Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

well sorry for all the posts, i'm trying to catch up LOL. It seems like everyone, for the most part, is doing great. A lot of us seem to have the same challenges and questions. Pretty soon we'll all be experts.

I so agree about the bra area incision, mine is feeling so much better now, thank goodness. Over all, the pain is gone. I'm just "sore" when I move in certain directions or stretch/reach for something. I can, however, sleep on my belly without problems now.. YEAHHHH

Baylors Mom, Glad to hear you are okay.

Thanks KMO- thats also what my nutritionist said... and since I'm lactose intolerant, I only get my Calcium from the cheese and suppliments. And I need a LOT of calcium due to being on Depo provera (not anymore though). I eat LF string Cheese... and also referring to the ice cream thing (also not trying to sound bitchy... ) its a Skinny Cow Fudge Bar not ice cream lol

it has:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Calories</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>100</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Calories from Fat</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Total Fat</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0g</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Total Fat Percentage</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Saturated Fat</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0g</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Saturated Fat Percentage</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Cholesterol </TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>3mg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Cholesterol Percentage</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>1%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Sodium</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>60mg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Sodium Percentage</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>2%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Total Carbohydrates</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>21g</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Total Carbohydrates Percentage</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>7%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Sugars</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>18g</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Sugar Alcohols</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0g</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Protein</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>4g</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Calcium</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>10%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Dietary Fiber</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0g</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Vitamin A</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>6%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Vitamin C</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Iron</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>4%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems>Trans Fat</TD><TD class=nutinfoItems>0mg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nutinfoItems colSpan=2> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I know its not exactly good for me, but it gets rid of chocolate cravings and it helps me get in calories because I never seem to get enough in.

The Nutritionist even said that the bars were good to use for ice cream cravings or a snack- as snack should be about 100calories. She said that Snacks are important to keep my body going because I am so active. (Not at the moment, but was before and will be in a week when I can REALLY exercise.) I can't wait to go back to NYC and walk 100 blocks again - that was a good feeling :huggie:

Again... not trying to sound bitchy or anything... everyone is different and maybe I shouldn't compare myself (although its so hard not too!) to everyone's diet and what works for them. But I DO appreciate all the tips and info everyone has given me! :huggie:

Happy weightloss July Bandsters!

Hey Leona, sorry if I offended you calling a fudge bar icecream. I think Im the guilty one that did that lol. I just want to say that my point wasn't that you shouldn't eat that, just maybe not as a night time snack. I have no idea what time you are eating at though. lol good luck to you! Again sorry if I misrepresented the fudge bar as ice cream.

Sorry if you think that think you offended me (if that makes sense)... I just wanted to say that a fudge bar can be good to ward off the cravings- but I do admit that it is full of sugar 18gs of it, and I probably shouldn't be eating it as desert/snack at 10pm... (but I do go to bed at 12:30)... I should be drinking that WATER! Maybe that will help.

Thanks for telling starting/ending my day with sugar... maybe I could make crystal light ice bars for dessert since I like to have a cold treat for dessert. In fact, when I get home, I'm gonna do that and put it in the freezer!

I just wanted to say that I am in NO way offended...just grateful for help and advice. ;) but lol for having ice cream on the brain... mmm sounds good ;)

Sorry to hear about all the problems you have been having. After hearing (personally) from others who have had the banding, the big thing is not with or right after a meal. I think drinking before helps fill up the stomach and not the pouch.

Hope you are on the mend and feeling better.

By the way, I am a woman!!! Just happen to have a horse ranch.

Well everyone I got some good news. My doc says everything is going great!! I am eating right on, getting plenty of Fluid, and she told me I could start exercising and lifting weights. Well as soon as she told me I could I went off and started lifting. I am sore today but I feel so good. I got on the scale at the docs and low and behold I broke my 100lb mark total and I have lost 15 lbs in about 2 weeks. The weight off me is such a nice feeling as my overhang is hanging farther than it ever has, I have skin folds now which is a pian but still a nice feeling. Seeing that I have lost 100lbs was such an accomplishment. It was my second milestone in a journey of 5. (5, 50lb losses) This can be done even tho the mushies are not my favorite soon soft solids are looming!!!

Just remember be proud of yourselves, just getting to the surgery is an accomplishment!!

