Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been pudgy most of my life, in my mind, if not in reality. I'm an emotional eater and after Hurricane Katrina hit, I'm sure you can imaine what happened to my cute size 12 college figure. Now I'm 25 and 272 lbs. I've dieted, famined, and starved myself to no avail. Admitting that I fought with a cupcake and lost has been the hardest reality check to myself. The heavier I get, the more self conscious I get. I find myself avoiding certain places and certain people that I used to see when I was smaller.

But I decided that 2010 was the year of M.E. and I'm having the sleeve to take my life back. I want to enjoy my twenties. I want to feel attractive again. I want to make sure that I don't suffer with diabeties and high blood pressure like my mom and grandparents. I want to wear my arms out and be fearless. I want to buy clothes out of the "regular" people store again. So in 2 days, I'm having surgery. This has been the easiest decision of my life.

I know it's going to be a struggle the whole way but hey, I'm worth it. I've lost about 8 pounds pre-op and am looking forward to losing about 120 post-op. Is there any advice you guys can give to make the journey easier?

Way to take charge--Oh what I would give to be 25 and had this option presented to me--you are going to rock this thing! I'm right behind you on 4/28. Keep us posted on your progress!

Congrats on your date! You will be so happy with your sleeve! It is an amazing tool : )

I wish I would have known about it sooner .... but truly, I needed the kick in the butt to get it done. It was very hard for me to admit "failure" and ask for help. However, after being told by two doctors in one week that I had to lose 50 lbs or more, I knew it had to be done.

My advice to you would be to stay positive. You will feel yucky for a couple of days after surgery. Adjusting to a new eating style can be more of a mental than physical challenge. Look at the averages for weight loss and use it for general info, but do not get frustrated if your loss is at a different rate than someone else. When you get home, take a shower, put on clean clothes - and not pj's, go for a short walk or just around your house. You will feel better if you don't lay around in pj's all day.

Good luck with your surgery! This will definitely change and improve your life!

Well, I'm going to be 40 in June. Does that mean it's too late to feel alive?

Haha! Im 40 and already feel alive! I just have shorter spurts of alive and get winded... Lets just say now our "alive" moments will last longer and come more often. I am still that same 20 year old kid at heart--will be nice to have the body and fitness to match!:thumbup:

Many congrats on getting your date. You're gonna love the sleeve.

For advice, follow your surgeon's recommendations. He's the professional, he's probably done hundreds of these surgeries, trust him, and follow his instructions to the letter. The first couple of weeks are typically more difficult, but each day gets better.

Also, mentally prepare yourself that you may have a couple of days that just suck, but I promise the good days outweigh the bad. Keep your eye on the prize and move forward.

Sip, walk, rest, then repeat several times a day. I made sure to rest/nap when my body needed as the body also needs to recover after a major surgery.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm doing my last day of Clear Liquids today and doing some last minute shopping for some protiens, etc. I think I'll go tasteless since taste changes after the surgery. I'm getting some gas-x strips, sugar free popcicles, broth, etc. Anything else you guys recommend in that department?

I think you are being smart with your shopping. I was very surprised how my tastes changed afterwards. I actually didn't shop before hand - and stopped at a grocery store on the way home from the airport.

Apple juice went down very well, cranberry or any other stronger flavors did not. I also had yogurt, premade Protein shakes, farina Cereal, potato Soup, mashed potatoes and cottage cheese later in the first week. Really made me feel better.

Popcicles were amazing! On the days when I could not satisfy my thirst with big drinks, the popcicles really helped!

Good Luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery!