Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I got sleeved on Wednesday, so far, so good. I guess i woke up in recovery in a lot of pain, but I don't remember it. Stayed overnight in the hospital, had to drink a HORRIBLE drink to test for leaking, and FINALLY got to drink some Water and broth. First meal was not appealing. Had about 2 oz of broth and Jello, and a popsicle. Ate 1/2 the broth. Next meal was better, ate most of it. Walked a bunch at the hospital.

Got home last night. The gas pains are killing me!! I walked almost all the way around the block, but didn't quite make it. The heartburn is killing me, and my tummy is making all sorts of weird growing sounds! I feel like i'm hungry and full at the same time!! And I must be retaining fluids or something, because I am back up to my pre-op weight :)

Also, anyone suffer from painful hiccups? I can't get rid of them, and they are pretty painful!!

Yeah, I've had some bouts of hiccups that were unpleasant. I think it's some kind of reaction by the nerve clusters in the stomach area. Some sleevers like my girlfriend get a single hiccup when they're full.

I gained 10 lbs of Water weight in the hospital post op from Fluid shift. Don't worry this too shall pass and the weight will fall back off. Gas X strips were my friend for the first week post op. LOVE those things! Good luck on your new journey.

I had my sleeve on Tuesday and know what you mean about that gross stuff to test for leaks. Mine came right back up after the test. My stomach makes all the gurgly sounds too and I am living on chewable Gas X. I'll swear by walking because it really helps with the gas also. Hang in there!

Everything you said sounds perfectly normal.

The gas will go away....just keep walking!

Lots of people suggest using a heating pad too.

I had really bad heartburn the two days after surgery.

I stopped drinking crystal light and switched to regular Water for a bit and I didn't lay down flat...I stayed and slept in my husband's recliner for a few nights.

And I came home weighing 13 lbs more than I did when I went in! By about day 5 or so it was all gone plus some real pounds too...lol

Congrats on getting past the surgery and onto the other side!

Wow! I am also two days out...sleeved at 11am on Wednesday...YAY ME! And I haven't been experiencing the things you girls are talking about, except for weighing more post-op than pre-op (that was depressing!)

My surgeon did a leak test before I even left the operating room. I have some gas, but it is tolerable as long as I get up every hour or so and walk around. I did have to stay two nights, which I am attributing to the fact that I am also an insulin-dependent diabetic. I did have some problems with the narcotic pain killers that were pumped though my IV and keeping my blood pressure up. This kept me from getting up and walking the first night.

My meds after surgery are disolvable Priolosec to help with any acid and a liquid form of Vicodin. As long as I keep on schedule, the pain is very managable.

I was encourage to start the Popsicle, broth, Jello, Fluid, etc diet early, and have tolerated every thing very well. I have yet to feel hunger. My hubby just made dinner for himself and the kids, and I had some chicken broth and SF Jell-o and am completely satisfied. Never thought I would be able to say that!

I haven't experienced hiccups yet, and from the sounds of it I hope I don't. If I hear of anyways to get rid of them, I will be sure to pass it along.

Good Luck All!!

Goodlife brings up some excellent points......i get hiccups now, but they go away quickly. I weighed 5lbs more when I checked out of the hospital, than when I checked in. You are fine, and doing the right things. Are you taking a PPI? That really helps, like Prilosec or nexium. I was luckily that I didnt have the gas problems that many have initially...but they will go away. You will feel much better everyday. Promise. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Try a heating pad for gas pains..it was my best friend for two weeks! I also have a single hiccup after I eat..it's my warning bell..put the fork down!

Try a heating pad for gas pains..it was my best friend for two weeks! I also have a single hiccup after I eat..it's my warning bell..put the fork down!

Oh yeah, I second the heating pad idea. It's been better than the narcotics for me for minor pain! I swear there's a psycho-somatic component too; sometimes I would feel better just knowing the heating pad was on me, even if it wasn't warmed up yet!

I have a sure-fire way to stop the hiccups. No kidding. Works EVERY time. Let's see if I can explain how to do it.

Put Water in a small drinking cup. Lean over at the waist and place your lips to the far edge of the cup. Keep bent over and take several small sips of the Water.

Something about drinking upside down like that stops my hiccups in their tracks. Tell me if it works for anyone else.

