Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Becoming frustrated with nutritional balance

Guidelines from Dr. Aceves states:

Minimum or Target: 70 grams Protein

Maximum: 800 calories

Maximum: 60 grams Carbs

Maximum: 60 grams Fat

I am working more along 60 Protein, ~650 calories, 30 carbs and 30 fat. Only issue I am having right now is that i feel like the balance is not correct. I understand that 70% of my intake should be from protein but I am only achieving about 50%. I think I know my problem, my Protein shakes are 10 grams fo fat each and I drink two a day. I also tried to incorporate cheese but that too is high in fat.

Ok, so I don't want to stress but I have not lost in several days and feel that since moving to this mooshie stage, the fat content has affected my ability to lose.

Any suggestions would be great!

It's pretty normal for the weight loss to slow down once we hit mushies. Don't panic.

I eat 2% milk cheese by Cracker Barrel, and can you mix your Protein in greek yogurt that is non-fat so you're pumping up the Protein without the fat and carbs?

Just trying to toss out some ideas here.

I wonder how things will go on solids for me. I'm actually finding that mushy/slushy is the hardest part, since most of those go right through and tend to be fairly calorie dense.

Hopefully "real" food will make things easier!

Well Angie... you know my stall story. I'm so much happier since I ditched the scale. Don't make yourself crazy!!!!! Just be sure to get in your Protein. If you feel like I felt there was absolutly no way I could eat more than 800 calories in a day even if I started eating when the sun came up and didn't quit till bed time.

Once your on solid foods it will be easier to tweak your diet. Dense Protein really fills you up.

I don't think there was anything I did that broke my stall (I can tell its broken because of how my cloths fit). I just had to wait till my body was done freaking out.

I'm sorry your going through it though because I know it is sheer hell. And its true what they say... if you have less to lose you will lose slower.

tip: the way I was able to ditch the scale was I got some Ketone strips. The reason i was an obsessive scale whore was because I constantly had to check to see if what I was doing was "working". I check my ketone level every morning and every morning my ketone strip turns pink. As long as thats the case I know I'm burning fat, thats all I need to know... no matter what the scale says (at this point the scale is just giving us info about the weird things our body is doing with Water to try to combat its new circumstances). Those little strips have been really helpful in my letting go of scale whoredome. Its never happened yet... but the day my strip doesnt turn just a little pink... I'll lower my carbs. (I guess now I'm a ketone stip whore)

Take care.. your doing great

Stacey

One of the things that my nutritionist told me was that after I was on solids (I am now), that I would never have to worry about what I ate again in terms of counting calories since I am not able to eat much more that 800 calories or so. It's nice to think of that freedom but frankly, I think more about the quality of what is going in as opposed to the calories, carbs or fat. I am not eating any breads, potatoes or rice anyway (no desire or room!). I am not a slave to my scale either.

I am a bit concerned about the lack of balance, too .. I see the nutritionist on Friday so I will have a chat with her about that. I am sooooooooooooo sick of the Protein shakes, though. I used to love them but I am gagging *sighs*. On to other sources ...

All great advice, thank you!!! I have just come to the conclusion that I really need to focus on my Protein and once I have that and making good choices on the right kind, the carbs and fat will not be too high. Looks like I am back on a losing trend, little by little.

I have that 20 pounds down by one month post op goal in my head and 4 more days to accomplish, so maybe I need to be happy with 18 and Celebrate early!

Maybe it's time for a Protein Shake change? Something with higher Protein, less carbs and fat?

By the way, my nutritionist told me to simply not worry about minding anything other than Protein. She said that 100g of carbs per day was "fine" (as long as most of those are "good" carbs, not sugar/flour). She said to not worry about fat at all, since we can't eat enough volume for it to matter. Bottom line, as long as we're getting enough Vitamins and Protein and Water, and as long as our calorie count is about right, we'll lose weight.

And I agree with others: ditch the scale, or at least don't get on it more than once a week. You can easily gain or lose 2 lbs or more of Water and waste per day, and if you track it too frequently it'll give you a complex!

I never really count calories or fats. I do try to watch my carbs but not for fruits or veggies. I don't eat Pasta or bread etc.

I do count my Protein, but that's the only one I am really careful about.

Hey Angie,

Sorry you're frustrated! I can typically go around 4-5 days before I see a loss anymore, but it definitely increases as my physical level is ramped up. I don't really adhere to any guidelines other than try to get something in! Hoping you hit 20 tomorrow! Oh, are you getting all your Water in? That does help me.

Melisa

I am not strictly monitoring my food at this point. I have done lo carb for so long that it pretty much comes naturally. LOL I eat decent 95% of the time, very little bread, potatoes, rice. Happily getting back into salad now! yea! I do have a treat when I want it. Hasn't affected my weight loss that I have seen.

I stick around 500-700 calories, 60+ Protein, under 40 carbs and <30 fat.

However, after starting to exercise last week .... I have only lost .4!! ugh!! and who said exercise was good????? LOL Probably just a coincidence, I hope!