Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am now able to progress my diet and see what I can tolerate. I have tried some soft ground beef, chicken and a couple bites of mac & cheese which are doing good. I also has 3 TINY bites of hot dog (baseball game, with no other option) and it wasn't as pleasant. I know to stay away from it right now. I'm just wondering what all of you guys did for your diet progression, am I trying too much too fast? My stomach seems to tolerate it pretty good just a lil acid after some of it. I do have one major question..I love salads so when did you guys try lettuce? I'm afraid to try it too soon i'm not sure how it would feel going down:blink:! Any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated...just want to know what I should be trying and what I should be staying away from. So far i'm averaging about 800-1000 calories a day, including my Protein. Thanks for the tips:thumbup:

Hi,

Well, I wasn't "allowed" and didn't dare try solids until a month out as per Aceves instructions. But, as we've all seen, each surgeon is very different. I followed it to the letter because I was self pay and could not afford any complications - and not just from a financial standpoint...

Ok, off the soap box, sorry! About the salads; I missed fresh foods dearly and could not WAIT to get back. The general guideline is three months on fresh food; that is the one guideline I kinda broke. I started with raw veggies - not a lot, just a little salad - at about 2.5 months out and it was heaven!! Even now, salad is a God send; I can eat quite a bit of it, not sure why, guess it compacts down in the stomach pretty easily, really can't explain it.

Good luck!!

C

LOL on the hot dog! I tried some turkey ones a week or two ago, and they weren't great either.

Once I started soft and mushy, I was eating a wide variety. Often, whenever I tried something new, my stomach would gurgle like crazy. Everything stayed down tho! And it wasn't like a sick feeling, just odd.

Try this link; it might give you some ideas for foods. This is primarily what I followed and it worked great for me. It also has some recommended numbers for calories, carbs and Protein.

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

The above says to wait until the 4th month for fresh vegies and salad. I have had a little as garnish along the way. Did eat maybe half a cup or so last week and it settled fine. I will probably stay away from heavy duty carrots, broccoli, etc for now and just do mixed green salad. I really miss it!

good luck!

Edited by pnw218

Thank you for the link....I don't have to blend my food, is that normal? I've just been chewing really good! I'm hoping i'm not stretching out my stomach. All these worries about "real" food and how to know if i'm doing the right thing. I meet with my dietician sometime this week so hopefully I can get some answers from her too! Thanks guys:biggrin0:

Every surgeon has different guidelines I know, but in my nutrition class here we are told salads are not really something they want us to eat. They grouped it with bread, Pasta, popcorn, etc as a "no"... LOL! Simply because the lettuce has very little nutritional value and since it's high in Water content, we can eat a lot more of a salad (eluding to what Keys Pirate said). Just like with everything else, I won't say "never" to anything but I guess I wouldn't suggest eating salad every day. They said we should make up a salad with all the fixins we want but with no lettuce. Weird. I am not to that point yet so haven't tried it out.

If you have a lot of questions about how to progress to more solid foods I would definitely ask the nutritionist at your WL surgeon's office!

This is good information.