Thank you to all of you.....I am trying to understand these feelings you are having and symptoms you are experiencing. I am the mother of a mildly mentally disabled 18 year old young man. He has been through extensive therapy and whatever else they could think of. It has been a year since the process began, but they found him to be capable of dealing with the change of eating habits. He had surgery on May 10th. This is the 5th day since surgery. I need to know if he is hungry..or deprived . He tells me he is hungry...but then he eats very little...5 or6 spoons of Soup. He says he craves something sweet. We bought every flavor of every sugar free drink in the store, I did discover shaved ice today. He loved it! The Protein Drinks are getting old to him. I am afraid he is answering my questions the way the way he thinks I want to hear........Does this phase truly have to be 2 entire weeks. I am not sure he can eat and drink this day in and day out. Am I over reacting...is he just confused...I read where the head must catch up to the stomach....H es had no problems......thank goodness. He walks...goes places already...does not complain of any pain just soreness. He seems a little more tired than normally. he has had a bowel movement daily since Wednesday. I almost feel like I should ask for him to move to the soft "real food" in phase 2. Maybe his recovery is different due to his young age. Tell me what your bellies feel like before and after you drink the Protein Drink or eat the soup? I just need reassurance........by the way he was 458b/f surgery and on Thursday...he had lost 16 pounds. when he did the pre op diet, it was a modified version ....he ate one meal a day along with the Protein Shakes throughout the day.

Today he was in a drug store with me and went down an aisle that had candy and Snacks on it. I saw him look at it and I asked if it was hard for him to see it and he said yes. How can I help him best?

I have a sure-fire way to stop the hiccups. No kidding. Works EVERY time. Let's see if I can explain how to do it.

Put Water in a small drinking cup. Lean over at the waist and place your lips to the far edge of the cup. Keep bent over and take several small sips of the Water.

Something about drinking upside down like that stops my hiccups in their tracks. Tell me if it works for anyone else.

Breezy - I swear by this one all the time, and make friends use it too.... and it works for them.

I think it stretches the muscle which causes the hiccups, thus stopping it convulsing and stopping the hiccups.

Kathy

Hi nan...I'm sorry I don't have any real advice for you...I'm too new to be of much help but I do wish your son and yourself all the best and I admire you for being such a caring and dedicated mom.

I would say that I would not advance his diet too quickly...his stomach needs time to heal on the inside and it's probably still quite swollen.

If he's hungry perhaps you can give him some sugar free Jello or popsicles to "tide him over". It's hard to say I guess whether he is truly hungry or experiencing "head hunger" or whether it's just leftover habits of eating often...the routine of spoon to mouth or what not.

Good luck to both of you!

I too was sleeved on the 12th and spent two days in the hospital. I was not given anything yucky to drink but as someone else stated that might have been done before I left the table. While I was in the hospital I was miserable and only drank Water. The Jello, crystal lite (SO BAD) and broth were all a no go. Not that I couldnt just that I didnt want to, which is kind of hard to describe. My hospital roomate who had gotten the Rou just a few hours after my surgery seemed to be in less pain which really got my goat but I am guessing it might be due to my revision of the band??? Who knows!

I was really cranky pretty much the whole stay and the first night was a freaking nightmare thanks to the equipment in our room continuously malfunctioning. Her iv, My iv, someone was occluded, beeps, whistles, horns, flashing lights and 12 hours later I had gotten almost no sleep and I had some cheery newly shifted nurse standing over me like, well hun are you gonna walk????? LOL, I actually said that I would gladly walk if I would be granted a nap. (I said I was Cranky) She brought in some liquid Vicoden and a shot of hepperin and some nexium stuff they shot in my IV. FYI when they give you the shots of blood thinner and say do not rub or itch the site, THEY ARENT FOOLIN. I never even touched where they injected me in my belly and I have 6 tidy black and blues scattered around my belly around my already annoyed insicion spots.

So post nap I still wasnt hungry but I did want to get up and walk around and it did help. I stepped on the scale this morning since it was 520 and I couldnt sleep. I weighed 311 the day before my surgery and this morning I weigh 308. Although I know its the Water weight and probably every drop of IV SODIUM enhanced Fluid, I finally am feeling like this was a good decision. I knew that it was but there is something in the back of your mind when you are in bad shape that questions your intention and well SANITY..LOL Im glad I did this sugery and I look forward to every new step. I think I mentioned this in my post op post but I now have a 34 f for those of you who care.

Oh and SHASTA, those empty burp things are the most painful things ever. Its like an implosion in your body with no way for the air to escape. Those have lessend thank goodness.. Feel better xoxoxooxo