Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pacific North West Kaiser Help Needed

Hi there,

I've recently been accepted into the Kaiser weigh loss program. I know that this program will take some time before surgery (up to a year, I understand) and i'm okay with that...

here are my questions:

So far, Ive found that the Pacific North West Kaiser does not do the lap band (I dont want that anyway) and they focus on the bypass surgery. I, after doing my research, want the sleeve. So much so that - rather than have the bypass - i'll private pay the sleeve. I'd rather have my insurance help. I'm wondering if anyone has had the sleeve through Kaiser PNW?

Also, I have PCOS and bone on bone in one knee - and i'm only 32. I'm wondering if people that have done the kaiser program can give me a little more insight as to if that would qualify me for the surgery?

As I understand it Kaiser works different depending which area you are in. If anyone has gone through this in the Northwest and can give me info, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Kaiser prefers to do the Sleeve surgery. I had mine done by Dr. David Le in So. San Francisco on 3/28.

Check again with them.......they have the bariatric program. There are many classes, but if you're smart you can schedule them close together. I got throught the whole program in 4 months. If you have to have it done down here. You're covered.

HELLO,

I am currently in the program through Kaiser, called OPTIONS program. I'm located in California attending classes at baldwin park medical center. I would recommend for sure that you def. take the program at Kaiser. its a 3 month program, used to be 6 months, and It's the greatest thing! I'm almost positive that you're knee would have no effect towards not being considered for the surgery. People in my class have everything! down to not being even able to walk, to diabetes, high cholesterol, ulcers, hernias,sleep apnea, EVERYTHING you name it. If at all they understand that surgery greatly helps all these things. Kaiser DOES do the Sleeve. and I'm pretty sure they do the sleeve there where you're at as well. I'm looking to get the sleeve as well. I graduate my class tomorrow night and after that i'll be shortly within the next couple of weeks be getting a consult with the surgeon. I feel very safe and comfortable through kaiser program because they send you to testings, ultrasounds, help you cope with emotional issues, etc. They make sure that you know what to expect and prepare you very well. I highly recommend them. There as so many good things people have told me at the support groups i've gone to. Even outside support groups all recommend kaiser. Do not go and pay somewhere else! you're primary doctor along with the options program know what things you need and interact with one another..they know what they are doing and I would not feel comfortable going somewhere else. like I said im pretty sure they do the sleeve. You will have to go to a orientation...do not miss it! after that you will be on a wait list to go into the classes. they say this takes up to 2 months, but everyone I know got it a bit early. (I got it like 40 days after) =)

anyhow, time FLY'S trust me. Feels like just yesterday I was asking my primary doctor to refer me to the program, all of a sudden I graduate tomorrow!

If you have any questions let me know. Don't have any doubts and have only FAITH! what do you have to loose! Trust your doctor and be sure to attend the orientation and classes. If anything you can drop out of the classes. which NOBODY at my class has dropped out! it's RARE from what I'm told, because you feel very FORTUNATE to be in the class!

Good Luck!

Hi there,

I've recently been accepted into the Kaiser weigh loss program. I know that this program will take some time before surgery (up to a year, I understand) and i'm okay with that...

here are my questions:

So far, Ive found that the Pacific North West Kaiser does not do the lap band (I dont want that anyway) and they focus on the bypass surgery. I, after doing my research, want the sleeve. So much so that - rather than have the bypass - i'll private pay the sleeve. I'd rather have my insurance help. I'm wondering if anyone has had the sleeve through Kaiser PNW?

Also, I have PCOS and bone on bone in one knee - and i'm only 32. I'm wondering if people that have done the kaiser program can give me a little more insight as to if that would qualify me for the surgery?

As I understand it Kaiser works different depending which area you are in. If anyone has gone through this in the Northwest and can give me info, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

There you are!!!

We r gonna get you sleeved no matter what girlie!!

I love your life!!

xo

Hi there,

Does Kaiser have a members website? I have a different insurance but they do have a website with a forum section. People can post about a variety of subjects. Maybe you can find one on weight loss and read what other Kaiser patients have experienced?

Also check to see what your portion of the costs will be. Mine would have been considerably more than the cost of having it elsewhere. It would have been nice to stay home for it, but if having surgery out of the US is your only choice or a better choice, there are plenty of places to choose from.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find info for your Kaiser plan. Keep in mind, they can also vary from employer to employer.

HELLO,

I am currently in the program through Kaiser, called OPTIONS program. I'm located in California attending classes at baldwin park medical center. I would recommend for sure that you def. take the program at Kaiser. its a 3 month program, used to be 6 months, and It's the greatest thing! I'm almost positive that you're knee would have no effect towards not being considered for the surgery. People in my class have everything! down to not being even able to walk, to diabetes, high cholesterol, ulcers, hernias,sleep apnea, EVERYTHING you name it. If at all they understand that surgery greatly helps all these things. Kaiser DOES do the Sleeve. and I'm pretty sure they do the sleeve there where you're at as well. I'm looking to get the sleeve as well. I graduate my class tomorrow night and after that i'll be shortly within the next couple of weeks be getting a consult with the surgeon. I feel very safe and comfortable through kaiser program because they send you to testings, ultrasounds, help you cope with emotional issues, etc. They make sure that you know what to expect and prepare you very well. I highly recommend them. There as so many good things people have told me at the support groups i've gone to. Even outside support groups all recommend kaiser. Do not go and pay somewhere else! you're primary doctor along with the options program know what things you need and interact with one another..they know what they are doing and I would not feel comfortable going somewhere else. like I said im pretty sure they do the sleeve. You will have to go to a orientation...do not miss it! after that you will be on a wait list to go into the classes. they say this takes up to 2 months, but everyone I know got it a bit early. (I got it like 40 days after) =)

anyhow, time FLY'S trust me. Feels like just yesterday I was asking my primary doctor to refer me to the program, all of a sudden I graduate tomorrow!

If you have any questions let me know. Don't have any doubts and have only FAITH! what do you have to loose! Trust your doctor and be sure to attend the orientation and classes. If anything you can drop out of the classes. which NOBODY at my class has dropped out! it's RARE from what I'm told, because you feel very FORTUNATE to be in the class!

Good Luck!

so happy for you Jenn!! :) Let me know how it goes. I just mailed back my packet today so hopefully i'll have more information soon!

thanks for your kind words. :thumbup:

Does Kaiser have a members website? I have a different insurance but they do have a website with a forum section. People can post about a variety of subjects. Maybe you can find one on weight loss and read what other Kaiser patients have experienced?

Also check to see what your portion of the costs will be. Mine would have been considerably more than the cost of having it elsewhere. It would have been nice to stay home for it, but if having surgery out of the US is your only choice or a better choice, there are plenty of places to choose from.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find info for your Kaiser plan. Keep in mind, they can also vary from employer to employer.

that's a good idea! so far all the site and literature says bypass only but i'm going to move forward anyway. I figure ill probably learn something about myself along the way - regardless. :)

There you are!!!

We r gonna get you sleeved no matter what girlie!!

I love your life!!

xo

<3 you! I'm totally digging this site. thanks for giving it to me!