Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Hey everyone!

I am having kinda a little of trouble with the latest fill.. I just think I am not used to being filled and am eating too fast.. but I have noticed it getting better over the past couple of days so I am thinking I am ok. Things I was normally able to eat, I cant etc...

I am just checking in.. my clothes are getting so big! My friend and I are going out to dinner tomorrow night and I am shopping for new summer clothes! Yippee! I need the new duds for Vegas baby!

Can't wait to be a MRS!!

Love,

DonnaMarie :(

Help guys!! I went to my surgeon today to talk about what to do with my lack of weight loss. He said that I needed to get about 40 grams of Protein a day and eat only 500 calories. Now to me that sounds dangerous. WHat do you think? My Protein Bars have 230 calories in them and I don't know how to get the protein and the low calories at the same time. I ate a fourth of a hamburger today and I can eat the other fourths another day but how am I supposed to know how many calories that has. What do you guys do for your protein? What kind of drinks do you drink? How am I going to eat only 500 calories? I will starve to death. I think that I am going to do a little research on that and see if that is even healthy. Help!! I don't know what to do.

Hey Donna Marie, congrats on the continued loss! You'll be a Mrs. before ya know it lol. You'll be so pretty too :).

Beth, Atkins makes a pretty decent premixed shake, I prefer chocolate Royale, and then I mix it with one scoop of chocolate Unjury powder, Welcome to the UNJURY Homepage. You end up getting like 35 grams of Protein in this concoction and it barely raises your insulin levels because its sooo low in sugar. To me this is important because insulin is what helps in fat storage I think. I try to avoid sugar. Hope this helps you.

Mary, hope you start feeling better soon! Im on the liquids too but, lol Im soooo happy that I can drink again that I don't mind one bit.

Beth: 40 grams of Protein in NOT enough protein and 500 calories is not enough calories, either. Sounds like your doctor needs the help of a dietician to me. I'm not a dietician, but I have read information that tells me to get at least 60 grams of protein daily. I have not used protein bars much as many of them have too many carbohydrates in them. You can find some with a lower carb/sugar count, but nutrionally, lean protein like chicken and fish will fill you up more, along with a green veggie. I get in my protein in the morning with a shake. I don't like a lot of Protein Shakes (actually most of them) but I have found that "On" brand powdered protein in the vanilla ice cream flavor, along with some sugarfree/fatfree chocolate fudge Jello pudding mix (just a little sprinkled in) with skim milk makes a yummy shake. So, right off, I'm starting my day with at least 25-30 grams of protein (including the milk). The protein itself has 24 grams of protein in it and only 3 or 4 grams of carbs. I always watch the carbs in the protein shakes too, as some are higher. It's not that I abstain from carbs, but I have really cut out breads, potatoes, etc. I will eat a little (part of a bun with hamburger) and a few bites of potatoes, rice or Pasta (but that's it). I eat the protein first (about 3-4 oz), then a green veggie. I have to watch "snack foods" like chips, nuts, etc. as they are not really filling but go down easy and add in calories, etc. I think there are places on the internet to determine the calorie count one needs according to their weight. You may also want to make an appointment with a dietician who can make sure you are getting in the protein and other stuff you need and still get weightloss. Remember, we want our bodies to burn off that FAT and not lose muscle. That's why in my case, the inches are coming off better than the pounds. Fat weighs LESS than muscle. We don't want to lose our muscle and if our body doesn't get in enough protein, that's what will happen. So, make sure your muscles and vital organs are getting the nutrition they need so your body is functioning correctly. Hope this makes sense.

I am taking something for the allergies now and hoping to get off liquids soon. I am making sure though that I'm getting in 60 grams (at least) of protein in my liquids. Barbara seems to think that the allergies are causing extra phlem which is going into my pouch and irritating me. She suggested thin liquids (so no Protein Shake with milk for me tomorrow) and taking something to get the allergies under control. I bought that tonight (Clariton) and took one. I hope to get relief in a few days. I want to EAT!!! LOL!!!

Okay, this is long. I'm sure someone else may have more to add!! Hang in there Beth!!

Well I called the dietian today and she told me that she talked with my doctor and she did not say for me to only eat 500 calories. That I must have misunderstood her. She said that she told me to eat 1200 calories. Now I know what she told me and she told me to eat 500 calories. Why would I come up with that on my own. Something is amiss here. Anyway I don't think that I can eat 1200 calories but I will try to eat what I can.

Do any of you have to sit still after you eat so that your food will stay down? I just ate a fourth of a hamburger and it went down but I had to sit still for awhile afterward or I think it might have come back up. Does that happen to any of you?

No, for me I like to walk after I eat because that helps it to move along a bit if I've overdone it and ate a bite too many.

