Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there everyone. I decided it was just about time that I quit lurking and spoke up! My name is Lori and I am 24 years old. I live in the north Dallas area (Garland, to those familiar) but I go to school in central TX (San Marcos).

I was planning on waiting to post here until after I had my consultation this Thursday, but I just got tired of waiting! I am going to be seeing Dr. Nick Nicholson in Plano this Thursday and I am so very excited. I am a self paying patient and I am basically ready to schedule the surgery ASAP so that I have the whole summer to try and lose and get acclimated before I head back to school in the fall.

I can't wait to be a new person. I can't wait to look forward to REAL exercise. I can't wait to go to the river with my friends and feel comfortable. I can't wait to hike through the hill country and take beautiful photos of places I've never been able to climb before. I am so excited for this opportunity.

So...the nitty gritty...I weigh around 283 right now, hopefully will lose a decent amount in the pre-op diet. I would LOVE to end up in the 145-150 range, but of course I wouldn't mind weighing less :001_tongue:. My BMI is almost 54, yikes, it was pretty shocking when I saw that. I'm only 5'1" so I really think I COULD get down to a healthy 125-130 eventually, but I would be ecstatic if I stayed around a healthy 150 forever.

I am glad I decided to do this at my age. I've been a fat kid my entire life so I think I damn well deserve this! I want to be able to live out the rest of my 20's like any other "normal" 20-something.

Anywho, I just wanted to introduce myself and possibly get to know some of you great people that I have been cyber stalking on this great forum! You all seem so wonderful and supportive.

Cheers to a fresh start!

Lori

p.s.- I'm a vegetarian and would be very interested in meeting other sleevers that are as well for tips and recipe sharing down the line.

Hi Lori

Welcome! I'm pretty new here too although got sleeved last week - like you self pay so could schedule it to suit me.

I'm UK based - and though there aren't too many of us Brits on the forum the principles of what we're all trying to do are the same the world over!

I need to lose about 150lbs in total - which would get me down to a healthy 140lbs, so it's going to be a bit of a journey, and I'm a lot older than you (47) so I think my loss will be slower.

Good luck and keep us all up to date on your date, pre-op routine etc.

Take care

Lyn

Best of luck Lori. Being a vegatarian is going to be a little more challenging for you since you will need to get 60-70 grams of Protein in each day. You can do that with Protein Drinks. Where others can eventually move on and not have to supplement with protein drinks, you will most likely have to take them the rest of your life, unless your will to add fish or chicken to your diet. The key to losing so much weight, is that for the first month you are drinking liquids (including protein) and low carbs. This throws your body into Ketosis, which makes your body use stored fat for energy instead of carbs and sugar. Many here can lose 20-35 lbs in one month, if they follow the instructions their doctors give them. Then weight still comes off, but a little slower.......some people lose 100 lbs in six to nine months, but they really work hard to make that happen. No cheating. No sugar, low carbs, etc. You have many people here who can answer any and all of your questions. Here's to great losing.....

Hi Lori! I also live in your area and I am using Dr. Nick. He is great and you will really like him. My surgery is set for May 25th. If you are in he area Wednesday night, you need to go to the support group around 6. You will find a great atmosphere of many in your same shoes or were there at one time. Let me know if you need any info.

Hi Lori!

I am going to be up your way this weekend as my niece is graduating from UNT! My brother went to Texas State and we spend a lot of time in the area since my parents live in Seguin.

Congratulations on making the decision to do this as a young age. I sure with this was available in my 20s. I know you are going to do great. I have since a lot of complementary posts about your doctor. I considered using him myself, but ended up choosing on closer to my area.

Hey Lori, and welcome. How very exciting for you to have your consult scheduled and on your way to a healthier, more fulfilling life.

We have close to the same pre-op stats, and I was able to get down to a normal, healthy weight in less than a year. So, I know you can do it too. I'm originally from Texas, west of Fort Worth for my childhood, and as an adult moved to Bedford, and I miss it so much.

Best wishes on your consult, and keep us posted on your progress.

There's a couple of threads for recipes for seitan and tempeh as a Protein option. Just type seitan into the search box at the top, and it'll bring up the threads.

Welcome! I am a native Garlandite, but have lived in the Forney/Sunnyvale area for 19 years. My oldest daughter considered TSU, but I think it was a tad to close to the ever watchful eyesof her aunt in Austin :biggrin0: ! I was sleeved on 3/23 and feel like I've done quite well. I have lost about 33 lbs with about 50 more to go. I am encouraged everyday, although I struggle to get all my protien in. ( I detest...no...hate protien shakes) :). You'll have to find what works for you. I wish you all of the best! I went to Dr. Nicholsons seminar and liked him a lot! But I chose another local doc, I too am self pay. Just remember after your surgery..walk, walk walk!

Hi Lori. I too am a Garlandite but recently moved to Rowlett. But that is pretty much still Garland. I am having surgery with doc Davidson on June 9th at Forest Park. I wish you the best of luck and extend the offer to get together if you ever need the support, or just want to get to know someone else who is going through the same thing.

That applies to anyone in out area.

Hi Lori. Congratulatons on your decision. I'm 54 and just had the surgery 6 weeks ago after weighing in at 283 as well. I wish I had been able to do this years ago instead of spending 34 years yoyo dieting. I'm happy for you!

Hi Lori and welcome! I live in Terrell now but lived in Mesquite for over 20 yrs. Gratz on starting the journey to a smaller you. Good luck with your consult. Let us know how it goes.

Welcome Lori. Congratulations on your decision. You are fortunate to have made this decision while still in your 20's. By what you have stated I believe that you will succeed in your WL goals and personal desires.