Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soda's ???????????????!!!!!!!

I've always found any kind of soda pop makes me dehydrated. I gave up my pop addiction many years ago, so I can certainly understand the 'need' for pop :)

I also took the stance of:

If it contains a list of ingredients as long as your family tree, and you can't identify or pronounce most of 'em... it probably doesn't belong in your guts.

Caffeine is a diuretic. So it effects how much Water you drink and it's effects. That is why my dietician said no caffeine. But since I work such long hours, there is no way I'm dumping my caffeine. :) I just drink more water and it doesn't seem to effect me one way or another. :)

I used to drink caffeine free, diet soda regularly. It didn't occur to me until just now that I haven't had any in over a month! I quit cold turkey and don't even miss it. I thought it would be much more difficult. But maybe it's because my diet coke didn't have caffeine in it.

My nutritionist said no soda but she didn't sasy no caffeine. However, she did say that the minimum 64 oz of fluids I take in each day must be Water or some other low calorie, low suger, non-caffeinated, non-fizzy beverage.

I don't think you have to ban caffeine, but you should limit your intake and be aware of how much of it is in whatever you are drinking. Tea doesn't have nearly as much caffeine as coffee, so drinking tea won't have as big of an impact on you.

<CENTER><!-- VC active --><!-- FASTCLICK.COM 468x60 Banner v1.4 for wilstar.com --><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--var i=j=p=t=u=x=z=dc='';var id=f=0;var f=Math.floor(Math.random()*7777);id=24869; dc=document;u='ht'+'tp://media.fastclick.net/w'; x='/get.media?t=s';z=' width=468 height=60 border=0 ';t=z+'marginheight=0 marginwidth=';i=u+x+'&sid='+id+'&m=1&tp=1&f=b&v=1.4&c='+f+'&r='+escape(dc.referrer);u='';dc.writeln('<ifr'+'ame src="'+i+'&d=f"'+t+'0 hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=0 scrolling=no>');if(navigator.appName.indexOf('Mic')<=0){dc.writeln(u+'www.lapbandtalk.com');}dc.writeln('</iframe>'); // --></SCRIPT><IFRAME style="WIDTH: 59px; HEIGHT: 5px" border=0 marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?t=s&sid=24869&m=1&tp=1&f=b&v=1.4&c=7207&r=http%3A//www.ask.com/web%3Fq%3Dwhich+has+more+caffeine+coffee+or+tea%26qsrc%3D0%26o%3D312&d=f" frameBorder=0 width=468 scrolling=no height=60>web%3Fq%3Dwhich+has+more+caffeine+coffee+or+tea%26qsrc%3D0%26o%3D312&d=n</IFRAME><NOSCRIPT>get.media?sid=24869&m=1&tp=1&d=s&c=1&f=b&v=1.4</NOSCRIPT><!-- FASTCLICK.COM 468x60 Banner v1.4 for wilstar.com --><!-- vc active -->

</CENTER>Caffeine Content Of Popular drinks

Soft Drinks

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=450 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>12-ounce beverage</TD><TD>milligrams</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Red Bull (8.2 oz) </TD><TD>80.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jolt </TD><TD>71.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pepsi One</TD><TD>55.5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mountain Dew </TD><TD>55.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mountain Dew Code Red </TD><TD>55.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Mountain Dew </TD><TD>55.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Kick Citrus </TD><TD>54.0 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Mellow Yellow </TD><TD>52.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Surge </TD><TD>51.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tab </TD><TD>46.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Coke </TD><TD>45.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Coke with Lemon </TD><TD>45.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Coke with Lime </TD><TD>45.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet vanilla Coke </TD><TD>45.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Shasta Cola </TD><TD>44.4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Shasta Cherry Cola </TD><TD>44.4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Shasta Diet Cola </TD><TD>44.4</TD></TR><TR><TD>RC Cola </TD><TD>43.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet RC </TD><TD>43.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Dr. Pepper </TD><TD>41.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Dr. Pepper </TD><TD>41.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Sunkist Orange </TD><TD>41.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mr. Pibb </TD><TD>40.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>sugar-free Mr. Pibb </TD><TD>40.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Red Flash </TD><TD>40.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sunkist Orange</TD><TD>40.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Slim-Fast Cappuccino Delight shake </TD><TD>40.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ruby Red </TD><TD>39.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Storm</TD><TD>38.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Big Red</TD><TD>38.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pepsi-Cola </TD><TD>37.5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pepsi Twist </TD><TD>37.5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Pepsi </TD><TD>36.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Wild Cherry Pepsi </TD><TD>38.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi </TD><TD>36.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Pepsi Twist </TD><TD>36.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Aspen </TD><TD>36.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Coca-Cola Classic </TD><TD>34.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Coke C2 </TD><TD>34.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cherry Coke </TD><TD>34.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lemon Coke </TD><TD>34.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Vanilla Coke </TD><TD>34.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Cherry Coke </TD><TD>34.0 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Snapple Flavored Teas (Reg. or Diet) </TD><TD>31.5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Canada Dry Cola </TD><TD>30.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>A&W Creme Soda </TD><TD>29.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Nestea Sweet Iced Tea</TD><TD>26.5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Nestea Unsweetened Iced Tea</TD><TD>26.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Barq's Root Beer </TD><TD>23.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>A&W Diet Creme Soda</TD><TD>22.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Slim-Fast chocolate Flavors </TD><TD>20.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Snapple Sweet Tea</TD><TD>12.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lipton Brisk, All Varieties</TD><TD>9</TD></TR><TR><TD>Canada Dry Diet Cola </TD><TD>1.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Rite Cola</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sprite</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>7-Up </TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mug Root Beer</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet Barq's Root Beer</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sundrop Orange</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Minute Maid Orange</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>A&W Root Beer</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Slice</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sierra Mist</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fresca</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Other beverages

