Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Small sins

LOL You always only see it your way. As I have asked you before, just make your posts positive without saying or insinuating that someone else is wrong. It really isn't hard to do. Even I have done it!

There are as many different guidelines, etc etc as there are paint colors.

Re-read what you wrote:

I'll just ditto to what they had to say. It's just not worth it. Whatever your surgeon guidelines are, please stick to them. They have way more experience with these surgeries than any one member on this forum. (does that include you???) Just because some other guideline is out there doesn't mean it's okay to follow it. (directed at me even tho you have posted it as well) We trusted the surgeons to remove 75-85% of our stomachs, trust them with their post-op diet recommendation. (and what about the dr who says anything you can tolerate is ok, shall we trust them??? would be totally contradictory to your advice and admonishments to those who do move past some stages faster)

In his book, "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff... author Richard Carlson says, "Needing to be right - or needing someone else to be wrong - encourages others to become defensive and puts pressure on us (you) to keep defending."

Try it, you just might like it. I have always said what worked for me and that it was my opinion. I have never said that someone was bad, wrong or crazy for doing something different. I have offered others who asked different options so they could see what works best for them.

Liquids didn't work for me. Was I wrong to move to something that did? I don't think so but you sure lectured me at the time. I had to find foods/beverages that would help me to recover and feel better. Thank God there were open minded people out there who offered me help and choices, and didn't just insult me and tell me to buck up.

I am done here. Will watch for your next rude email and jump in there. People need encouragement, not discipline. Think about it.

OMGosh!!!!

Go the EFF away would you!!

:)

Hi, this is my 11 day after the surgery and yesterday I went out for a birthday party with my children, I didn't have much choices about what to eat so I have Water and yogurt but I was craving to eat something so I ate a couple of pork skins now I feel terrible and scare because that might stop my weight loss. Any advice???

Hi Maravilla!

Looks like your posting got hijacked by a fruit loop!!!

Dont pay any attention to her she is just jealous for some unknown reason.

Regarding your question though it looks like everyone else has given you really good advice.

I know its really frustrating during this time. I was sick to death of Soup and wanted something crunchy so bad. My weakness is popcorn! UGH!!!

It wont be too much longer now.

Hang in there sweetie!!:)

I think it is strange how different the post-op diets vary among surgeons. I was amazed how strict others post-op diets were. I guess I had it easy.

Day 1-2 liquids clear the first and the second any liquid.< /p>

Day 3-10 soft food 1 1/2 oz blenderized meat with moistener and 1 oz blended vegetable if you could fit it in after the meat.

Week 2 and on 2 oz meat/protein and 1-2 vegetables as tolerated not blended.

I am in no way advocating not following your doctor's orders. I am only commenting on how different the diets can be. I felt I had in incredibly talented and competent surgeon. It is interesting how conservative my surgeon is in other ways like not advocating this surgery for NSAID use while other surgeons do. I even asked him about his post-op diet during my pre-op visit because I thought it was weird as I had been reading how others were so strict and he told me he did not think it was necessary. He felt it was more important to be getting natural sources of Protein in as quickly as possible. Again I want to say it is important to follow you own doctors orders. I am wondering if surgical technique plays any role in what kind of post-op diet a doctor requires. I know many others have drain tubes and stitches where I had no drain and durabond adhesive and no external stitches. Plus my surgeon does all his laproscopic procedures robotically. I am curious if that plays any role in post-op diet and healing. Maravilla, this post probably in no way helped you, sorry. I just thought it important to say how different one surgeon can be from another so we should definitely be tolerant of everyone on this board because no one diet experience will be the same and not get sucked into there being one right way to do this surgery or a post-op diet. If you are still very unhappy talk with your doctor and see how he feels about you advancing your diet. There is always a chance he might think your ready but I wouldn't decide on your own or from my or any other board members advice. Good luck even if you have to wait you'll get through it.

At eleven days, I was eating most anything I wanted - within reason and either mushy/soft or chewed very well.

I found the Cornell guideline before my surgery and it worked great for me. I think the most important aspect is not to eat anything that will damage your stitch line - like nuts or anything that could stay crunchy and get stuck, causing an infection.

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

I also think it depends alot on what your stomach will tolerate. Many patients here talked about eating chili early on and I could never have done that! LOL

Sorry maravilla, I was only relating my experience to you and then responding to those who said I was wrong, even tho they have also shared the same guidelines. I apologized to you earlier via pm but thought I would do it publicly as well.

In the meantime, maybe everyone should re-read this as several posted mean things after Susan posted this reminder. Thanks Susan for reminding all of us of the rules.

Hi Maravilla, I apologize that your thread has been hijacked by what appears to be a disagreement between members that needs to be taken to pm as opposed to deterring from the help that you requested.

Maravilla, at eleven days out, I would strongly recommend that you not venture away from the diet that was prescribed to you by your doctor. You have had a potentially life changing surgery, please do not put yourself at risk by not following your doctors orders. When I was post-op, if I had to attend a function, I knew it was unlikely that they would have foods that matched my doctors post-op instructions. Therefore, I always made sure to bring whatever I would need with me.

What you did should not affect your weight loss, however, not following your doctors orders and eating foods you shouldn't could hurt the healing process.

My preferred advice always is to check with your doctor. You paid them a lot of money to take care of you and you entrusted your health to them. If you find your post-op diet is not working for you, you are starving, or whatever then call him/her. That is what they are there for. They can offer you suggestions that will help you get through the post-op period.

