Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

i'm still on stuck at my current weight loss. I haven't lost anymore weight since i started eating real food. I know all the weight i lost is because i was only eating liquids for so long.

I actually got out and exercised. I know i'm a month post op but i just started. I was never big on exercising so yesterday i was proud of myself for actually getting out and doing that. I just walked for 30 mins but it felt pretty good.

So anybody else start exercising? if so any difficulties w/the band and exercising?

I wouldn't refer to what I am experiencing as "difficulties", but I have to ride a recumbant bike because I have arthritis in my knees so bad. Every time I pedal, my thighs push my stomach up, alternating from side to side. When the side with my port is pushed up, my port and it's lead to the band feel kind of weird...it's hard to describe. There is no pain, just kind of a vibrating, if that makes any sense. I just try to ignore it and do my 30 minutes at least 4 times a week.

I was banded July 5th and I'm down 33 lbs since I started my 2 weeks pre-op liquids on June 21st.

I eat this typically:

Breakfast - Slim Fast shake blended with ice and added chocolate Protein Powder.< /p>

lunch - 1 cup cottage cheese and a snack container of peaches

snack - SF Jell-O pudding or 2 pieces of string cheese

Supper - 4 oz Protein - (i.e., chicken, steak, roast, hamburger, cottage cheese)

snack - SF Jell-O pudding or a SF shake

I know I need to drink more Water - I'm trying - and I've started riding my recumbant bike 4 times a week. I'm weighing every Wednesday for the gone for good club and my surgery was also on a Wednesday, so I weigh by the week after the surgery.

This weekend I went out of town and we ate out three times - the first time the girls I was with picked Arbys, so I had a hot ham & cheese and didn't eat the bun. Then we ate at Olive Garden and I ordered the Parmesan Crusted Talapia fish and ate one piece of zucchini. Then the third time I ordered a mushroom and swiss burger without the bun. Otherwise I ate cottage cheese, and some rotisserie chicken I had brought along for protein.

I use FitDay.com to record my intake and activity.

Leona06

I'm no expert I can only go on the experience of the people I've met who have been through this and one friend who is at goal.

as your not loosing weight have you tried drinking more Water and not having your Snacks? I find that 'cos i'm drinking soo much in between meals I don't have time or hunger for extra food. It might work.

I was also told not to have cheese or just a tiny bit as its full of fat. If you change from cheese to something else that might help too...it seems a shame to go through the op and not start to feel the benefit, but we all have to find what works for us. Hope you don't mind me commenting I just want to help! Good Luck

Somebody asked why we couldn't drink after food, it's cos it will wash the food straight through the pouch making us hungry quicker. My doc said not to drink for 1 hour after food. I'm finding that difficult but just managing as long as I drink lots throughout the rest of the day i don't get thirsty.

Leona06, I might be wrong and im so new to this band stuff myself. So don't listen to me if you don't want to lol. The thing I see that you MIGHT be doing wrong is you are starting your day with sugar (orange juice) and ending your day with sugar (ice cream). I stop eating anything with sugar at 6 pm and try to have Protein for breakfast. That gives me 12+ hours of no sugar carbs for my body to burn so instead it burns my own fat (hopefully!). Seriously though im not a dietician or an expert or anything so I hope other ppl give their imput!

I see what you mean about sugar, but I'm still gonna have a fill next Monday so I can jumpstart the weightloss before I leave my doc for school. I'll be 3 and a half hours away from him in NYC but I'll be able to come home once a month to see him, and there are several doc specializing in lapband at NYU's hospital. I think it's time to cut back even more... I can eat almost a cup at every meal- a sure sign I'm ready for a fill.

Other than that, I have another week and a day before my doc lets me start exercising (besides walking)... My birthday is my 6 week mark! ~Aug 16th~ and I go back to school on the 21st where I have a personal trainer lined up (she's my cousin, but she's certified haha) to kick my butt into gear! So maybe with the fill and the kick-butt pilates I'm about to start, my weightloss will soar!

I am having no problems with my port now, no problems eating anything except bread and Pasta (I haven't tried), and I'm only having nausia when I get anxious (not band related) so its been a good few weeks. :)

wow! banded on 7/25 and would kill for chewable food. i am on liquids for 2 more weeks (8/23) and can't wait. i'm trying not to weigh myself so no idea on how much i have lost but i do know the seats at the movietheater were bigger! i am struggling with the words because pizza is on 23 x's! you'll getthem today!

I was able to finish my Water yesterday :clap2: and it felt good. I read somewhere that having water before breakfast might help, so I tried that today and it did. I was able to eat earlier in the morning and it wasn't tight.

I've started again on the water and am on my second 16 oz cup.

:hungry:

Breakfast: 10:25am 12 oz of ProRated powder from Costco

Lunch: 12:45pm 3oz steak & 2 oz chicken flavored pasta

:clap2: :clap2: CONTRATULATIONS to all of you that have been doing so well after being banded. Keep up the awesome job!!

