Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The argument for a small sleeve

Hi all

While I was waiting for my insurance approval I was perusing the

sleeve surgeries on youtube.

My surgeon told me that the sleeve wont stretch, but I found

this video by Dr Jossart in San Francisco that shows a newly made

sleeve and the size of the sleeve after 4 years.

Here is the link

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRBKdTjY2Rg]YouTube- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy procedure from www.lapsf.com[/nomedia]

Drag the movie to 8min 30 seconds and you can see a barium

swallow showing the difference in immediately post-op and

4 years out. It appears to double in size.

Just a thought,

Lisa

The sleeve is going to be severely swollen from the trauma immediately following surgery.

Just for comparison, here is an xray of a barium swallow of a normal sized stomach.

NormalStomach.jpg

Here's another one of a normal stomach under fluoroscopy

norm_sto.jpgThe resulting digital x-ray image from the fluoroscopic GI study depicted above shows a normal stomach

It will obviously relax as time passes during the healing period. But, if you'll look up studies through Springerlink that discuss sleeve capacity at 1, 2 and 3 years out, you'll find that there is minimal difference.

My surgeon advised me that my sleeve is at maximum capacity for life at this point. I've been able to consume the same amount of food for the last 4-5 months. The swelling greatly decreased around the 5-6 month mark, and I've been eating the same quantities that I did back in January.

So compare that 4 year post op of the sleeved stomach to the above picture of a normal stomach.

Edited by Tiffykins

SpringerLink Home - Main

Welcome to SpringerLink!

SpringerLink is one of the world's leading interactive databases for high-quality STM journals, book series, books, reference works and the Online Archives Collection. SpringerLink is a powerful central access point for researchers and scientists.

There's a lot of online collections of research articles and publications. It just takes to digging and geeking it up to find all of it. I'm super geeky, and just absorb this stuff like a sponge.

According to a book on WLS that I received from my surgeon, Dr. Flanagan (who is a well-known and respected bariatric surgeon, and who also came up with the Cottage cheese Test for measuring pouch size) has found in his research that "sizes ranging up to 9 ounces have NO IMPACT on the person's success in weight-loss."