Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SO I am 3 weeks post op and just have a few question about my food intake... Just wanted to hear peoples experience with what they are able to eat or the amount of food that people can fit after 3months? 6months? ECT. When can I go out to eat with my hubby and be able to eat half a meal???:) When did you guys start enjoying coffee again??? I miss coffee but I dont know if I could fit it.....ANY ADVICE...THANKS:001_smile:

Congratulations on your surgery!

At 3.5 months post op, I eat three meals a day. I can eat 2-4 oz of dense Protein depending on what it is. shrimp 4 oz, turkey 3 oz, beef 3 oz. If I eat that amount of Protein there's not room for anything else. If I want to eat some lettuce, or 1/4 of a peach, I have to reduce the amount of protein.

My plan calls for up to 1/2 cup of protein, 1/4 of a small fruit OR a few spoons of veggies and 1/2 slice of well toasted whole wheat bread or small slice of potato. I haven't been able to eat those things if I eat protein. I'm keeping it to low carb because I don't want the cravings.

6 months? I have a few months before i get there. :) I'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks lee....I cant wait to start eating a little more. I try to get down 3oz of Beans for lunch and its a struggle. My mouth is like feed me and I think I go a little to fast. So I try and take breaks bc it feels like it gets a little stuck in my throat. But thanks so much for the info:thumbup:

I still can't eat half of a meal from any restaurant. My son and I share an entree, and I eat 1/3 of the meat portion, and maybe 4-5 bites of the side dishes. Around 3-4 months, I was still only 3oz of mushy meat with no room for veggies. Around 6 months things changed drastically. I could eat 4oz of meat with a couple bites of veggies/carbs and that is if I eat super slow. Now at a year out, I eat the same amount. 4-5oz of meat (depending on the meat and how it's prepared), beef/steak/ribs actually work better than chicken or turkey for me. It used to be chicken worked better.

If I want more carby/veggies with a meal, I eat those first. I know that is not a rule, but I'm maintaining, and don't have to be as rigid anymore. So, I'll take 2-3 bites of mashed potatoes then have 3-4oz of meat. Even some days all I want is veggies. For one meal, I'll eat veggies or rice/pasta. I always make up my Protein in another meal. I honestly believe my body tells me what it wants and needs. I've actually ordered just sides off a menu. I can't eat very much of them, but I eat what I want and bring home leftovers.

I'm pretty much still eating the same amounts I ate around 6-7 months out. If I eat just one more bite, I know it. Some foods have become sliders for me. Breads, Pasta, rice, crackers, chips etc, are all sliders now. I have to watch what I eat still, but if I want mac-n-cheese, I'm going to eat it.

It depends on what i eat. I'm also at 3-4 weeks, and i can drink down a full 11 oz shake no problem, i can also eat Protein Bars without a problem if i chew them well. I've healed well enough now where a lot of soft foods have become sliders, even ice cream. I could eat 2 bowls and it seems to melt right through me. But if i have something with fat and consistency in it, like Peanut Butter, i can have 2 tbsp and i'm full for awhile. Same goes with cottage cheese, i'll feel full off half a cup of it and I'm done.

Thanks for the imput guys. Im just missing food and my doctor still wants me on shakes as two meals. I cant wait to just eat normal again...real food:) What do you guys think of fruit? watermelon maybe in between meals when I feel like munching?Thanks so much for the help. I been feeling very down!!

I am only 5 days post-op and having been trying to devise a way to get enough Protein in. Someone on another site gave me a tip - worked this morning. For Breakfast, I took one AdvantEDGE Protein Drink (11 oz - 17 gr protein) added 1 scoop of Pro Performance Whey Protein (unflavored from GNC)- 21 gr protein, added 1/3 cup non-fat powdered milkl (8 gr protein) so I was able over an hour to get 46 gr protein so I've knocked out most of protein with my breakfast! Very filling but didn't taste bad at all (and I have VERY sick stomach and taste buds!) Now I will just work on my regular full liquids and Water, etc through the rest of the day. Seems like the easiest thing for me to get down with no "hanging" is SF popsicles which have NO nutritional value! lol Good luck all!

I am officially 2 months out today. I was having problems with the Protein shakes making me nauseus. I'm supposed to have 2 a day with one Protein based meal. I also had HORRIBLE problems with Constipation as I've had IBS for several years.

