Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Menu Planning question oh and bison!

I've been looking at previously posted recipes (thanks Tiff, I am now obsessed with allrecipes.com) I am trying a few new things and trying to make things that I loved preop more post op friendly, it is exciting to find that there are still a world of options!

But, I do have two questions. I need a website that allows you to enter all your ingredients and then get the nut info. I tried it on OH and it only gave me the amounts per total, rather than by serving.

Secondly, for those of you who have had bison, what is the taste comparable too. I am not a fan of anything remotely gamey. Also, I live in a relatively small town, any ideas for where I could purchase it?

Thanks all!

Anna

I think www.thedailyplate.com might do it.

And I don't eat any meat that isn't "domestic". LOL ok - I have prepared and eaten alligator, it was good. I had goat and camel in Africa, the goat was charbroiled and good, the camel was too fatty and made me gag. But I don't do any other bambi or similar type meats.

Yeah, I am a huge baby about what I eat. I next need to learn to incorporate fish, but the only time I like it is when I lived in Washington and it was actually fresh. You are very lucky!

I love fish and most any seafood! And being here where it is fresh is a bonus! Also the reason I love to go on cruises and to Alaska.

I have had fish a few times, both frozen breaded and grilled. And shrimp - breaded and sauteed. Has gone down just fine each time.

I may have to eat some today now that I am thinking about it! : )

I use software called "Diet Power" that is wonderful. It has a huge database of foods already in the program, and you can add any food you want to, complete with all the nutritional information. You can build recipes using any foods that are in the database and the program will calculate nutritional info on any amount you enter. I used it the last time I lost weight, so I've had it for several years. It will calculate my daily totals of Protein, carbs, etc. There are a lot of little tricks that make it easy to use--for example, you can create your own list of favorite foods based on what you normally eat. Then when you want to enter your foods for the day, you don't even have to look them up from the dictionary--you just drag them from your favorites list and put in the amount you ate. Since I've had this surgery, it's been a huge help. It's not expensive--29.95 with a free 15 day trial download at www.dietpower.com

We've eaten bison lately. I found it ground at the grocery store (Albertsons) in the regular meat section. It's as low in fat as chicken but tastes like beef. We had it in our chili last night and I couldn't taste any difference. I still haven't tried it as a burger, but my husband and kids did and said it tasted the same as beef, maybe just a little drier.

Awesome! I called around and found a store here that does sell ground bison. I'm gonna go look at it and price it. I'm kind of finding that I am learning to love food in this whole new way. Its exciting. Its not compulsive, its challenging and fun to create things for myself and for my clients that are enjoyable but that fit into my new life.

papya head Parallels H-Sphere

spark recipes Healthy Recipes and Recipe Calculator From SparkRecipes.com go to the recipe calculator you do need to sign up for an acct.

daily plate Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate

i use them all and they all work well!

Edited by mommaof4yoopers

Thanks thanks thanks!

I've used the one on sparkpeople for recipes before I just started throwing stuff into myfitnesspal for entire recipe nut facts.

On the bison, it's YUMMY. For me it's not gamey, and I eat venison which can be pretty gamey if it's not cooked properly. For me, Bison is a bit sweeter than ground beef or venison. It's not like sugar sweet, it's kind of difficult to describe. If your tastebuds have changed post-op, I'd wait a bit before trying it and being turned off. But, it's excellent, in my opinion.

It's difficult for me to find it here, and I've considered ordering a bulk order of it from here: High Plains Bison - Your Premiere Source for Buffalo Steaks & Buffalo meat

It's not cheap by any means. The one time our commissary had it in stock. I paid $6.95/half pound. Yes, $6.95 per half pound. I found it at Publix (our higher end grocery store here), and it was over $8.00 per half pound of ground bison. They have frozen Bison steaks at our commissary, but I'm leery to buy frozen steaks that I can't completely "see" and inspect. I'm just weird like that. So, I haven't ventured into buying bison steaks.

We've been eating "GRASS-FED" bison for the past year. My husband had a stent put in his heart and bison is comparable to boneless, skinless white meat chicken or fish, according to his dietician. It is NOT gamey, but to get the health benefits, it has to be grass-fed otherwise, you might as well eat regular beef. We get ours from

http://www.northstarbison.com/ You want to CALL and order, for some reason, you get a little better price if you order by phone! It is like the best beef ever! It does cost more, I have started ordering the patties and using two when I make a casserole or spaghetti instead of a full lb! It has NO fat to drain. You will not want a steak 'well done' they recommend med to med rare - it is great meat and will definitely lower your cholesterol! :thumbup:

I've been looking at previously posted recipes (thanks Tiff, I am now obsessed with allrecipes.com) I am trying a few new things and trying to make things that I loved preop more post op friendly, it is exciting to find that there are still a world of options!

But, I do have two questions. I need a website that allows you to enter all your ingredients and then get the nut info. I tried it on OH and it only gave me the amounts per total, rather than by serving.

Secondly, for those of you who have had bison, what is the taste comparable too. I am not a fan of anything remotely gamey. Also, I live in a relatively small town, any ideas for where I could purchase it?

Thanks all!

Anna