Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still have to "work" HARD after lapband???

Okay, I'm to be banded in 1 month. I'm getting a little concerned about everyone saying that with the Lapband, one still has to "work" really hard to lose weight. Okay, I know, this sounds terrible... an easy fix? How dare I even dream! But dream, I did... and now I'm not so sure.

You see, I wouldn't weigh as much as I do now if I had ANY willpower. And yet, I'm being told that I'll need willpower to succeed. Should I waste my money if "I" can't do it anymore?

I've lost weight three times by eating super small portions, and eating only when I felt physical hunger. It's a great way to lose, but after about a year, "I" can't keep it up anymore. Every meal is a battle, and the one time I give in, it's downhill from there.

Now I weigh more than ever! And to think, 4 years ago I was a size 8!

So, here's my question: please define "work"...

If eating super small portions worked before, and now my stomach will be so small that I can't overeat, how can the Lapband NOT work? What kind of "work" is required of me to succeed? Please, do help... I'm willing to do my part, I'm just hoping for some help. Thanks.

Lizzie :help:

I love this question because I seriously thought about it myself. You see, now I'm able to exercise every day, eat well every day, follow all the rules every day... why hadn't I done that before? If I had I surely would have lost weight. Why all of the sudden do I have will power? Couldn't I have done all this work before being banded? And then I realized - I HAD done that before! But because it took SO LONG to come off and because it was a drain to think of all the food I had to prepare and preparing Snacks in between meals, it was nearly impossible to keep up. The band just makes it A LOT easier to maintain that willpower. Buy yourself a lean cuisine and you're set for the afternoon - how easy is that? And the scale keeps moving. For me, that's the MOST motivating thing that keeps me on track (not to mention all the money I spent on the band). So, for me at least, I'd say that the band is silicone willpower. What wasn't there before is there now.

I am new here, but I have had my band since last January, and have lost approx 75lbs, I agree with you! I had this done so that I wouldn't have to diet. And I don't! I eat whatever I want as long as I can, my theory is that I was eating a TON of food, now since my portions are so much smaller, I eat only what I want, that I can get down. It is a learning process, as far as what you can get down, and what you can't...Ex. I cannot eat bread, french fries, etc, but boy I can eat Icecream! Eventually it just becomes second nature, you just have to figure out what works for you. I am probably the worst lapband patient, I don't really exercise regularly my dinner is often Tomato Soup and icecream... But I feel great, and look great, and am in a size 12 for the first time in my life... BUT I also have mine pretty tight, so again... It is a learning process that only you can figure out... I think I rambled... But no, I wouldn't say it is hard work like Weight Watchers or Slim Fast or something like that... Just learning what you can eat and what you can't

Hmmm, how much "work?" Cue Maynard G. Krebs: "WORK?!"

I think on of the reason so many people are able to be successful with losing weight with the band is that it is a lifestyle change, not simply a diet.

I think, other than head hunger, body hunger is pretty much taken care of with the band. YES! you will still get hungry, so don't think you will never be hungry again. You will be hungry because you will have gone for hours without even thinking about eating, not because you are forcing yourself to not eat.

Hope that made sense.

Some people don't have to excersize, and they will still lose weight, but theoritecially for the maximum effect, you must get up and moving if you can. Excersize doesn't have to be something boring, it can be learning new dance moves, going ballroom or salsa dancing, or my favorite, bellydancing. It can be taking up crewing (rowing) or rollerskating, or ultimate frizbee.

I have asked the same question - but not out loud. Thanks for posting and responding. It's also something my family and friends (those who I've told anyway) have brought up, and this offers me some answers.

WOW! You guys are so "on the ball" with responses!! Thanks so much!

Okay, you've given me hope! Honestly, I felt "lame" for asking... like, how lazy am I that I'm questioning having to "work"?

But, if I had any willpower left, I wouldn't be considering altering my body, risking gallbladder trouble and future autoimmune disorder possibilites. If, like I've seen so many people do, I could exercise for more than 6 months, and ALWAYS win the head hunger battle, and NEVER EVER over indulge, I wouldn't be doing this.

