Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I posted this on another board too in hopes that someone might have some info:

I am scheduled for surgery 6/8 and I am having a really bad time with my arthritis in my knee (bone on bone). Anybody who had arthritis in the knee before surgery how are you feeling after you have lost weight? I am trying to decide what to do. I don't want to get a new knee until after I have lost weight, but not sure how much longer I can go on with the pain.

What are you taking for the pain? Can your doctor give you a cortisone shot to tide you over until you lose weight? they can last 3 months and longer and give a lot of relief! I didn't hear about this surgery in time so ended up having my knees replaced in the 5th year of my knee problems. But did start getting arthritis in my hip shoulder and one hand shich prompted me to get this surgery as i hated the thought of life with more arthritic pain! Now they are so much better, some soreness now and again but nothing like before! I would make sure to get on Nu-naproxin and get cortisone shots for now! Really really helps!

Good luck with it!

Donna

I had a nasty knee injury at 14yr of age. Torn ACL, torn meniscus, and my parent's insurance made me do PT before they'd pay for surgery. Well, least to say, I did PT, and it did get "better", but never resolved the issue. I reinjured it 2 years later, and had ACL replacement surgery, lots of PT, a donjoy brace for 2 years. Diagnosed with arthritist around the age of 19.

At age 22, I retorn the replaced ACL. Another surgery to go in and clean it up, and found that the remaining portion of meniscus tissue was like hamburger meat, it was removed as were several Calcium deposits.

The pain and swelling progressively worsened as I aged and gained weight.

I can tell you that once I dropped about 50lbs, I saw a major decrease in knee pain. My right knee is shot as well, but I won't let them operate on it.

I could not walk around the mall for more than 30minutes without pain. Squats, lunges were all too painful for to do. Now, I mall walk for hours, I'm shopping, but I'm moving. Squats and lunges still suck, but I do them without wanting to cry.

The only time I have any discomfort is right before it rains, and it's nowhere near the pain/discomfort that I experienced at 270lbs.

Sorry for the ramble, I just thought I'd let ya know that I've been through extensive knee stuff and have found resolution of the pain and swelling with losing weight. My ortho doc warned me that if I didn't lose weight, I'd have a total knee replacement by the time I was 40-45.

Thanks Tif, as usual you are a fountain of knowledge. Last year my ortho was telling me to try and "keep" this knee for another two years, but right now I don't think it will last much longer. I am afraid that once I have the sleeve surgery I won't be able to exercise because of the pain. I think I am going to try and make an appt. with my ortho and try a little cortisone to get me through until I can drop some significant lbs.

Knee arthritis, both knees, had my right knee replaced 2 years ago. I look forward to WLS so I can avoid another knee replacement. Knee replacement is a lot to deal with on a daily basis first two weeks, then it gets much better. Today the replaced knee is pain free and works like a charm. Best.:thumbup:

Thanks Tif, as usual you are a fountain of knowledge. Last year my ortho was telling me to try and "keep" this knee for another two years, but right now I don't think it will last much longer. I am afraid that once I have the sleeve surgery I won't be able to exercise because of the pain. I think I am going to try and make an appt. with my ortho and try a little cortisone to get me through until I can drop some significant lbs.

I would do the same thing, and if it's any consolation I couldn't work out until the end of my 3rd month post-op, and I didn't really bother do much exercising until my 5th month, and even then all I did was 1 day of cardio, 3 days strength training. I walked, and I know exercise is vital, and you'll be able to do much more with every few pounds that drop.

My ortho told me once that for every pound we lose, we relieve 11lbs of pressure per square inch on weight bearing joints. I think that is why we get relief as soon as the weight drops. Now, I've never researched what he told me. I was just happy to keep my original knee, and try to lose more weight.

Edited by Tiffykins

Do not take any steroids for swelling or steroid shots!!! I had some prednisone, and it bumped my surgery back 6 weeks!!!! Something about affecting healing. I was so upset, had I known I would have dealt with the ear infection on my own!!!!

Whoa! Thanks chelle. I will try and tough it out. I had to stop my ibuprofen, so I can't wait to get some relief.

Check on corticosteroids with your ortho, they usually do not use the same formulation for the joint remedy injections as what we take orally. They are different than prednisone, or predinisolone.

I'm 58 yrs old and have been on Celebrex for the last 7 years for arthritis in my knees, hips and back. I was sleeved on 4/7/2010 and my Dr. told me to stop taking Celebrex as it could hurt my new stomach. I thought I would never be able to walk again if I did that.

I haven't had Celebrex since my surgery, and have lost 52 lbs. I try to walk on the treadmill every day for at least 40 minutes. My knees feel wobbly the next morning, but don't really hurt. I think the combination of MAKING myself get on the treadmill and the loss of weight has helped the pain go away.

When I walk on concrete, (for exercise, ex: walking paths) I DO have a little pain, but nothing like I used to have before the surgery.

This is like a miracle for me, because I used to be in constant pain before the surgery if I didn't take Celebrex.

VSG 4/7/2010

Post op weight: 365

Current weight: 313

Texaschick - I have 2 bad knees and the need 2 knee replacements. I also have arthritis in my back. One of the major reasons to have this surgery was to help my arthritis and to have a better result when I have knee replacement surgery. My surgery was 3/3 and my knees get better every day. For the first 6 weeks it was all I could do to walk slowly on the treadmill 3-5 times a week for 10-20 minutes, but it helped. At 6 weeks I began using my recumbent bike again and doing power pilates (both are arthritis friendly). I recently had synvisc injections done in my knees - talk to you ortho about that - it helps the bone on bone pain.