Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

this isn't real to me

My surgery is in less than a week, and it still isn't real to me. I am having a hard time grasping how different everything is going to be. Did anyone else go through this?

Yes, most likely everyone. It's good you have this forum, or my doctor recommended a support group to got to. This forum feels like that to me. Try not to worry. You will be fine.

I felt the same way. Sometimes I still feel that way and I have been sleeved for a week. I'm sure it will seem real for both of us real soon!

I get that too..... I know in theory from this board, and think I have my head round it... but think reality will only actually kick in post op - when theres no going back (not that I'd want to!!).

For me its like something I have always wanted but never dreamed I could have.... so almost the unthinkable.... to be slim!!!

I felt exactly the same way. In fact I didn't even get really NERVOUS about the surgery (and I'm a MEGA hypochondriac) until the morning of the surgery. And then it all happened so fast that I was sleeved before I had time to freak out.

Now, post-sleeve by 13 days, I feel so... NORMAL that I have to remind myself that I had a major operation and to treat my body with care and follow all the guidelines.

So I think what you're going through is very normal!

My surgery was two months ago and I STILL feel that way! I am surprised at every meal by how little I can eat and how satisfied I feel when I'm finished! I still worry that I may slip and over-eat, and I'm always surprised that (a) I don't want to, and (:biggrin0: even if I wanted to, I really couldn't!

But like ouroborous, I mostly feel more normal than I ever have. And I LOVE being a bird-like eater!

I think everyone go's through it. My surgery is in two days (Friday at 7) and I still feel like it's not a reality yet. Feels like I should be researchin something, reading something, considering something, or thinking of the surgery so I am starting to get antsy but I don't think I am going to really freak out until tomorrow night or Friday morning while getting ready.

AWww, good luck Angie, I am 3 weeks out and the reality is ther now but even as they rooled me into surgery I was thinking I guess I'm really going to do this now.lol I'm glad I did tho.:biggrin0:

This thread is awesome. This is exactly what I'm feeling now, like losing weight is a dream that would never happen. I don't see myself skinny at all because it's been so long.

I totally understand what you are saying, and i don't even feel nervous yet because i still think this is a dream, even though i am about to end the first day of my pre-op diet....i can't imagine myself being small, it's crazy to think about....anyway, good luck to you all!

I am so glad to have found this forum. I am waiting for my surgical consult and still feel like I am not 100% sure that I can do this. I know I want to, I guess just afraid that I won't be able to cap my emotional eating and that scares me. I am so strong in every other aspect of my life. Wish I could convert that strength to this and convince myself that this CAN work for me and that I CAN get through it.