So, thanks for the answers. I really could use the help that the band will offer. I call it my "internal control" because it won't let me overeat no matter how much I want to. There will be immediate and swift consequences when I give in, and I need those. Instead of the pounds that slowly creep on, how about some major pain? Now that's a reason not to overeat. Hopefully I won't be a slow learner! :)

lizziegrace,

I think you should know that the typical bandster cannot eat ice cream and lose 75 pounds in 5 months! I'm not sure what 'Banded1/05' is doing that the weight is just LEAPING off, but I know for most of us there is a lot of work involved.

The difference for me is that I can no longer mindlessly eat. It's hard to become food-hypnotized when you have to carefully, thoughtfully, chew each bite to oblivion or suffer a painful, burning-golfball-in-the-chest sensation, and believe me, it takes only one six hour slime and heave session to become very, very aware that care must be taken when eating (at least it does for me!).

In addition to being more careful about how you eat, you become far more aware of WHAT you're eating. It was easy to inhale a hamburger and fries but when bread and fries are no longer an option, you must find alternatives - and while you're looking, you might as well find options that are also better choices.

Another thing that has changed for me is my perception of what tastes good and is worth eating vs. what tastes OK and is not worth the calories wasted. With a reduced capacity, if a food isn't particularly tasty, I don't waste the space or calories on it - I find something thats good and good for me. I'm suprised again and again that food I used to just eat because it was easy (fast food for the most part) doesn't even taste good. How did I not see that before?

I've never been a happy exerciser. I don't enjoy it and frankly find it boring as hell. However, when you see a change in your weight, which you can definitely attribute to an increase in activity, you begin to be inspired to see just how much of a difference you can make through more exercise. At least this has been my experience so far.

I've only been banded for three months and there have been several conversations here on LBT about new bandsters being in a honeymoon phase. Even if that's the case, I expect this honeymoon to last a long, long time because my weight loss will be ongoing. It's easier to keep trying when your efforts are being rewarded.

In the past, the first time I went on hiatus from my diet (vacations and holidays come to mind), the diet was generally over. With a band, you really can't walk away from your diet. Everywhere you go, there it is! It's true, you can cheat the band and sabotage your weight loss, but even bad choices are somewhat mitigated by the reduction in capacity and the amount of diet-damage you do is limited. What IS required of you, is that you make a conscious decision to return to your newly learned, good eating habits - AND THAT IS WHERE THE WORK COMES IN.

Some people do well with a band and some people do not. If you're a grazer or a sweet eater, the band may not be a good idea for you. If you're a constant over-eater but have an open mind about making better choices in food, and a willingness to make the changes, the band is a good option.

If you really don't want to have to make choices on your own about they quality of your food, the lap band may not be your best choice.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explore my own experiences and perspective on this subject. I don't know if it helped you or not but it's been a good affirmation for me! lol Thanks. Good luck on your weight loss journey, no matter what path you choose.

Most of us have been working our butt off for years even decades and getting absolutely nowhere, or worse, even bigger. It seems like the more energy I focused on getting healthy the bigger my eventual failure.

With the band, all the basics are covered. The crazy cravings, insane hunger, and fear of failure are left out of the equation. It is like instead of running the whole marathon every morning, you get to skip ahead to the last leg. How cool is that?

It's a great question lizziegrace.

I must admit I feel the same way.

If I had willpower would I be 275lbs (125kg) and if I had willpower would I be having surgery to have a band placed around my stomach??

I look at the lapband as my last resort.

I am getting this surgery because I NEED help to stop me from shoveling vast amounts of food into my mouth.

I can't do it myself ...... I may be "lazy" too but I am soooo TIRED of the struggle I've had with my weight that after a lifetime of dieting I am giving myself permission to finally be "lazy" and have surgery.

I think you should know that the typical bandster cannot eat ice cream and lose 75 pounds in 5 months! I'm not sure what 'Banded1/05' is doing that the weight is just LEAPING off, but I know for most of us there is a lot of work involved.

