Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1/2 way through "Options" with Kaiser . . . still on the fence about the sleeve

Hello all,

I just found this site a few days ago. It's great. I like reading about everyone's experiences. I won't make this too long. I'm in southern California and am just in the middle of my pre surgery classes (12 wks long). After that hopefully it won't be too long before the surgery because I swear I change my mind EVERY week! One day I'm all for it, the next I'm convinced I can do it myself.

It seems great, quick procedure, few to lil complications, etc but I like to eat and drink at the same time! lol . . . I know it's funny for me to focus on that one thing, but I just don't know. I've lost almost 50 lbs. on my own since last yr. But I keep gaining and losing the same 15lbs. over and over.

Well would love to hear stories from those that were skeptical and apprehensive prior to haveing the VSG and who are happy and have no regrets.

Also any Kaiser members who have insight about this whole long procedure I'm going through would be nice.

Thanks =):biggrin0:

Hey there, and it's kind of weird not eating and drinking at the same time, but then like any other habit, it just sticks.

I was great at losing weight too, but it was the "keeping it off" that was my problem. I wasn't skeptical about the sleeve, and have zero regrets. It's been the absolute best thing I could have ever done for myself and my family. It's truly worth it to make the little changes in our old habits to be living the life I have now thanks to the sleeve.

Sorry, I can't help you with the Kaiser stuff. But, there is a lot of Kaiser patients that will hopefully chime in soon.

I had my surgery at Kaiser in Harbor City just before they changed the Options program to 12 weeks. I had to attend classes for 6 mos and it was another 3 mos waiting for the surgery, so it was a very long journey for me.

The fact that you have successfully lost so much weight is going to be a blessing for you after the surgery. I think for those who jump right into it they are not prepared for eating right, which you still have to do following surgery to continue losing weight. The surgery will allow you to continue dieting with that little extra advantage you need to finish the job.

Keep reading this site, as I learned more here than I did at the Options classes and you want to know all you can before making your decision. I started out wanting the LapBand, and thank goodness I changed my mind because of all that I learned here. Good luck on your journey, and if you have any questions about the Kaiser process, just ask!

Peggy

I also went through Kaiser. Same as the person above. Had to do the 6 month classes (YUK) and had surgery with Dr. Zane. What surgeries are you thinking about having? Sleeve and Bypass? I know Kaiser is not doing Lap band, so I am assuming you are think of the latter two. I dont regret my sleeve for one minute. I too have the bad habbit of drinking and eating. I still do it .. shhhhh dont tell. I have lost about 75 lbs so far and want another 40. I have stalled for the last 2 months and I bet its because I do that ... and dont excersise ... BAD ME .. BAD BAD me! Still I know that when I finally kick that habbit and actually MOVE .. I will start losing weight again. Sleeve is your best option. YOu wont have the same deficiencies that bypass pts do. Good Luck

One thing I see among many docs is not eating before or after a meal and that would be very tough. Luckily my Doc takes a more realistic approach. Since liquid runs right through the sleeve, we can drink up until the point we take the first bite of food. This helps when out to eat, you can sip your Water while you wait etc. Then the rule is 30 mins after you eat before drinking again. Occationally I will still rince my mouth out with a small bit of Water, but never enough to cause any issues.

There are some reasons behind all of this:

1. You can take in more of certain types of "slider" foods or some foods loosen up enough with drink to slide right through your sleeve defeating the restriction of it.

2. with dense food or a full sleeve you will over fill yourself with liquid--possibly overflow! its nasty and I have done it out of habit a time or two and it came right back up. You learn quickly that trying to drink after you feel full is likely going to have a bad ending.

Anyway, its not as hard as it may sound, especially when your seeing the scale move and just loving doing things the right way because of the constant results.