Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've learned the hard way

I really hate it when people imply their (good) experience is soley because they behaved better. I started vomiting with my first medication and kept vomiting for 12 hours. My biggest fear was vomiting-let me tell you that I got my fill of it. It was suggested that I was just more sensitive to the medication or the my stomach was more irritated because of the procedure (I also had a hernia). Thanks for listening.

I see your point Murphles b/c I thought the same thing. One thing that came to my mind though is that I don't think I had an actual PB and perhaps you didn't either. I think there is a difference between vomit and PB. A PB, in most cases, can be avoided. Vomiting on the other had, can be related to meds and the condition of your stomach after surgery. When I vomited on Sat (the day after surgery) I didn't have the slime and the nausea started after I had taken one of my meds. I only had Water come out....not slime and trust me, I was 100% compliant.....nothing less.....I followed the rules exactly!! This tells me it was a different thing and I've had a couple others on here tell me it was probably post-op sickness.

I hope your stomach is doing better now. :biggrin1: I stayed off any pill meds for 1 day and gradually started taking them again. Tomorrow will be my first day with ALL my pill meds. Take care and baby yourself in the beginning.

I really hate it when people imply their (good) experience is soley because they behaved better. I started vomiting with my first medication and kept vomiting for 12 hours. My biggest fear was vomiting-let me tell you that I got my fill of it. It was suggested that I was just more sensitive to the medication or the my stomach was more irritated because of the procedure (I also had a hernia). Thanks for listening.

I agree with you. I have never been a rule follower. In fact, I recently informed the dean that I considered rules merely guidelines. I haven't vomited since I threw up on the rug, but it will happen again. Sometimes the golf ball just has to come up. I don't consider myself a failure for that. It's just a learning experience. I also discovered that I can drink brandy at the moment without any dire results. I often resort to that since I take care of my 86 year old mother who is slowly dying of heart failure, my dog with bone cancer, and my other old dog who just trembles for no reason. He's failing too. They are both 12 years old. I adore those dogs not to mention my mother, and who knows how long she has. I just found out about the bone cancer today. Now I have to make arrangements to have my dog cremated because he has never been out of this neighborhood, and I intend to put his ashes in the backyard so he will be at home when he dies. But the vet thinks he has 3 or 4 months to go and I will make them as good as possible. Okay, let's face it. I'm devastated. I just keep expecting everyone I love to die soon. So to hell with the rules. If I don't lose weight, I have reasons. I'm getting my first fill soon. I have some restriction, but Dr. Rodriguez told me I'd be eating hamburgers at this point. I hate hamburgers, but I had Chineses food for dinner. I couldn't eat as much as I thoght I could. I had to eat the sushi later. But I'm eating like a horse and it's worrying me. I really don't need extra worries right now. Alas. Well, I feel better. I hope you do.

Someone on this forum described drinking fluids when something is stuck in your pouch as putting Water is a stopped up sink. The was so true. Before my first fill I could drink and wash anything through. If I do that now I get nauseated right away and up it comes! And I don't just burp up stuff either. It sends me into wretching and I throw up EVERYTHING. I follow the rules pretty closely except I do have a few sips while drinking and I have still PB'd. It just happens sometimes. You can't will it not to happen. Like yesterday I was eating and apple and talking to my husband. I swallowed a piece that was a bit too big and WAMMO! Luckily there was an empty cup in the car.

I am farely new to this can someone tell me what Pb's stands for. I no what happens like spitting up but what does it stand for??

Glad to be aboard!!

Cheryl

05/21/06-215

06/04/2006-203.5

icon7.gifI've learned the hard way

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Just thought I'd post a few things I've learned after having the lap band installed.

I hope you dont mind me putting my spin on your cool post!

1. You get hungry after a week or so. I was absolutely ravenous, but I found ways to eat Protein and still managed to lose 9 pounds in 2 weeks.

>>>>>>I was never hungry.. and if I got a hunger pain here and there it didnt bug me.... (this was the same before the band, but then I was eating wasnt I..lol)

>>>>>>>>I got kinda hungry for the first time in february and march when my band was too tight, my fill doctor was out of the country, and I went days without eating.. I am usually good for three days max.... this was three days, then a week,. then two days, on and off for two months...

I did get hungry! but it takes so little to saticecy those pains.. (to me)

I had to have steroid shot to open me up... Then it was time to pig out before I was back to choking again.. (pig out on Soup and candy and chips, lol)

2. You really need to chew your food a whole lot. I got hungry and didn't chew enough and, boy, that hurt. It helps to wash the food down with Water.

>>>>>>>>>from day one, I had no problem chewing my food to death...I felt like a pro. (i never told anyone that before, lol)

Now a days, I chew a while and get sick of it and spit it out.. its easier.

I know what the pain is.... thus the chewing pro!

Oh and I drink with almost everything I eat. I dont find it washes the food down, it actualy limits my food intake.. I dont like filling my pouch with solids, it feels weird. I rather eat less and be able to drink!

3. Plan on throwing up at least once. I was doing just fine and got a piece of food stuck. So I drank some Water and that went down the wrong tube so I was coughing and carrying on when I just burped up the food. It was just like a baby burps. Unfortunately, I did it on the carpet. This would be most embarrassing in company.

>>>>>>Thats a PB, I had one on pills for 9 hours and on my saliva for 30 more hours. I dont do it.

4. Don't pick up heavy stuff for at least 4 weeks. I picked up a couple of cases of Dasani water and sprang a leak or something in my stomach. It hurts a bit, but I suspect it will go away in awhile.

>>>I dont remember any recovery at all.. I think and think and NOTHing.. I had glue residue. And little red marks..

5. Yard work is probably not good for a month or so after the surgery.

>>>what surgery did you get?

6. Deviled eggs are good and they go down well if your family doesn't eat them all. >>>YUM, and low carb!

7. Buy stock in the Dasani water company.>>>>I do, (but I dont drink water, its gross) My four kids drink 4 cases a month..

8. fruit juice mixed with water is good.

>>>>Thats like getting your cocain mixed with cutt stuff...(bunk dope) ... I am addicted to juice. UNCUT, lol

9. You can drink if you want to expend the calories. I drank some brandy and lived to tell about it. But it's fattening.

>>>>Drinking alcohal has not changed at all for me.. It does not affect me more or anything like that..

10. You can poach anything -- pork chops, chicken, beef--just let it boil enough and you can eat it.

>>>>>>>I need a cook!

11. My sweet tooth did not disappear. I have a piece or two of candy though and am satisfied. I find chocolate mints do the trick.

>>>I eat more candy now than I ever did before.

12. Taking care of one's 86 year old mother after surgery is a real pain in the wazoo.

>>>My mom is 49, I thinkk.. please dont remimd me she may get bent someday.

13. It is wise to have a Cadillac or other luxury car after surgery. It hurts less, and the air conditioner is good. (I bought a Cadillac on eBay and love it.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>yeah, and a private jet too..

14. Excited dogs are not good when you first come home. One of my dogs jumped up on my stomach which was pretty bruised. He meant well.

>>>I was laying on my stomach the first night and these other banded ladies were all freaking out about it.. (hey at least they could walk around and sip gatoraid while I was still gagging on ice chips)

15. It is probably better if your cat does not bring in a field rat to live with you while you are recovering. Our rat seems to be doing well and is healthy so far. Of course, I feed it and give it water. Okay, I'm a severe animal lover. I hope to capture it in my net and put it outside. This is much better than discovering it's innerds on my beige carpet.

>>>awwwww, I coulndt live without my animals

16. A person can tell if he/she is full if he/she pays attention. If one doesn't pay attention, pain can result.

>>>>>>>>I dont call it "full".... but I agree..

17. It is difficult to make oneself exercise if one hates exercise like I do. I still haven't managed that, but my friends are lobbying for me to sign up at the fitness center. I figure I can do the low impact aerobics which consist of waving one's arms around. I may sign up for yoga which doesn't involve heavy lifting or jogging on a treadmill. I might be willing to walk sedately on a treadmill, but the exercise freaks always expect so much.

>>>I cant imagine ever being into excersize.. maybe DO something thats active and excersizes your body.. BUT plain ol excersize in a gym... not for me.. (?)

18. Expect your metabolism to change. I have been waking up at ungodly hours like 5:45 a.m. I have spent many years arranging my life so that I could sleep late, and I wake up early! This is disgusting. I hope my metabolism returns to its normal laziness soon since I'm on vacation. I will wake up early when I go back to work.

>>>I dont notice metabolism. Its a mystery to me.

These are just a few of pitfalls of the lapband that I have discovered. Stay tuned for new developments

>>>haha that was fun...

have you seen the "you might be a bandster" thread

its hillarious

I had the lap band surgery on May22nd. So Pb doesn't stand for anything, the initials. I cheated one day had a few ritz cracker sna d boy that was the last time i will do that, it came right back up and i had some wicked chest pain. Its my fault I was told not to eat yet, this liquid thing is so hard!! I have diahhrea 4 times a day, and i do alot of chewing and spitting when i really feel i need something. I am on liquids for 3 weeks so june12th is my first day off, can't wait!!!

I am not aloud to exercise until a month. Makes it hard to work cause I work in a emergency room.

I have 3 kids also but they understand i can't lift them actually 2 of them would not like it if i lifted them they are 5,9,13. So thats pretty much my story except does anyone feel week alot, no energy??? I am really tring to get all the Protein in and I still feel so tired.

Nice Chatting!!!

ps how do you do that ticker thing??

1. You get hungry after a week or so. I was absolutely ravenous, but I found ways to eat Protein and still managed to lose 9 pounds in 2 weeks.

I did a search for hungry and found this...I am one week out and I am absolutely ravenous, too! Why is that? I've had about 4 tsps of oatmeal yesterday and a serving of SF/FF pudding today. Otherwise it's only been shakes, popsicles, ice chips and Water, chicken broth, and Jello. Is it wrong to be eating anything of substance so soon? My doctor said I could introduce soft foods as I felt I could handle them. I had no trouble with those two things, but I sure felt guilty! I've lost 6.3 lbs in the week since surgery. Any ideas?