Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do you guys think its possible to get the sleeve and not loose weight. I don't mean drinking milk shakes etc... I mean making healthy choices and staying between 500 - 1000 calories (depending on the day).

I don't know if I'm loosing or not cuz I quit weighing. If I'm loosing it can't be more than a pound or so a week.

I remember my grandmother used to eat like a bird. There was no way she ate over 800 calories a day and she was probably 50 - 70 lbs overweight.

I don't know.... I guess I'm just discouraged today.

I can sure understand your discouragement. Your weight loss isn't bad--every pound we lose is a good thing--but when we are eating very small amounts of food, we think our weight loss should be rapid. It's even harder when we compare our loss to other people who may be losing faster.

I think that there are a lot of factors that can affect our weight loss, and calorie intake is only part of the equation. I do think you will loose if you continue to make healthy food choices and exercise regularly. For myself, I can already see very clearly that the sleeve is a tool that makes it easier for me to eat small portions, but I also see that I could make food choices that would stall my weight loss completely.

Maybe your doctor would have some ideas that would help you feel reassured.

I am so sorry that you are feeling so discouraged and disheartened. Have you taken measurements? If so, are you seeing inches lost? If you haven't ... take them NOW! You will be amazed at the changes that occur in just a few days/weeks.

What does your surgeon say? Do you have a nutritionist?

I sure hope not. For my weight I'm, so far, a super slow loser. It's so hard not to compare to others but it's a bit disheartening when others lose 20 plus pounds the first two weeks and I have only lost 8.

So I can totally commiserate with your pain. All we can do is follow the plan, exercise and think positive.

Stacy

I just wanted to tell you that you had a smaller amount of weight to lose, so you will lose slower than others. I was in the same boat, and I had to stop comparing myself to others.

There is NO way you can have the sleeve and not lose weight, you might just be one of "us" that loses a little slower. I only had 70lbs to lose and it has taken me a long time, don't sweat it!

Good luck, and happy losing!

do you guys think its possible to get the sleeve and not loose weight. I don't mean drinking milk shakes etc... I mean making healthy choices and staying between 500 - 1000 calories (depending on the day).

I don't know if I'm loosing or not cuz I quit weighing. If I'm loosing it can't be more than a pound or so a week.

I remember my grandmother used to eat like a bird. There was no way she ate over 800 calories a day and she was probably 50 - 70 lbs overweight.

I don't know.... I guess I'm just discouraged today.

Hi Stacy! I am sorry this is frustrating. I sometimes have days where I feel like I should wake up thin, because we are really working hard, and even the results I'm having never feel like quite enough. I know that you are doing all you can. And I think its wise that you have decided not to weigh for a while. Taking measurements is a great idea, and I think creating acheiveable goals in different areas is a good thing too. (Ex. Be able to walk a 15 minute mile and gradually better times or goals about journaling, etc.) Good luck friend, I know you will make it!

Hey Stacy

I thought of something else, when I had my 2 month stall I still lost inches. I was a size 10 snug, now I'm a baggy 10 or a fitted 8. So even if it does not show on the scale you are losing. Another thing that makes a difference is the amount of excersize you do. If you work out lots, you will build muscle. So again, don't sweat it, you will do great!!

stacy I know how you feel. It just boggles the mind how we can so greatly reduce the amount we eat and also WHAT we eat and not lose more weight! It just makes no sense to me. I know that I'm losing inches (or that I've lost inches...I'm only measuring once a month) even if the scale is barely moving.

I'm following all the rules although I've not really been able to exercise because of my back. I'd like to be able to swim laps everyday and do some Water aerobics but it's been storming here every single day and the weather just isn't cooperating. Not to mention I still don't have a very high energy level. By the time I get home from work in the evening, I'm just flat out tired.

I'm not discouraged and I don't mean to sound whiny...I get that we all lose at different rates and at different paces. I'm just going to keep following the rules as best I can and see what happens!

I feel your pain!

Month one - down 18 pounds

Month two - down 3 pounds

Month three - down 9 pounds

What I did differently to get it going was to plan 60 minutes of exercise 6-7 days a week. There were a couple of weeks I had 60 minutes 5x and 30 minutes 2x.

I keep carbs low and didn't get over 500-600 calories until I was 3 months out. Now at 3.5 months I'm aiming for 700-800 calories a day.

How is your Protein intake. I learned over at OH that upping the Protein would help and it did. I now try to get in at least 1 Protein shake daily and to get 80 grams of protein.

Try shaking things up. Exercise, rotate the amount of calories. Your body may have just adjusted to what you've been doing.

Although I've had great loss so far, I am definitely slowing to a trickle. In some research I've done, it pointed something out to me I'd forgotten... after our surgeries our bodies are thinking we are starving them. I think I need to realize that it took me 34 years to get to this point (or more specifically 2 years of heaving gaining) and it just won't all come off in 3 months. I am still surprised when I lose weight because before all it did was go up! But that being said, it is a little disappointing to not see the rate of loss I did in the beginning! Good luck and hang in there. I have noticed that if I don't log all of the bits I put into my mouth I lose track of my daily totals. Just like before, the calories seem to sneak up on me!

Thanks so much for your encouragement guys. I don't have a nut but I go to the doc in 1mo. I can ask then if things are still bad. Really, I think I was just feeling sorry for myself..... soon after posting I realized that it was bloating and PMS...... dang it gets me every time.

My Protein is high and I am exercsing daily...

Most days I am really happy with my sleeve. Slow weight loss is better than no weight loss!!!

Thanks guys

Stacey

Stacey, your BMI is so low to start with. My surgeon gave me a goal to be at a 30 BMI at my 6 month mark. You're doing fantastic!

This isn't new information...but for all of us who are concerned about not losing quickly enough, I've been running the numbers:

The average woman needs around 2000 calories a day to maintain. (Of course this varies according to how much muscle you have, how active you are, etc...) But if we just take the average and go from there:

Eating 1000 calories a day should create a deficit of 7000 calories a week, which should equal a 2 lb. weight loss each week.

In our heads, eyes, and on our plates, the difference between a 500 calorie daily intake and 1000 calorie daily intake is huge...and we think that the weight loss difference should be huge. In reality it adds up to a 3500 calorie difference over the course of a week, which is only the equivalent of one pound (an extra 4 pounds a month)--and that's assuming that your metabolic rate didn't slow down to compensate for the low caloric intake.

If our weight loss is slower than that, it may be related to hormonal factors, slow metabolism from years of yo-you dieting, little muscle mass, or a variety of other factors...But the bottom line is that if we want faster weight loss, eating less may not be a reasonable solution. What does seem reasonable is to move more.

My weight loss isn't bad, but it isn't as fast as some others. I'm not blaming the luck of the draw, or thinking that my sleeve isn't working. I'm thinking that I'm not going to the gym, and I'm not walking. I'm trying to swim--but if I want a bigger or more consistent loss, I am going to have to find ways to burn more calories.

I recently had my six month follow up and complained to my doc that the weight loss is slow but as we went over my diet she calculated that my Protein intake was deficient she decided that I up my protein by two shakes a day and I did, I lost 2 pounds after doing it. I kinda got lost in thinking what I was eating was enough but in order to lose you have to eat. I told her I can only eat what I can fit and thats when she put me on the shakes. Hope this helps someone.......

Stcyt - Hang in there - you will get there at just the right time for you. Hey I have lost 2 pounds of hair this month : ) - See what you have to look forward to? (Just a bad joke, but seriously my hair is just falling out like bananas.)