I started eating more Fiber and making my meals vegetarian (however, I do eat fish from time to time) and I'm feeling much better.

I can only get 1/4 c eggbeaters with some string cheese 1/2 mushroom down for an omelet with maybe a strawberry or 2 for Breakfast.< /p>

lunch is usually 1/2 c Beans with a couple bites of cantaloupe.

dinner is some time of veggie protein with a couple bites of deep green steamed veggie.

My calories are around 500-700 a day. Try to keep the carbs down as low as possible without interfering with Fiber or energy level.

I missed coffee too, but can't handle the caffeine anymore. I can NOW drink Decaf. Usually after dinner as my special treat. I can now also handle decaf tea. My favorite is Lipton's Orange Garden.

Funny, how are special treats are now decaf and fruit !!!! lol

VSG 4/7/2010

Highest Weight: 365

Surgery Weight: 349

Todays Weight: 304

Edited by Lookinupin2010

Thanks for the imput guys. Im just missing food and my doctor still wants me on shakes as two meals. I cant wait to just eat normal again...real food:) What do you guys think of fruit? watermelon maybe in between meals when I feel like munching?Thanks so much for the help. I been feeling very down!!

I would think watermelon would be a great pick-me up! Make sure you take out all the seeds of course!! I slice canteloupe and cut it into little pieces and sometimes grab that as a "munchy" snack, it's a great way to keep hydrated too and keep your potassium levels up :wink0:

I could drink coffee after the third day. No problem. I think at two months out, I am eating too much food. I can eat half a restaurant sized salad at a sitting. My meals are small, but frequent. The only problem food for me are triscuits. I feel like I have a sleeve full of barbed wire when I eat them- so not worth it. I eat a lot of sugar-free popsicles at night.

I think im going to try coffee in the morning..I hope it goes well. I feel like im cheating my diet. Im only to have 3oz Protein at lunch but I cant help but to feel hungry later on. So today I tried little bit of peanut butter..NOT GOOD GOING DOWN...so now im eatting a little piece of a veggie burger dipping it in ketchup. I feel like I shouldnt be eating it but its going down ok right now...IM SO CONFUSED....we shall see

Tip of the Day

If anyone is having Constipation problems, a little trick I use is to add a spoonful of the clear, flavorless, Metamucil to my Protein shakes. I never know it is there, and it keeps me more regular than without it.

By the way, in some of the above posts, it appears you guys are progressing too rapidly in an effort to get "real food", I hope you don't pay for it in the long run.

Okay - I'm 9 months out. To answer the question of food intake, for example, just this past weekend my family went to a sandwich shop (Which Wich). My husband and I don't like the same sandwich here so I had to order my own (we typically share or I share with my kids, but again that didn't happen here). I ordered a turkey sandwich on wheat with provolone cheese, lettuce, Tomato, ff mayo, avocado, hot peppers and pickles. I enjoyed 3-4 bites of my first half (all together for the experience of a sandwich) and then just ate the filling and left the bread. The other half of sandwich came home with us. I also snuck a few of my husband's baked Lays.

Now I can honestly say I still get a little frustrated at times when I am really enjoying a meal and just CAN'T eat much, but then I remember, I am getting exactly what I paid for. My brain could never tell my stomach to stop eating so my stomach has to tell my brain - and it does a fine job of it. :001_tt2:

I think im going to try coffee in the morning..I hope it goes well. I feel like im cheating my diet. Im only to have 3oz Protein at lunch but I cant help but to feel hungry later on. So today I tried little bit of Peanut Butter..NOT GOOD GOING DOWN...so now im eatting a little piece of a veggie burger dipping it in ketchup. I feel like I shouldnt be eating it but its going down ok right now...IM SO CONFUSED....we shall see

I get really confused too! Some of the foods that i would think would be the worst are just fine while others that are supposedly easy foods feel like they get stuck and make me miserable! I still feel like im choking when i swallow a spoonful of cottage cheese, and that it doesn't want to go down. But solid cheese slices digest just fine. What gives? lol

LINDA....AT 9 months out...are your bites still really really small lol. Or as time goes on are your 4 bites more normal sized?? :thumbup: OHHH and its morning and I have a cup of coffee. I only have had about 3 sips so far but its sooo good:thumbup: