Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op: When did you have your first carbonated drink?

So, Pepsi Max and I were best friends pre-surgery. I weaned myself off and have done fairly well without my friendship. However, now that I have added in all other foods, I'm obesessing about Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max.

I'd really like to try one, but don't want to hurt myself. (In fact, I'd like to try it and find that it isn't as good as I remember!)

So ... my question is - when did you try your first one?

It's not a good idea. It really makes you feel like you're going to explode. For me, there just doesn't seem to be any room in there for carbonation.

I was told we were not supposed to have them, but if you're obsessing about it, try and and see if how it makes you feel.

I took a sip of my husbands fountain diet coke about a week ago (used to be my favorite thing) and, happily, it was NASTY! And it burned. And the bubbles were no fun. This is the only thing that has disagreed with me since surgery and I am delighted about it. The habit truly is gone. I thought I was sipping formaldehyde, didn't taste anything like I remember. Take a taste, get it off your head, I bet you're over it too! Good luck.

C

well this is what i've done, made it flat and drank it slowly, it was so yummy. I hadn't had a pepsi since November 20th 2009, i had it and loved it. . . but now i don't want anymore. . . i find that when i satisfy my urges that's it no more after that . . .

I am not much help with the soda thing, as I rarely drink it. But one of the things I am using is that I am having this surgery and there is a Don't list. Soda is on that. I may add white flour and sugar to that but only time and my new stomache will tell.:blush:

I drink soda a couple times a week. I have absolutely zero ill effects. It hits my stomach, and I might have a little burp. For the most part, it's no problem. I've stuck to regular soda because I hated diet drinks even pre-op.

I want to say I tried my first soda around 5 months out. I'm trying to remember that far back, but it was between 4-5 months out. I did let it go flat by twirling a spoon around in it for a few minutes. I didn't have any issues. Then, I just quit letting it go flat. Some weeks I have a couple sodas, some weeks, I have none.

OK ... so we only have Diet Coke in the house (I had done that on purpose because I soooo prefer Diet Pepsi). I opened one, drank a few sips and ..... ehhh.

The bubbles didn't seem to be a problem - though I did have a HUGE burp & I NEVER burp. Actually made me laugh. But, it didn't taste as good as I imagined. Now, I want to try Diet Pepsi to make sure! :blush: Yep! I am a certified addict.

But, I think I'll wait another month or so ... mark it down, May 27th, I will have my next Diet Pepsi. No, make it a Pepsi Max - my FAVORITE! :thumbup:

Today I got bored with all the drink choices in the fridge, so I opened a can of diet A & W root beer. I let the fizz go down and sipped it slowly with no effect. It was so good, I had a 2nd.

I am a super bad diet coke addict myself. I understand that desire. My worry about soda is that even with a typical stomach the carbon dioxide in it when it hits the temperature change of your stomach is able to inflate your tummy. I know the sleeve isn't supposed to be able to stretch much, but I know that until I reach goal I am really not willing to try. The sick thing with soda and I before is that I had learned that I could eat more food if I drank a soda at the same time as I ate food so not only is it a physical addiction from me, the emotional connection I have with soda is also super unhealthy and MY best bet is to stay away.

So I lied ... I tried a Pepsi Max today. Took all afternoon to get it down (and I still had burping!), but I drank it and I LOVED IT!!!!! I'm going to make it one of my "treats". Happy Day!

That is awesome news Mini! LOL

I have had a few sips and it is getting better. I was told that I can have popcorn now, which really surprised me, but I can't eat the popcorn without the pop!

I am also allowed popcorn, but not sure how much I will allow myself due to the carbs. Darn those carbs!

Wannalise - I'm with you. Coke was one of my addictions before. I gave it up months before the surgery because I didn't want to fight that one along with everything else. I think I am better off never having one again.

Besides I already have such a tough time getting my Water in that any other liquid will just make that worse.

i was a big coke zero drinker before my op,since my op around the 6 week mark i tried to drink softdrink but its to gassy so i havent bothered with it.