Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soy milk versus skim milk

I'm still pre-op, but I've completed all the pre-op bloodwork and testing and so forth. I'm on the exceedingly-low-carb, high-Protein pre-pre-op diet, and I have run up against something that I'm frankly confused about.

My surgeon told me to cut out milk, but cheese is okay, as is low-fat cottage cheese. I've always gotten skim milk, and had never actually looked at the labels on the soy milk that's available out there, and I'm trying to figure out what's superior about soy milk over skim milk.

The only difference I can see is that typically there are about 2 carbs fewer per 8-oz serving of soy milk versus skim milk, but the Protein content is about the same, and the soy milk actually has fat calories, which the skim does not. There are actually more calories per serving with soy milk, too, and if I were to get flavored soy milk (such as vanilla or chocolate), then there are MORE carbs than skim. Anybody got any ideas on this before I pester my surgeon's nutritionist?

Mind you, this is the soy milk I see for sale in the supermarket, or at costco, so I might be missing out on some soopyr-seekrit :) formulation. Either that, or I'm missing information.

Help!!!

I have wondered the same thing. I drink soy milk because I always have and I like the taste.... but when you do a comparison of nutrition facts its hard to figure. I always get the unsweetned unflavored kind. I imagine that soy would be better for those with lactose problems. Also... I wonder about the difference between milk Protein and soy protein. I'll be curious to see what others post.

I've read that Soy can interfere with the absorbtion of thyroid medication for people with hypothyroid conditions.

Calcium suppliments can also interfere with the absorbtion of thyroid meds also.

Here's a list of some items thought to interfere with thyroid meds.

Walnuts

Soybean flour

Cottonseed meal

Iron supplements or Multivitamins containing Iron

Calcium supplements

Antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium

Some ulcer medications, such as sucralfate

Some cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as cholestyramine and colestipol

Hypothyroidism diet: Can certain foods increase thyroid function? - MayoClinic.com

Hypothyroidism: Can calcium supplements interfere with treatment? - MayoClinic.com

Soy: Does it worsen hypothyroidism? - MayoClinic.com

I'm a week post op and the only milk listed on my post-op diet (for 2 weeks liquids) is skim milk. And that's even on the Clear liquids diet. I'd maybe call the surgeon's office and ask for clarification. That's going to be your best bet over anything you find on the forums.

Good luck!

There's a fair bit of credible info out there these days about soy being a rather dangerous food to ingest much of on a daily basis due to the hormonal influences it can have on the body.

If you jsut drink a bit of milk in tea and coffee, then I wouldnt worry about going with soy if you cant drink dairy, but if you drink glasses of it at a time, I'd perhaps do a bit of googling to inform yourself of possible risks.

There's a fair bit of credible info out there these days about soy being a rather dangerous food to ingest much of on a daily basis due to the hormonal influences it can have on the body.

If you jsut drink a bit of milk in tea and coffee, then I wouldnt worry about going with soy if you cant drink dairy, but if you drink glasses of it at a time, I'd perhaps do a bit of googling to inform yourself of possible risks.

Soy is in everything (read a few labels) and is pretty bad for you. Most ppl think of it as a natural food but it's highly processed and can really mess with estrogen and vit absorbtion. I wonder if he is saying no cow's milk because it can be hard on a human's stomach even without surgery. cheese doesn't have as much whey and is easier on digestion. If that's the reason check out skim Goat's milk, very good for you, easy to digest.

Soy is in everything (read a few labels) and is pretty bad for you. Most ppl think of it as a natural food but it's highly processed and can really mess with estrogen and vit absorbtion. I wonder if he is saying no cow's milk because it can be hard on a human's stomach even without surgery. cheese doesn't have as much whey and is easier on digestion. If that's the reason check out skim Goat's milk, very good for you, easy to digest.

I am drinking whole goats milk in my Cereal, Decaf tea and coffee. I do like the taste of Soy milk so I buy a quart of Organic Soy, plain or vanilla and drink it occasionally. I also like Almond, Hazelnut and Hemp Milk. I go for certified organic brands there too.

I use Silk brand unsweetened soy milk and there are only 80 calories and 4 carbs per cup as opposed to fat free milk which has like 13 carbs and 90 calories per cup. I only use it to save on carbs.

You might consider the Nut Milks, they are not "real milk", but are made from nuts. Very tasty. I prefer the Almond Milk plain and the Almond Milk vanilla. They even have a chocolate Almond Milk. Other options are the "Rice Milks".

BTW if you want the real story on how detrimental Cows milk is, I would invite you to read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PHD Nutritionist.

I for one will never, never drink cows milk again. It is much more dangerous than Soy milk.

My nurse said soy milk is fine, but agree that you should ask your doctor for your particular circumstance. I prefer soy because it lasts for weeks. I'd purchase dairy milk, and it would go bad before I drank it.

GACK!!!! Goat's milk. I can't stand anything goat. My younger brother is lactose intolerant, has been all his life. When I was a kid, my mom decided that we all had to drink goat's milk as a show of solidarity, so we got a doe, bred her, and milked her. I hated goat's milk then, and I haven't been able to stand it since then! Or anything made from goat's milk, including cheeses. It tastes and smells so revolting to me that it makes me gag. It's too musky or goaty or something. I am glad it works for some people, though. You can all have my cosmic share of goat's milk. :thumbup1:

Ahem. Back to the topic of cow vs. soy. It sounds like I need to discuss this with my surgeon, and at my nutrition class on July 6, because it doesn't sound at least on the surface like there's any actual benefit to soy milk, especially if one isn't lactose or casein intolerant.

Hemp milk, Almond milk, hazelnut milk...heck they're milking just about anything these days! I personally like goat milk-tastes no different than cows milk. I like Soy milk too and I'm hoping that if it's certified USDA organic it won't wreak havoc inside me in some freaked out way!

For me the problem with soy milk is it has less Protein. But I do love raw, unpasteurized milk you can get here. There's been a lot written how much better it is when the Proteins haven't been heated. The guy at the healthfood store told me he's lactose intolerant but can drink it just fine. It sure tastes different, it's my favorite.