Hi peeps, went out to eat for the first time since banding. It worked out great, my husband and I shared an entree, I ate 1/4 cup mashed potatoes, about 1/4 cup of cheesy Soup and a few bites of chocolate french silk pie (did I die and go to heaven? lol) yummm. My husband ate everything else. It just went so well I had to share with you guys. I just wonder if I can lose weight doing this?? Im eating way less than I used to so I hope so!!

Yahoo...today I started mushies and I am one happy person!!! Grits for breakfast, about 3 oz of tuna salad for lunch and egg beaters and a side of pureed carrots for dinner. Not exciting but felt like real food in my mouth. :hungry: The 30 minute pre food and 30 minute post food for liquids wait was a lot harder than I expected. I never realized how much I sip liquids while eating. Guess it will become second nature??? When??? I want it now!!! LOL

After a month post-surgery I still wonder if I am crazy to bring this banding into my life. It takes work. You really can't eat and grab or just eat whatever. It takes planning and thinking through. Again, guess it will become second nature.

I don't have an appointment for a filling but have a six week check-up at the end of the month and am sure it will be discussed then. I am so worried now that I am off of liquids my weight loss will slow to a snail's pace. I have been spoiled by losing quickly. I agree with someone else's comment that it feels like I am eating so much less .....I hope my body rememebers that and rewards itself with pounds shed.

Good luck to all July banders!!!:clap2:

Well guys I went and had my upper Gi today. The doctor said that my band looked good (amen) but he wants to do some lab work. I have to go and give him some blood tomorrow and then go and see him on Thursday. Bummer. There goes my week. Well I guess it is worth it if I can find out why I still hurt. By the way, if anyone has to get an upper GI for any reason plan to be in the bathroom the rest of the day. I have had diarhea all day long. Not fun. Well I don't know anything else except that I am NOT hungry at all. I am sure my doctor will chew me out for not eating much. I will write more when I know more.

Baylor Mom,

Glad to hear your band is okay, but sorry to hear there are still problems. Keep us posted...

Hi All,

I've had a bit of a set back. Also, I've had a tough time breathing after I was released from the hosp. after surgery, but I thought this had something to do with the pneumonia I got and never called the doc. thinking this was normal for pneumonia. Any how while at my 1 week post op appt., the doc walked in and the first thing he said was "you do not look good, at all". He checked my breathing and temp. I guess the breathing issues was bigger than I thought, also I had a temp of 101. Needless to say the doc sent me for immediate testing and I had a PE, a pulminary embolism.. known as a blood clot. SO I was admitted for 3 days and got blood thinners to melt it away. I have been so discouraged so far. Since surgery I have been in the hospital for 8 days and home for 4.5. UGGHH. Sorry for my pitty party.. I'm just worn out. So hopefully this is a new start for me and i can now concentrate on the band... I did have one happy moment. I stepped on the scale and i've lost 10 pounds. I thought i'd gain, due to the Iv's and such. SO one good thing came of all this. :huggie:

Even though many of you had no idea i was hospitalized, there were a few who did and I'd like to give a special thanks to those of you who sent a PM to raise my spirits and to JMO for checking in and calling me... it really meant a lot to me to hear your words of encouragement.. not to mention you kept me laughing.. .and made my time in the hospital pass by quicker.

Indianlight-

Charlie was referring to why we can't drink BEFORE a meal. I, at first, thought he meant with & after, as well. We were all clear on why we can't with and after but not before.

Also, not to butt in on your info. to Leona.. but the nutritionist I have told me it was okay to have string cheese, it's a good "snack" because of it's Protein content and it's low fat. I agree, maybe 1 a day is good. I guess it depends on what kind you get and how many you eat a day. Right now, i'm not able to eat it because I'm not at that stage yet. :huggie:

I'm not trying to come off as a know it all, because I am far from it. I value any info. i can get. we are all in this together. :huggie: ;) So I hope I didn't come off as a know it all bitchy girl. LOL

Leona06

I'm no expert I can only go on the experience of the people I've met who have been through this and one friend who is at goal.

as your not loosing weight have you tried drinking more Water and not having your Snacks? I find that 'cos i'm drinking soo much in between meals I don't have time or hunger for extra food. It might work.

I was also told not to have cheese or just a tiny bit as its full of fat. If you change from cheese to something else that might help too...it seems a shame to go through the op and not start to feel the benefit, but we all have to find what works for us. Hope you don't mind me commenting I just want to help! Good Luck

Somebody asked why we couldn't drink after food, it's cos it will wash the food straight through the pouch making us hungry quicker. My doc said not to drink for 1 hour after food. I'm finding that difficult but just managing as long as I drink lots throughout the rest of the day i don't get thirsty.

Charlie, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you. As you may have read, a few posts back, I was admitted at my appt. and It totally slipped my mind to ask about the drinking before the meal! I am dying to know myself, it just doesn't make sense. The only thing i can think of is it might my us feel too full and we won't eat enough??? If anyone knows the answer to this.. please post.. I'd love to know, So does Charlie, I'm sure... LOL