Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of good (healthy) snacks

I'm trying to find some high-Protein, low-carb Snacks. Pre-band, I used to snack on fruit (my all-time favorite, summer fruits -- peaches, apricots, etc.) or raw vegetables. But, sadly, neither of those seems to sit well with my band (as an aside, I told my mom today I knew I wouldn't be able to have bread after being banded, but if someone had told me I couldn't have my precious summer fruits I likely would have reconsidered the surgery).

Anyway, I can't come up with any high-protein or even healthy snacks! I'm not a yogurt eater and can only take so much cottage cheese. I love cheese but know it's high in fat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I can eat fruit in small amounts. When I am really craving it I get the pre-dished packs, you know, like the ones you pack in a kids lunch. I also put some unsweetened applesause in the freezer and have a apple-sauce slush. My snaks are few and far between but if I am starving I make a protien shake.< /p>

I have been eating Protein enriched sugar free pudding. I know it sounds silly but it's called Sylvester Stallone's High Protein pudding. 20 grams of protein, low carb and sugar free. It tastes like regular chocolate pudding to me. (They also have vanilla and another flavor but I love my chocolate!)

I buy mine from: http://www.wholesalesupplementstore.com/stallone-high-protein-pudding.html

Just an idea for you. (I'm not a good cook so I need to buy a lot of pre-made food!)

Going back to the fruit, you could try blending up the fruits as a fruity smoothy. Those aren't bad if they are almost all fruit (if not all), you could add a little Water to thin it down, or even some fruit juice (100%).

I don't really have any good snack ideas though..

Thanks for all the ideas. I don't think I could get beef jerkey down. I've never really liked fruit slushies (always would have rather eaten whole fruit) but maybe I'll try them again. Protein pudding -- good idea! I'll try it. Protein Bars always seem to have too much sugar.

I guess I'm looking for good, whole foods, but there really aren't any, are they? Something like a beef cookie LOL! Maybe popcorn's a good idea.

Thanks for the help.

If I have to have a snack, I'll have a string cheese (you can get them in low fat) and maybe 4 crackers (depending on the crackers). It seems to be very filling and usually less than 200 calories as long as you choose low fat cheese and low fat crackers.

I also like those individual cottage cheese containers with the fruit by Breakstone's. They're pre-portioned and taste pretty good. It's a nice switch from the plain old cottage cheese.

The South Beach high Protein Cereal bar is about 140 cal and has 10 g of Protein. I love 'em for a quick pick me up. They come in Peanut Butter, cinnamon raisin and I think chocolate fudge.

I know you said you don't eat yogurt, but here's an idea for everyone (just in case). I like a 4 oz. light yogurt with 1/4 cup of cheerios mixed in. I know it kind of sounds weird or gross, but it's really great.

The high protein pudding is good, too but I got kind of tired of it.

I made little SF custards and kept them in my refrigerator for an afternoon snack. That was a nice change after eating a pudding cup every day for weeks.

If you can tolerate eggs, a hard boiled egg is also a good snack.

I've found I've fallen into a pattern of 4 300 or so calorie meals per day so I dont really "snack" per se, but most afternoons I have a cup of vegetable Soup (home made, make a big batch weekly) and a small handful of nuts such as walnuts or almonds. Makes sure I at least get 2 serves of veges in per day as I often cant fit in significant amounts at dinner, and the nuts give me fantastic skin and nails.

I tend to eat Breakfast at about 8, early-ish lunch at midday, my Soup and nuts "snack" at around 4 and then dinner at 7 or so.

Hmmm. String cheese is a good idea. I like my fruit whole, fresh, or not at all (I'm such a darn finicky eater; I won't eat cheesecake if it has fruit/jam on it and I won't eat cake if it has a fruit/jellly filling). But the string cheese might be a really good idea!

Nuts . . . that's a good one. I don't have those too often but I do like them.

I'll try some puddings or custards, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you eat nuts, be sure they are raw. Raw nuts have the good kind of cholesterol in them. If the nuts are roasted, that same good cholesterol becomes the bad, artery clogging cholesterol! You have to be really careful with portions too - nuts are high in calories.

The best benefit of raw almonds, at least for me, is that 1/8 cup of raw almonds per day keeps me regular - which makes me very happy.

I have been eating Protein enriched sugar free pudding. I know it sounds silly but it's called Sylvester Stallone's High Protein pudding. 20 grams of protein, low carb and sugar free. It tastes like regular chocolate pudding to me. (They also have vanilla and another flavor but I love my chocolate!)

I buy mine from: http://www.wholesalesupplementstore.com/stallone-high-protein-pudding.html

Just an idea for you. (I'm not a good cook so I need to buy a lot of pre-made food!)

Hey, I have tried this as well and the pudding is really good and I am a bona fide sugar addict! Can not tell the difference with this at all! :)

Yasmin

Starkist Luch packs are awesome if you like tuna. They come with 6 Ritz-type crackers, a pouch of tuna, and small packets of low fat mayo and pickle relish.

I rely on Pop Secret 100 calorie bags of Kettle Corn for my Snacks, although that really doesn't have any Protein in it.

Do you ever buy bagged salad? The iceburg lettuce in those is very tasty all on its own. Almost like eating chips. Crunchy and naturally sweet. For those times when you just want something to chew on.

I make a pumpkin pie filling without the crust and use the splenda/sugar mix. As soon as it is done baking, you can add non-fat dry milk too it. Mix it up well then divide it up into custard cups and refrigerate. I think it tastes like pumpkin pie and depending on how much milk power you mix in and how many portions you make, you can get a decent serving of Protein. You can probably mix in the milk powder just before eating as well.

My dietician told me to mix the nf dry milk in with the sf/ff instant pudding mixes. I havn't tried it yet, but she says you can't taste it and again, you get extra Protein in that way.

One of my favorite Snacks is to cut up a small Tomato, half an avocado, and some feta or blue cheese crumbles, or cut up mozzarella (fresh is the best). I top this with 1 tbls. lite balsalmic vinegarette dressing (Ken's is delicious).

Anyway, those are a few of my favorite Snacks.< /p>

Good luck!