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=450 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>8-ounce Beverage</TD><TD>milligrams</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>coffee, Drip </TD><TD>115-175 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Coffee, Brewed </TD><TD>80-135</TD></TR><TR><TD>Coffee, Espresso (2 ounces)</TD><TD>100</TD></TR><TR><TD>Coffee, Instant </TD><TD>65-100</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tea, iced </TD><TD>47</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tea, brewed, imported brands (avg.)</TD><TD>60</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tea, brewed, U.S. brands (avg.)</TD><TD>40</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tea, instant </TD><TD>30</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tea, green </TD><TD>15</TD></TR><TR><TD>Hot cocoa</TD><TD>14</TD></TR><TR><TD>Coffee, Decaf, brewed </TD><TD>3-4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Coffee, Decaf, instant </TD><TD>2-3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER><CENTER>SOURCES: National Soft Drink Association, US food and Drug Administration, Bunker and McWilliams, Pepsi, Slim-Fast.

</CENTER>

<HR align=center width="75%" SIZE=3>

<CENTER> </CENTER>

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

THANK YOU JACK!!!!! LOL I had asked this question on another site with no awnsers.... But I must say its a rather depressing thought... I also did a report on Soda and I switched to Diet, its been about 3 years now....So TODAY (auuuuggggggggggggggg) will be The day of no more Diet Pepsi or Dr. Pepper....omg I think my body just lurched in a panic attack....lol

Now, as if I wasn't depressed after finding out yesturday I have Diabetes, I think I will crawl back to bed and mourn the loss of a very dear friend, carbonation......WAAAAAAAAAAA

My doctor told me to drink a cup of coffee if I got a headache, so caffiene is in for me. Diet soda is 'as tolerated'. I don't drink regular soda, but I've had a sip of my fiance's every now and then and it's just grody!

My surgeon does not require a caffeine state but he's dead set against carbonated drinks. Because I have end stage arthritis in my knee and require an eventual joint replacement, I was allowed to stay on Aleve twice a day as long as a take Nexium. I do this and have NO problems.

Soda and any other fizzy drinks will make your stoma (the upper part of your stomach, above the band) expand dangerously and it can affect your band. If you really must drink it, leave it open for a few hours or just use a spoon to get those bubbles out.

Caffeine can too be agressive for your stoma and band and should be avoided at least during the first month afetr being banded. Give some time for your stomach to heal and take it slowly.

niki

Actually, the stoma is the opening between your surgically created pouch and your natural stomach. Stoma is the Greek word for "mouth" or "opening".

My doctor says caffeine is okay, but he is very anti-carbonation.

Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but caffine is a diuretic which causes dehydration. Because of the extreme reduction of intake abilities after surgery, we are told to avoid caffine because we will already be struggling to stay hydrated.

As for the soda. In addition to what's already been suggested.. Carbonation can get trapped in the lower portion of the stomach and be difficult to get back up through the band in the form of a pressure releasing burp, and therefore can be quite uncomfortable.

Woops.. I should have read page two before posting. JustDuckie already addressed this. :nervous

Before my surgery I didn't think soda was something I would EVER be able to give up. Now, I haven't had not even one since my band and I do not even miss it.

I was told by my doctor that the carbonation can expand the stomach pouch- why would I want to do that after all if this?

My doc said no soda, but coffee is a staple in my diet. Actually right after surgery thats the one thing I could have with skim milk.

OK, ok. I still drink diet soda. I don't have any problems with it. I also still drink with meals, but only enough to clear my mouth. And then it is not carbonated. Drinking carbonation while eating is a terrible mistake! The food is trying to go down and the gas is trying to come up. What a battle!