Donna, I think you're misreading here. Banded 1/05 has been banded for a year and 5 months, not just 5 months. Much more realistic, even with ice cream involved.

lizziegrace, what I absolutely LOVE about the band is that when I'm in a position where pre-band I would have really packed on the pounds, post-band I just don't! I've been on two cruises since banded and I ate whatever/whenever I wanted (meaning, of course, that I ate the foods I that agreed with my band in limited amounts) and -- here's the best part -- within 2 days of being home I was right back where I started on the scale! Pre-band, I could easily have gained a solid 5 or more pounds on a cruise that wouldn't come off that easily!

I figure if I hadn't been on two cruises since being banded, I'd probably be about 5-10 lbs lower than I am. I'm bummed that I'm not 5-10 lbs lower RIGHT NOW, but I'm totally thrilled that the scale moves in only one direction. I know I'll get there.

I am not a perfect bandster by any means. I eat more carbs and sugars than I should. So when I'm not being a great bandster, I only lose a little bit of weight. When I am being great, I lose a decent amount. But I don't gain! Woo Hoo!

The other thing is, of course, as you lose weight you are more excited to lose more and faster and then you WANT to exercise. I am quite lazy and I hate exercise, but tomorrow I'm going out and buying an elliptical. Just over 20 lbs down I feel more comfortable being active and I WANT to lose faster so I'm willing to do some mild activity to get there.

I was concerned with all of the "eat around the band", "pouch packing", "drinking your calories" issues that everyone warned about pre-band, but they're just not issues for me. When I'm full, I'm full. That's it. It doesn't matter if I filled up on salad and a steak is on the way. It won't go down. So as long as I'm eating food rather than JUNK (I still eat some junk) -- i.e. eating something like chicken or Pasta or salad or whatever for dinner rather than choosing a chocolate bar for dinner -- I lose weight.

OK, this is officially a novel, so I'll stop now :)

If you do not change your behavior, the band does not change it for you. This has been my minimal experience. My first month postoperative I ate chocolate and cheeze. I had the same cravings I did preoperative. Of course, the foods I was eating was creating those cravings, but that is a whole 'nother discussion.

The band has been much more work than I anticipated. Like everything in life, it is an individual thing, but it is not a miracle cure. I am grateful to be banded and have had a great recovery from surgery.

I liken it to swinging when you're a child. You know how difficult it is to "get going" and then an adult comes by and gives you a big push? Well, the band is like having that big push...just be sure you are ready to maintain the work needed to soar high. Which you probably will, it just happens for different people in different time frames.

Best wishes to you!

Kelli

Well I'll be honest and say that it fairly leaped off me for the first 3 months or so with no effort on my part, yes, I did the liquids and mushies and stuck to the rules to the nth degree but that was easy because I never felt like eating. My appetite has normalised a bit now, but its nowehre near the level it was, so I have to use a bit of willpowr to keep on the straight and narrow but nowhere near as much as I would have had to use before.

I thik as mentioned above, its really true that the benefit of the band is keeping you going after the easy coast has finished. I know for sure if I ran five times a week and watched what I ate and lost a measly kilograme and a half per month like I"m doing now I'd give up in disgust. But now because I can see that over 12 months, that adds up to ALL my remaining excess weight, it doesnt seem so futile and ridiculous to keep going. I dont feel as if I"ll never get there, I think its a huge mental tool as well as a physical one. And I'm fairly sure as long as I keep my band I will never be able to eat like I did before, this time I know that each kilogram I struggle for is gone for good.

I was a hopeless dieter before. I dont know how I wasnt much fatter than I was, but at the rate it was going on it wouldnt have been long before I was morbidly obese.

I'm a resistant bandster now. I refuse to be filled to anywhere near the level most people talk about and I steadfastly refuse to focus on Protein first as well. I am determined to eat a "normal" diet where nothing is forbidden. You do have those options. It's amazing how you dont overeat when you can have any old thing any old time and know that over the long haul it doesnt make a difference here or there.