KMO: I am so glad that you are back!! After chatting with you, I didn't see you on here and wondered what had happened. Thank God that they found out what was going on and treated you!! It's been a rough start, and you've been a trooper!! 10 lbs. gone....hurrah!!

Concerning the Water before meals, I am allowed to drink right up to my meal and actually practiced this during my pre-op time. I'm thinking as KMO stated, that maybe some docs think it could cause one to feel too full so they don't get in enough food/nutrition in the meal. It didn't affect me like that, but of course, that was pre-band.

I reread my stuff and called my doc's assistant to be sure during my "practice time".

Baylor Mom: So happy to hear your band is okay. Sorry about the tests and what happened after....Hang in there!!

Leona06: You are doing AWESOME!! And I can bet when you start walking in New York, you are going to drop those lbs./inches like crazy!! Really curious to hear about the fill, too, when you get it! Please report. I'm a little nervous about that part!!

Coach Buckley: KUDOS to you for breaking 100 lbs!! I can't wait until that day!! Seems like you are healing well and continuing to drop that weight!!

EVERYONE: All of you are such a support and help to me!! I feel like I have a bunch of new friends from all over and it is so totally awesome that we are in the same boat. Thanks for the encouragement and the openness to share about your experiences.

This is sooo helpful!! WE ARE SUCCEEDING WITH OUR BANDS!!!

Last night my husband said the nicest thing to me and it made me feel really good. I think everyone should hear it, maybe it will make you feel good too. I was saying to him how I was worried that I wasn't going to lose a pound that day because I had ate a couple bites of silk pie with supper. And he was like ' Kari this is a rest of your life thing, you aren't on a 'diet' anymore you are on a life plan to lose weight, you have your whole life to lose the weight, as long as you are losing nomatter how slow you are doing great.' And I thought to myself.. oh yeah, im not on a diet anymore where I have to 'hit it hard' because I know eventually im going to give up get sick of it and pig out. Thats the cycle of my life up to this point, I was always a good dieter in that I could lose a bunch of wieght fast, but then eventually id gain it back even faster and more than I started out at. It hit home to me what everyone is always saying.. This band is a tool! Ive gotta work it and stop thinking like I did before I had it. Im not saying that im going to make eating pie an everyday occurance but once in awhile im going to have something BAD to eat thats just so GOOD. lol. But unlike the past its not going to blow my 'diet' and set me on a path to gaining tons of weight and giving up on losing and getting to a healthy weight.

My girlfriend (who had the band 3 years ago) can eat what she wants. She had a cracker with some cheese the other day and said "I may be only able to eat one cracker but it will be the best cracker I can find". Am hoping to get to that point also that one cracker will satisfy and fill me up.

Checking in. I am a July 21 bandster. I am still on my clear liquid fast. Weight is dropping off. I am finding it hard to Celebrate my loss as I can't even believe I got that heavy in the first place. But I am very pleased that it IS actually coming off.

Day 18 on my fast. Every day is a new challenge. Some days I am fine, some days I find it very difficult. Yesterday was pretty easy. Had some real grumbly moments. My broth or one cranberry juice a day helps quieten that down.

Not ready to run a marathon or anything, but am able to do my daily housework and cooking chores with no pain or trouble. Will start my short walks soon.

Hope all my July buddies are doing well...

WOW! us july bandsters are doin' great!

Congrats, coach! i am so proud of you!

Karik - you (& your hubby) have the right attitude and that's how we have to approach this, as a tool. We didn't get this way overnite and it won't change overnite so keep on pluggin away.

charlie horse - your girlfriend has it right, let's make the best of what we can eat! we might as well enjoy what we take it or we'll never be satisfied and make poor choices!

(god, i feel like a frickin cheerleader - you know the one's i used to want to sit on! ugh!)

Just a question... I was banded on the 21 of july and since then I have lost about 20 lbs. But I have noticed that I dont have that much restriction since I am not on liquids now. i used to get really full after like a half a cup of Soup . now that Im on to solids I dont really feel the same full sensation. is this normal??

NatesMommy.. thats is TOTALLY normal. The swelling in your stomach is slowing retreating and now you're wide-open! Just be careful not to overdue it! ;) CONGRATS on bandland!!!!