Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mary,

I don't have the gurgling or burping so I don't know. I take a sip of gavescon when I get the heartburn.

I would call and ask the dr. if I were you.

I am doing much better off the PPI.

I would have to go back and check previous posts to remember exactly when I stopped it, but my body is adjusting.

sorry there was a double post for some reason

Edited by Oregondaisy

Hi Oregan. I managed to get off mine too after a year. It took longer than I thought (3 weeks) and I still need a swig of gaviscon occassionally. But I am pleased to be nearly drug free now.

I was actually waiting to hear back from the nurse as a followup to my 2 week postop appointment last week. The doc wasn't in that day so she was going to review everything with him and call me. I'll call today since I haven't heard back from her and try to clarify some of this stuff. Thanks.

Is Zantac an acid reducer? That is what I am taking -- the dr., gave it to me for a month... But I had to take a TUMS today because I had just major heartburn... The last time I had heartburn was when I was pregnant!!:thumbup:

Zantac is an h2 blocker, and not a proton pump inhibitor. Zantac will treat the symptoms of acid reflux, but will not stop the acid production like Prilosec or Prevacid that you can buy OTC.

H2 blockers, and PPIs work differently, and is possibly why you are still having acid issues.

Thanks Tiffykins. That makes sense. I called the dr. today and he told me to purchase prilosec and take one a day... he told me to STOP taking the zantac. Is taking both an over kill?

He said if the prilosec did not work by next week, then he would recommend that I take Carafate which is prescription only. Anyone heard of it?

Thanks Tiffykins. That makes sense. I called the dr. today and he told me to purchase prilosec and take one a day... he told me to STOP taking the zantac. Is taking both an over kill?

He said if the prilosec did not work by next week, then he would recommend that I take Carafate which is prescription only. Anyone heard of it?

Some people take both until the Prilosec kicks in. Just to let you know my RX pamphlet advises that it could take up to 14 days for the Prilosec to kick in. Just make sure you take it on an empty stomach and don't eat for at least an hour after you take it.

It did take several days for it to kick in for me. I've heard of carafate, it's used to treat ulcers as well.

I hope the Prilosec helps. I really have been pleased with my results with Prilosec.

Oh shoot.. I ate right after!! lol Why should you wait? I read the box and it didn't mention it but then again our situation is a little different so just wondering.

Well, I was thinking of taking both until the prilosec kicked in -- I am so miserable! I wake up with heart burn! I go to sleep with heart burn! It is just an ALL day affair.

Are you still taking prilosec after 13 months? I was reading the box and it talks about not taking for more than 14 days.. So, I am curious why that is..

Some people take both until the Prilosec kicks in. Just to let you know my RX pamphlet advises that it could take up to 14 days for the Prilosec to kick in. Just make sure you take it on an empty stomach and don't eat for at least an hour after you take it.

It did take several days for it to kick in for me. I've heard of carafate, it's used to treat ulcers as well.

I hope the Prilosec helps. I really have been pleased with my results with Prilosec.

I'm still taking it, and will continue to do so.

The reason to take it on an empty stomach is to ensure that it is absorbed properly, and can start working quicker.

It's the same drug regardless of OTC or RX. I just get mine for free on base so I'm not going to pay for it if I get it for free.

Most surgeons want their patients on a PPI for 3-6 months. I'm not willing to go off of mine yet. It's a personal choice, and I discussed it in depth with my surgeon at my 1 year f/u last month. He is fine with me being on it, and we will revisit the subject at my 18 month follow up in December.

If you eat, you can wait 2-3 hours and then take the Prilosec. OTC meds are labeled for more temporary relief, but a lot of people use OTC meds long term because they can't get an RX from their doctors.

I didn't have reflux pre-op, I don't want to deal with it now. The side effects from taking it are so minimal for me, and my current health status, that I am not concerned. I'd rather take my Prilosec than develop Barrett's esophagus or experience horrific reflux.

Oregondaisy.... I think it was about 6 or maybe 7 weks ago you started kicking the ppi's .. I can't remember. If your bodys adjusting thats great. I have read that it can take up to 3 months. I can't remember now... how did you stop? did you cut down to every other day then every 3rd day or did you replace some doses with zantac??? I know you used gavascon a lot. any tips would be helpful. I have to wait 10 more weeks before I can try again... but I'd like to get off of them.

I have occasionally taken a pepsid OTC the chewable kind. I do take Tagment before dinner if I feel like what I am eating is going to cause heartburn. This is how my PCP suggested I wean down.

I rarely take either of those, other than a little swig of occasionally gavescon though.

I have been taking Prevacid for the past few weeks and it seemed to work well until recently, the acid has kicked up a bit, and my Doctor wrote me an RX for Nexium. I am going to fill it and try it once but my insurance only covers it partially and it is an expensive medication to fill. I still swear by the cherry flavored Rolaids chews when my acid is acting up bigtime. They seem to work almost instantly for me, absorbing the acid and give me a big dose of Calcium at the same time. Also, depending on whether or not you are limiting carbs, a few saltine crackers absorb stomach acid VERY well, just like a sponge in Water. If my stomach is upset and I feel acid bothering me, i'll much on some saltines and chew a couple Rolaids chews and it soothes my stomach within 5 minutes.