Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, I admit it... I am addicted to Dr. Pepper. I am trying to ween myself off of them before I start my pre-opt diet on Tuesday, but I am having trouble. I have a very stressful career that I love, but D.P. is my release. (I am a financial planner & wealth mgr. and the market is down A LOT! :cursing:) So, I am trying to substitute it with Crystal light and tea which seems to be working. :wink0: However, I fell off the wagon this morning. So, what I want to know is what exactly happens when you have a carbonated drink after the sleeve. I am hoping the visualization gives me the motivation to STOP COLD TURKEY! :001_tongue:

HELP!

I didn't even try soda until several months post-op probably around 4 months out. I can't imagine drinking them early out because drinking non-carbonated liquids was uncomfortable. The swelling is significant after surgery so unless you want to hurt and possibly puke I'd stay away from them for quite sometime. Also, they are empty calories so it's recommended to stay away from them until at or close to goal.

I had my first diet pepsi at my 3 month mark which was two days ago:001_tongue: and it didn't bother me at all. I was a diet pepsi feind just like you are on dr. pepper and it was hard but I was scared of having one too early. So now that I know it's ok, I'm just gonna limit myself to one diet pepsi a week :thumbup:

I agree to not drink them too soon, but if when and if you do try one, I'd let it go pretty flat before sipping on it. You may find, like I have, that sodas are just too sweet post-op. And I used to love them before the sleeve! Now they just taste WAY too sweet, so I stick to tea and Water.< /p>

I was like that with Diet Coke and I did like you are by weaning off before my pre-op started. Keep doing what you are doing and I swear it gets better. Now I'm in my pre-op diet and I really don't want one unless my family is eating pizza....then it's a little hard. You can do it!!!

I will admit it right now, after the way the stock market gave me a mild heart attack, I will have one on my way home. I will not have another one after that, I promise. I will report back to let you know my progress so I can be accountable. Thanks for your help...

Good luck with the surery and giving up the DP.

Just to throw this out there, from what I have heard it is not only about it being uncomfortable.. the air bubbles of the carbonation can stretch out your stomach and allow you to eat more. Over time this can be pretty damaging to your ability to eat small portions. So that's what I'm going to focus on to try to get myself not to have any!

Hi... I'm new here (this is actually my first post)... I got the sleeve 15 months ago and would not even dream of drinking a carbonated drink! I hurt myself pretty bad testing it early on and believe me... I avoid it at all cost!!!

I will admit it right now, after the way the stock market gave me a mild heart attack, I will have one on my way home. I will not have another one after that, I promise. I will report back to let you know my progress so I can be accountable. Thanks for your help...

Holli, I hope your holding strong on the "no DP" ! ! ! I know it's tough, hang in there.

I was told that the carbonated drinks would stretch your stomach over time. Is that true? Also empty calories can slow down weight loss. It's a good idea to plan the lifestyle change you are about to make. What do you want it to look like? Make your behavior match your goals.

I was told that the carbonated drinks would stretch your stomach over time. Is that true? Also empty calories can slow down weight loss.

My surgeon does not play into the entire "soda stretches our stomachs". The portion of the stomach that is left behind is extremely muscular. That is as long as the surgeon dissects the fundus completely, and has good technique.

017492.jpg

His explanation went something like this ' okay, any liquid goes in, hits the pyloric valve and goes through. It isn't like it's in there sitting around bubbly, if you decide to have some, you're going to drink, burp, it's over."

Also, 80-85% of absorption of calories/nutrients occurs in the intestines. So, liquid goes through pretty quickly to get to the intestines. My program and many others do not require patients to stop drinking 30 minutes before eating because of the same reasons. liquids don't sit in our stomachs. We do need to not drink for at least 30 minutes after eating because it can liquefy the food, or there isn't room for the liquid once we get to solid foods.

My surgeon specifically told me that sodas, and alcohol are wasted, empty calories so to avoid them until I was close to goal. I did just that, and now I drink soda weekly and have been for about 4-5 months. I was scoped early February, and my sleeve looks amazing, and is not stretched, or damaged due to my soda drinking. Not saying that it's "okay" just because I do it. I believe in following your own surgeon's guidelines, but it's one of the little tidbits that many surgeons disagree on, and there's not any published studies that can back up the assumption that soda will/can stretch our stomachs.

I know that Target sells soda flavored ice pops. They have Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Sunkist, and another one that I can't remember right now. If you are really craving the flavor, you could try those. I know a girl who was addicted to diet dr. pepper, and she used the ice pops to satisfy her cravings! Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for the information. I have been w/o for 3 days, and going strong. I really think the craving is in my head. I feel horrible after drinking one, but I still drink them. This is the motivation that I need.

Soda-flavored ice pops?! *gasp*

Ok, I have the worst soda addiction of anyone I have ever known. I only drink diet, but that fake sugar (aspartame) is like crack, and I NEED to give it up!