Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well,

Just a little update, as of today I have lost 100.6 pounds and it feels great. I am getting my life back, doing things I have not done in years and looking forward to doing a lot more.

I am getting my Open Water Diver's Cert. renewed next month and plan to spend a lot of time underwater this summer. This is something that I loved to do 15 years ago and lost it to over eating. Friends and family are seeing me crawl under vehicles to do the work myself instead of having to ask my son or nephew to do it. Heck I can even get off the ground without having to grab ahold of something to pull myself up. I'm riding my motorcycle more, life is just great.

The vertical sleeve is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Even if I didn't get any help from my insurance company.

But you know I feel the best thing coming from this is I feel I will be on this Earth a little longer and get to spend more time with my wonderful kids and grandchild.

Once again thanks to all the people on this site for your posts, prayers and friendship.

A special thanks to my sleevebuddy Keys Pirate and her husband Rich for their friendship.

I hope everyone has a great week and good luck on your weight loss journey.

Gary

Woohoo! Fantastic job Gary! Keep it up!

Well done Gary, I wish more people knew about this op. I have to stifle the urge to accost fat people in the street to tell them what they could do about their situation. It would just be too impolite. Diving is way better when you are not whale shaped!

WOW that is so awesome, I hope I can lose 70-100 in four months. Just out of curiosity how many calories are you eating? I find that two weeks out I am around 800-900. Where do you end up?

WOW again, lol congrats!!

Wow! Congratulations Gary that is an amazing amount of weight to lose in such a short time and as a fellow "self pay" I agree that it is money well spent! Congrats to you too AJW and Keys Pirate, how exciting!

WOW that is so awesome, I hope I can lose 70-100 in four months. Just out of curiosity how many calories are you eating? I find that two weeks out I am around 800-900. Where do you end up?

WOW again, lol congrats!!

Thanks, I stay in the 650 to 700 range and at the first had trouble doing that.

I'm sure Gary would agree and I've seen this with other people having had WLS that the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off at the beginning, then it will slow down. So for people who have to lose between 80-100 pounds, it will not drop off in 4 months, I guarantee you of that. I started on Medifast as a pre-op weight loss tactic 1 year ago (Memorial Day weekend - well the day after the holiday.) I lost 26 pounds by Aug. 10th, the date of my sleeve surgery. The first day I lost 5 lbs. of Water weight by just cutting carbs. So I weighed 220 on surgery day, and now weigh 146. It tooks 9.5 mos. to lose 74 lbs. post-op, altogether 100 pounds. I sent another patient to Dr. Aceves and he weighed approx. 400 pounds; IDK for sure cause he didn't want to say, but it was really close to that weight. He dropped 90 pounds in 3.5 months, but he's got a lot more weight to lose than most folks on here. That's how it works, the more you need to lose, the faster it comes off in the beginning, then it slows down. Ask Tiffy, she knows as she's been at this longer than a lot of people on this board. I keep my calories between 600-700 a day, and yes, I still use Medifast food for Snacks, etc., and since I can't eat much at dinner, not much goes in. I do drink wine, but I track those calories, too. It's all good.

Edited by AJW

Thanks, I stay in the 650 to 700 range and at the first had trouble doing that.

Heh, not me. I'm around 900-1000 but it's because I'm staying crazy low on the carbs. It's almost impossible to have low cal and low carbs I'm finding. The fat grams are higher than I would like too but it sure is working!

Lovin my sleeve!

C

Awesome job Gary!!!! Can't wait to get there too.

Congratulations!!! Amazing that you are going to start diving, what a great way to celebrate! Go for LIFE!!!

I fully agree AJW, me starting at 360 plus pounds has everything to do with me dropping the weight so fast. Also being a guy helps, don't know all the medical reasons for that but I know it is easier for a guy even without surgery. I have actually dropped 90 to 100 pounds before just to gain it and more back. With the sleeve that will not be happening this time.

I know that if I had only needed to lose 50 or 60 pounds it would not have came off this fast. I started off needing to lose 147 pounds, so I've still have the hard part to go.

Thanks again for all the kind words.