Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Monday-Just broke Pre-Op diet :(

Last night between the stress and pressure i am under and the unbearable hunger i have been having, i couldn't fall asleep after drinking a Protein shake and eating Jello, and i just broke down and ate a big bowl of oatmeal. I dont know what to do. I have surgery Monday. I know Sunday and Sunday night i will have no problem because i will be in airports and on airplanes all day Sunday and then in the hotel room Sunday night and have no food, so i'll be sipping on Water and a Protein Shake Sunday. But getting through till then with NO solids at all is literally impossible for me. I don't know how to handle this and certainly don't want to get there and them not be able to perform surgery on me.

I drank a bottle of magnesium citrate this morning, a saline laxative. Basically everything in my lower intestines should move right through me, which should help pull what is in my stomach down. Any suggestions? I just need to make it to the operating table!!

Last night between the stress and pressure i am under and the unbearable hunger i have been having, i couldn't fall asleep after drinking a Protein shake and eating Jello, and i just broke down and ate a big bowl of oatmeal. I dont know what to do. I have surgery Monday. I know Sunday and Sunday night i will have no problem because i will be in airports and on airplanes all day Sunday and then in the hotel room Sunday night and have no food, so i'll be sipping on Water and a Protein Shake Sunday. But getting through till then with NO solids at all is literally impossible for me. I don't know how to handle this and certainly don't want to get there and them not be able to perform surgery on me.

I drank a bottle of magnesium citrate this morning, a saline laxative. Basically everything in my lower intestines should move right through me, which should help pull what is in my stomach down. Any suggestions? I just need to make it to the operating table!!

Calm down, Jillian. One bowl of oatmeal isn't going to kill you! :wink0:You're still doing great and you have a plan to get through the rest of the weekend. There are many people who are allowed to have a big meal the day before surgery and they do fine. So, that bowl of oatmeal will be long gone by the time your laxative is done with you. We're all excited for you and know that you'll do fine on Monday. Try reading or doing something that will help you feel at peace tonight (as much as that's possible before surgery).

I would have gone crazy on a pre-op diet, so I congratulate anyone who makes it thru!

You could have eaten something much worse than oatmeal : ) Get thru the next couple of days as best as you can. Don't drive yourself crazy. After surgery, it will be much easier to stay on track.

For safety's sake, don't eat after 11pm or midnight, whatever your directions are for the night before surgery. That is important not to mess with : )

Good luck with your travels, surgery and recovery! It is amazing!!

:001_tt2:I am five days post op. I came to Monterray Mexico to have surgery under Dr. Rumbaut. I had a 7 day clear liquid diet to follow. I started this diet weighing 366 lbs. And I am/was/still am/dammit a smoker. I started the diet with a vengence, determined to kick butt and get through these short little seven days of inconvenience. Sounds easy in the scheme of things doesnt it? RIGHT! So Wednesday, thurs, friday, I did great! Was very hungry but the pains were getting easier to endure. Then came the day of the flight...Saturday which was still five days pre op. I got to the airport and started having some anxiety. Did not even make it out of my own city before downing a sandwich. Then got to Mexico and as it turns out they have mucho deliscious food here. So I ate all Saturday night, Sunday, and Monday morning to the point of needing my butt kicked. Started back on liquids after fabulous tamales Monday morning and stayed that way till my pre op appt Teusday. I told the doctor that I had failed miserably, was still smoking, and was worried that he would not do the surgery. He said all of my pre ops looked good and that he did not see any problems. Now this is in Mexico, cash pay, so I dont know about your doctor. I would follow pre op diet to the tee if I were you because the first thing my doctor said to my family after coming out of my surgery was that my liver showed the cheating I had done and while there were no complications, I should have followed my pre op diet better. So dont stress over oatmeal. Start stressing when you are sitting there eating 7 tacos in Mexico smoking cigarrettes drinking dirty martinis like I was. Stupid stupid me....But I made it through ok.

Iwat80 ~ congrats on your surgery! You made me laugh - we are all so similiar. Its like, uh, we are the way we are because we can't control our food and now you are telling us to control our food? ? And in a few short days we can't have any of our favs?? ya right! LOL

Good for you tho for coming clean to your doctor. That way he could make a schedule adjustment if needed.

There are definitely times, due to medical issues, that the pre-op diet seems to be more important. I think most of the time tho, drs know that we aren't going to be perfect, so they might tell us 7 days hoping to get 4 or 5 : )

good luck to both of you!

What does this mean...."But getting through till then with NO solids at all is literally impossible for me."

Impossible how?

You'll be okay. I licked a chip today. he he he he

now you had me in hysterics...I think i will join you. hahahaha