasp at better health and lifestyle for most.

I have had my band unfilled for about 13 days and gained 6lbs. Good god I can't wait to get my revision surgery.

FYI...Jillian was never over weight. She is on a MTV show called when I was 17...All photos are thin. Atleast the photos start in high school. She had her black belt in high school, worked out at a gym and became a personal trainer in high school and has been one ever since.

At some point she probably gained 10 lbs and that's the basis of her claim of having overcome being fat.

Susan Powter used the photo of herself when she was pregnant. And some of the Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem people have done the same thing. We ALL had to lose weight after pregnancies. That's not the same thing as fighting obesity.

Except of course for Jaffa. Doubt if pregnancy played a roll for you. Man, you're going to be so glad you got the revision! It's the best thing I've ever done for my health and my appearance. At this point I haven't had it very long and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this elation I feel, lasts.

I agree with SarahD on that. I've been through so many ups and downs doing every diet imaginable and struggling after every re-weight gain following the strict dieting. No wonder we don't want to share our surgery with everyone. We have a hard time believing this is going to work long term ourselves so why should anyone else think it will? We've been through so much disappointment ourselves, we don't need to see it reflected in our friends eyes.

I imagine my friends wonder what I've done because I've lost so quickly. And when they ask and I tell them I have another 30 lbs to lose, they say "Oh that's too much!" But of course 30 lbs will only put me at the same relative weight that they are right now. Slim people are clueless about what obese people go through.

Fat hate is alive and well on the American airwaves. It thrives. It preaches the message that if you yell at fat people, play mind games with their emotions, make them do exercise that is unrealistic for them in the short and long term, and keep them on an unrealistic diet they will lose weight. They will. Until they return to their normal lives and gain it back, because they didn't lose it in a healthy and sustainable way the first time. It's televised yo-yo dieting. Torture as entertainment. Voyueristic, judgmental, and perpetuating stereotypes like "all you have to do is get off your ass, you lazy fat slob". Jillian can kiss my fat ass, along with every "Biggest Loser" type show, the people that produce, advertise, and yes, even watch and support that crap. Give me couple of minutes more and then I'll tell you how I *really* feel, lol.

Yay Donna!!!! You are spot on! The weight loss industry in America is obscene. And the more we fall for that crap, all of it, the worse off we are and the more we hate ourselves.

A While back I read the article about the obese 15yr old who was allowed to board a plane and needed two seats, but had only paid for one. Apparently, parents left the kid at the airport and the kid couldn't pay. Did anyone see that? Well the article was more about the pissed off woman who was flying stand by who had to give up her seat so the kid could have two. Long story short: there was a discussion on MSN boards that ensued.

I was mortified by the hate mongering of the overweight that went on there. This has long been a thorny point with me, even when I was a child and not obese (hearing people ridicule, mock, torture, tease and even physically abuse the overweight). It is an acceptable form of discrimination, an acceptable form of abuse, disrespect and just about every kind of bad behavior you can think of now becomes "acceptable" if directed at the obese. When will people realize that obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. Oh, and while I am on my rant...what about those people who act like if they get too close to you, it might be contagious?

As an obese adult, it adds to the self-loathing we already have when we have help loathing ourselves by others. And it just plain hurts.

Being publicly ridiculed, discriminated against in the job market, poached against our marriages ("your husband deserves a skinny wife") I could go on and on...but you all know what I am talking about. Our society continues to sink to new depths. I pity those who hate so deeply. But I also believe in karma. Those who hate like that will one day be despised for something. What goes around comes around.

g

Again, what people don't realize is that, while it is eminently possible to lose a great deal of weight "the old fashioned way," it is almost impossible to *keep it off* without surgery or some other kind of medical intervention.

This has to do more with how our brains are wired than anything else.

Err I would like to slap Jillian too! first off she was once overweight. and by that she means overweight which is my first goal after surgery to just be ovewweight!!! Her highest weight is my goal weight! She was never obese, morbidly or otherwise. So all that I understand bull crap is just that. And all the product she sell are soo much bull crap.

If John Goodman had surgery good for him. I do kinda wish the celebrities that deal with this would step up and say so though it might help the rest of us fight off the uninformed masses if they knew a little more about it!

Good morning America just had a report on celebs who have lost alot of weight recently and one was John Goodman.

They said John quit drinking recently and that's what helped him.

Drew Carey lost 80 lbs by exchanging junk food for good food.

Jennifer Hudson of course is doing WWatchers, and another gal signed on with Jenny Craig.

I agree with the folks who want to slap Jillian. Extremely hard exercise like she and Bob require on the Biggest Loser Show does not look safe or healthy for someone who's morbidly obese. For those of you who would like her for "your" trainer....would you have wanted to go through that kind of training "before" your weight loss began? Hmmmm?

I am looking forward to exercising, but not until I get some of this weight off! :thumbup1:

Ok....this is just me ranting. Recently John Goodman the actor has lost what appears to be a lot of weight....he looks WONDERFUL. He was close to 400 pounds at one point. I don't know what's he's done to lose weight and in my mind it DOES NOT MATTER....so why the rant?

I'm angry becuase the internet is buzzing with how he probably "cheated" to lose the weight (i.e. surgery) or that this probably won't last since he's alwasy had a weight problem....its so ugly and non supportive.

I for one applaud any and all of us that fight this battle with whatever methods we choose. I think JG looks amazing and I hope he gets much more postiive feedback than the snarky things I've read and heard so far...and while I'm mentioning snarky....Jillian Michaels from biggest loser...is MEAN!

Ok...I'm done.

lol, i love your rant!! Yes, Jillian is mean! hehehe. . . the reason, I think, why the internet and media go all out to discredit John Goodman is because he is a celebrity. . . ever notice that the media, internet, etc always FIND something to gripe about someone. . . it's sorta like the work place. . . the boss will ALWAYS find something wrong with you and mention it really loudly, but when its good. . . oooppppsss nobody knows. . and if it's a really bad boss, he'll take credit for the good that YOU did. . I think this is the same with the Goodman case. . . my opinion only. . . what do you think?:thumbup1:

I agree with Tiffykins. Jillian's tactics are barbaric, and her "knowledge" of the emotional aspects of weight gain/loss are pop psychology, at best. She is just the latest in a long line of pseudo-saviors that have figured out a way to make a lot of money offering hope to those that they considered hopeless.

And, while we're on the subject of The Biggest Loser, do you all really think that NBC has kept this show on the air out of the goodness of their corporate hearts to inspire and help the millions of people who watch it every week? No, they keep it on the air because advertisers pay for the freakshow effect; the majority of people who watch The Biggest Loser aren't watching it to get fitness or diet tips. Like most of you have said, who among us has 6-8 hours a day to exercise? Most of the people who watch TBL watch it to see the fat girl fall of the treadmill, or see the fat guy cry because he is so hungry. They watch it to make themselves feel better; "At least I'm not as bad as those freaks." It's humiliating and degrading to all people, no matter their size.

Okay, my rant is over...for now. :)