I was the worst dieter ever. I would work hard for a month or so and then if I didn't see anything changing I would throw caution to the wind and eat even more.

I'm 10 weeks out from being banded and absolutely everything has changed. First of all the weight fell of at first. I was lucky in that, like some others, I just didn't feel hungry. Couldn't get my head around that but my body seemed happy enough. I still can't always belive how full I can feel with so seemingly little food!!!:)

Then I started walking...I HATE(D) walking! My back hurt, I was out of breath but I was trying...and still the weight came off.

I do have choices to make now and for the first time in my whole life I'm thinking about them and making good ones. I got a treadmill and I like walking on it (OK it only came today LOL but I still liked it).

Thanks to people here I'm more motivated and encouraged than ever before and it helps all the more because they really understand what I'm going through and what it is I want to achieve.

So yeah I have to do some work now..physical and mental but you know what...I'm really happy to do it!

There are some rules for band life that will find discussed on this site over and over. If you follow or nearly follow them you will do fine. (disclaimer...my opinions from my experience and research...not meant to insult anyone who is doing fine without observing these rules)

I don't know of a single doctor who will argue the first one...

once you are healed, the band is made to restrict solid food not liquids or soft highly processed food. So if you choose Soups, shakes, protien drinks, smoothies, mashed potatoes etc. for the majority of your meals, the band won't do as much for you. Even healthy liquids have a lot of calories that add up over the day and sneak right past that band.

second...at each meal you should eat solid protien first then your high Fiber veggies and then if you aren't feeling satisfied yet have a few bites of starchier foods or sweets if you like. This means for most meals, no salad or Soup first, they go through your band much faster and easier than the meat so eat it first. The more solid the food, the more satisfied you will feel and the longer it takes to move out of your pouch so the longer you feel full.

third....chew your food very very well and take small bite especially true since yu need to be eating solid protien which will be more difficult to eat than soft stuff but it is important to get as much solid food as possible.

and

fourth...(although there are probably others that could be mentioned) no liquids or drinking of and sort during or for at least 45 mins. (this time will vary from doctor to doctor..some say 30 min. some say one hour, I split the difference LOL). Drinking will do one of two things, it will depending on what you ate, either flush the food down much faster and cause you to be able to eat more than you should or it can cause the food to come back up not good.

So really the work is in learning some new eating habits. I rarely feel hungry like I used to. I rarely have the desire to snack like I used to and I have found that eating in the car on the run doesn't work so that temptation was eliminated for me. I was a little worried about the work required also, but the band is a steady reminder like a little jiminy cricket telling you what to do, LOL. The one thing I am now struggling with is...excerscie! once you start getting closer to goal, it will become harder to lose..the whole burns less calories to walk across the room and such thing, so it becomes much more importanat to excersice. this for me has been the first real willpower thin. However this would be the case with any WLS. the lower the BMI, the slower the loss so you have to help it out by burning more calories.

You will do fine! Best of luck,

Personally I think it depends on the person.

I realized that at 300lbs the chances of me dying from an obesity related condition was greater than me being able to lose 150lbs or so and KEEP it off. GB was too drastic for me that's why I chose the band.

I've been banded since last August. I've gone from 297 to 191 (106lbs in 10 months), I've lost 16lbs this month. I do have quite a bit more energy now, but I have never been a serious dieter, I believe that my endocrine system and metabolism was never compromised by fad diets and that's one of the reasons the weight is falling off me. I also have a very stressful and physical new job that I started 3 months ago, I am constantly walking (if not running) around for 8 hours a day. I also have been very carefully planning my fills, I realize when I am able to eat too much and get in for a fill ASAP. I don't eat until I am full as I hate that feeling with the band, I stop when I am no longer hungry, but not in pain or discomfortable. And yes, I do drink full blown fountain Coke and have my occasional ice cream sundae and sweets, I am by no means deprived. :)

Everyone has their own experience with the band. I've met people who have been banded 2 years and only lost 30lbs, so it depends on you and how much you put into getting your fills, eating smaller portions and getting up and moving.

Best of luck to ya!