Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of being a peeping Tom .. so I joined :)

I have been using this site along with lapbandtalk.com to help me research and try to decide who to go to in Mexico along with trying to decide...band or sleeve. I thought i should stop just reading all the posts and at least introduce myself so I can report my journey as objectively as possible when the time comes.

I have about 7k to devote to surgery but would love to stay around 6-6.5k if possible. I just want as safe of a procedure as possible. I do not need bells and whistles or a staff of people at my beck-and-call. I just want a clean surgical environment and a surgeon who isn't going for the gold by packing in 10-20 surgeries a day. I have been under for surgery twice and feel quite comfortable with being able to handle it. My BMI is around 32.5 and I will be honest I am probably as healthy as a horse (I tend to eat like one too). I just can't seem to lose more then 15 pounds and I can't keep it off. I know if I was to let loose of the dieting hardcore for those 15 pounds each time they come and go that I would just get bigger and bigger.

So here I am just nosing around and appreciate all the time and opinions expressed here. It is a good start.

:)

Welcome to the site. I myself mostly lurk - but everyone is wonderful and there is tons of info and support on this site. I had my surgery in Mexico on 3/22. There are lots of good doctors, I just recommend researching them, talking with others, and then making your decision on who is the right surgeon for you.

Good luck with your journey!

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I have nothing to offer about Mexico as I had my surgery done here locally.

Obviously I'm here on these boards so I chose the sleeve. The band was not even an option for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and welcome and I hope you find the information you need to help you make your decision!

Good Luck!

Not sure what you will get for 6 or 6.5K, but I know that it is important to have an attentive staff and doctor team after your surgery. Don't dismiss that portion of it. The sleeve is considered major surgery - most of your stomach is being removed and pullled through a little incision in your abdomen. There are lots of risks.

Also, unless you have some co-morbidities to go along with your lower BMI, there may be surgeons who won't recommend surgery as a solution.

Regardless, good luck with your decisions and whatever you choose to do.

Hi and welcome

I'm one of the lower BMIs going for the sleeve - both the surgeons I had consults with (here in Spain) said that at around the BMI of 35 i would be ok for the sleeve. I'm not sure at what point they say no on the BMI scale, but I know the things they looked at for me was either the band or the sleeve.

I'm also a self payer, having no co-morbidities, and while the budget was important, my life is more so.

Do use the board to gather as much information as possible, see as many surgeons as you can to get a feel for who you are comfortable with, not only for their track record but to trust your life with.

I've had previous surgery, and saw 3 surgeons for that, and in the end went with the one priced in the middle of the others, because with all the research I felt he was the man for the job.

I wish you luck in your decision - and know everyone here will help out with any info that they can.

Kathy

I was almost your same BMI - due to my family history, I was considered a candidate for self-pay. I was just a bit over $10K in the US. I don't have any first hand knowledge of Mexican doctors, but plenty of people on here do. Good luck with your research.