Help guys!! I went to my surgeon today to talk about what to do with my lack of weight loss. He said that I needed to get about 40 grams of Protein a day and eat only 500 calories. Now to me that sounds dangerous. WHat do you think? My protein bars have 230 calories in them and I don't know how to get the protein and the low calories at the same time. I ate a fourth of a hamburger today and I can eat the other fourths another day but how am I supposed to know how many calories that has. What do you guys do for your protein? What kind of drinks do you drink? How am I going to eat only 500 calories? I will starve to death. I think that I am going to do a little research on that and see if that is even healthy. Help!! I don't know what to do.

500 calories seems quite drastic...when I want to kick things into gear I just put myself on Slim Fast shakes for a couple of days. I add extra Protein Powder to my shakes to boost up the protein. Sometimes you have to take in more and move more to get the weight loss to kick in, too. I don't really know what to say, except that 500 seems drastically low...

Okay, I should have kept reading to see that you talked to your dietitian. Yes, 1200 calories a day and at least 60 grams of protein is what I have heard, too. It makes more sense. Kari is right, you want to lose the fat, not the muscle. I think as long as you are controling your intake and exercising, your scale should start to move. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

I haven't been on here for months but thought I would pop on this morning. So many of you are doing awesome!!:clap2: I have definitely had my ups and downs but I think that I've settled into a place where I think I can keep going. My last fill put me at 6ccs and I've only lost 6 pounds in 6 weeks but my doctor assures me that he is happy with that. I had hoped to get 100 pounds gone by my bandiversary but I don't think that will happen. From my presurgery weight I am down 82 pounds so I'm happy with that. Still have a long way to go but at least the scale is going down.

The last 10 months have flown by....I'm really optimistic for all of us that this next year will be great for us....so many of you will reach your goal this year and that is so exciting....good luck all.

Be Blessed.

Beth: Glad you got the calorie thing figured out with the dietician. I was pretty concerned.

Time2live: You are doing AWESOME!! Welcome back!! Glad to have you checking in again!!

Kari: I'm doing better. Can actually eat again!! I've been taking a clariton type pill that dissolves to help with these allergy symptoms, which has helped my irritation!!

Have a great week everyone!! Notice my new pic (hard to see but yes, it's there!!)

Mary, you look great! You're doing awesome. Glad to hear the Claritan is helping you.

Time2Live - glad you've checked in! You're doing awesome, too! You said "so many of YOU are going to make your goal this year"...YOU WILL TOO!!!

I'm doing okay, I guess. I've learned not to eat anything too late because then after I go to bed it refluxes on me and then I'm dealing with the reprucusions of that and all it entails. The scale still isn't moving very much, but it's not going up, so that's a good thing. My knee surgery is less than 1 month away and after that it should start to move with all the rehab exercise I'll be doing.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Hey everyone! I was surprized with a bridal shower at work yesterday. You should have seen the food! Luckily, there were healthy choices so I was able to eat something with everyone else. But it wasn't much I tell ya! We had a double shower because another gal is getting married about 3 days before me. She is getting married on friday night and I am getting married on Memorial Day..

I am droppin weight like crazy.. Mike gave me a hug yesterday and said, "aww my skinny wife" lol I am finally below a BMI of 40.. started at 50! :omg: I weighed in sunday at 259. I wanted to be 250 for Vegas but I think I will take what I can get!

Hope everyone is doing well.. seems it from the posts.. Congrats Edie on the goal and thanks for offering support..

Hugz to all!

DonnaMarie :eek:

Congrats Donna Marie on your continued weightloss and upcoming marriage. My 25th wedding anniversary is Memorial Day. I will be thinking of you.

Edie, what in the world is your secret. I was banded on July 10, 06 and have only lost 60 pounds. I have never felt like such a failure in all my life. I don't ever eat over 1000 calories a day and am trying to exercise but my back is giving me fits. You've done wonderful and I'm so proud for you.

Hope everyone is having a great week. I'm leaving for Florida for 10 days a week from today and am still in a size 18 so no bathing suit for me. Too embarrassed.

Love you all,

Sherri how are things going? It has been awhile since I heard from you. I hope your trip to Florida is a great one.

Hey guys!! I don't know much. My mom left today to go to Maine to visit her sister for two weeks. I am already lonesome and missing her. We are very close even though she drives me crazy sometimes. I don't have any friends so she is the only person I talk to and go places with so I am really bored. I am trying to find things to do to keep be busy but cleaning house doesn't sound to appealing. That is what I should be doing but instead I have about 5 books that I want to read and some TV shows to catch up on. I am doing better with my eating and I will weigh tomorrow to see if I am losing anything. Probabaly not but I am going to do more exercise this week so maybe by next week I will. I am trying not to eat much and drink more. I just love lemonade now.

I hope all of you have a great week. I will be around. Talk to you later. Hugs

Hi Beth,

I'm doing better. I hope and pray that our vacation goes decent. After what my husband has put me through I certainly deserve a good week. I finally weighed this morning and had lost a couple of pounds since TOM. I am feeling great except for my back and hope that my weightloss picks up. Sorry to hear about your Mom going away. Hope your not to bored. If your like me catching up on tv and a book is the best. Hope you have lost a bunch next week. Just wanted to say hi.