As for the members having disagreements with each other, how about we keep the personal attacks off of the message boards, and not overrun someones thread who is genuinely asking for needed advice. You may attack the idea, but not the person. Take the arguing to pm, or block the person if you simply cannot tolerate their postings.

I think it is strange how different the post-op diets vary among surgeons. I was amazed how strict others post-op diets were. I guess I had it easy.

Day 1-2 liquids clear the first and the second any liquid.

Day 3-10 soft food 1 1/2 oz blenderized meat with moistener and 1 oz blended vegetable if you could fit it in after the meat.< /p>

Week 2 and on 2 oz meat/protein and 1-2 vegetables as tolerated not blended.

I am in no way advocating not following your doctor's orders. I am only commenting on how different the diets can be. I felt I had in incredibly talented and competent surgeon. It is interesting how conservative my surgeon is in other ways like not advocating this surgery for NSAID use while other surgeons do. I even asked him about his post-op diet during my pre-op visit because I thought it was weird as I had been reading how others were so strict and he told me he did not think it was necessary. He felt it was more important to be getting natural sources of Protein in as quickly as possible. Again I want to say it is important to follow you own doctors orders. I am wondering if surgical technique plays any role in what kind of post-op diet a doctor requires. I know many others have drain tubes and stitches where I had no drain and durabond adhesive and no external stitches. Plus my surgeon does all his laproscopic procedures robotically. I am curious if that plays any role in post-op diet and healing. Maravilla, this post probably in no way helped you, sorry. I just thought it important to say how different one surgeon can be from another so we should definitely be tolerant of everyone on this board because no one diet experience will be the same and not get sucked into there being one right way to do this surgery or a post-op diet. If you are still very unhappy talk with your doctor and see how he feels about you advancing your diet. There is always a chance he might think your ready but I wouldn't decide on your own or from my or any other board members advice. Good luck even if you have to wait you'll get through it.

yep, I totally agree with you. When someone posts that they are having a hard time or not feeling good, I have shared my experience. All drs are different just as all recoveries are different. I had no issues and others spent days in ICU's and didn't even have complications. Kinda like childbirth. Some do it without meds, some get knocked out : )

Hopefully those of us with different experiences and opinions will be allowed to share them without fear :thumbup:

OMGosh!!!!

Go the EFF away would you!!

:thumbup:

How do you continue to get away with posts like this?

Immore...11 days out (or sooner) I started licking the flavor off doritos, lol...it was HARD to not chomp down on a few, but I thought I was gonna croak on fluids. You will eventually be able to eat anything, but for a few more weeks you will need to think ahead and bring a softer snack with you...and eventually you can eat all those Pork rinds you want--they are pretty low in fat and even have some protein!

I still have weird days that at 10:15 I'm still full from Breakfast and at 10:30 I am starving to death and must have food immediately, rather it is a good choice or a bad one!

As far the drama on this post? It was fun to read! Especially since I don't 'have a dog in this fight'!

Immore...11 days out (or sooner) I started licking the flavor off doritos, lol...it was HARD to not chomp down on a few, but I thought I was gonna croak on fluids. You will eventually be able to eat anything, but for a few more weeks you will need to think ahead and bring a softer snack with you...and eventually you can eat all those Pork rinds you want--they are pretty low in fat and even have some protein!

I still have weird days that at 10:15 I'm still full from Breakfast and at 10:30 I am starving to death and must have food immediately, rather it is a good choice or a bad one!

As far the drama on this post? It was fun to read! Especially since I don't 'have a dog in this fight'!

I don't understand your post to me. I am six weeks out, and I only eat what my surgeon has recommended. I am looking forward to the day when I can eat dense meats and raw vegatables. Although this stage is a hell of a lot better than the liquids only stage. :o)

:blush::lol0::lol0::lol0::lol0::lol0::lol0::lol0::lol0: THAT MADE BUST OUT LAUGHING!!

Licking the doritos, hahhahaha too cute!

I still have weird days that at 10:15 I'm still full from breakfast and at 10:30 I am starving to death and must have food immediately, rather it is a good choice or a bad one!

We're having our annual company crawfish boil next weekend and I plan to LICK the crawfish and suck the juice out of the pincers! LOL

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Goodlife--SOMEONE that likes Crawfish-finally! I am much farther along and I can eat almost 2 lbs of them...they are LOVELY, and so LOW in fat etc.

Sorry Immore, for some reason I thought you were 11 days out--I think that was the previous post I had read. At 6 weeks my doc told me to eat it all--I was adament I could NOT eat anything but soft stuff, he literally had to make me eat soft fish, told my husband to go directly to Luby's and purchase me a dinner. After I got over my fear that my sleeve would somehow unravel I have been able to eat all my protein--not drink it!

Goodlife--SOMEONE that likes Crawfish-finally! I am much farther along and I can eat almost 2 lbs of them...they are LOVELY, and so LOW in fat etc.

Sorry Immore, for some reason I thought you were 11 days out--I think that was the previous post I had read. At 6 weeks my doc told me to eat it all--I was adament I could NOT eat anything but soft stuff, he literally had to make me eat soft fish, told my husband to go directly to Luby's and purchase me a dinner. After I got over my fear that my sleeve would somehow unravel I have been able to eat all my protein--not drink it!

HA! I'm a coonass through and through...I was born eating crawfish in my momm'a milk! LMAO.

By the time I can have them again, crawfish season will be over....but I'm already looking forward to next year!

How do you continue to get away with posts like this?

I can not stand bullies!!

You should probably block me then you wont have to see my postings.