Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I started the process of appointments for the VSG, one had to be with a pulmonologist for a sleep study.

On the first sleep study they diagnosed me with sleep apnea. I had suspected it for about a month or so, and was not surprised. They woke me in the middle of the night and put me on a cpap machine. It was awkward at first, but finally was able to relax and fall asleep.

Then, the next day I was called from the hospital again, and told that after looking over my study more carefully, thought that I might need a bipap machine (allows you to inhale and exhale) and to come in for another study. I was really upset over this cause first of all each study is a deductible of $184 and being hooked up to all those wires is torture for me. But I kept saying, 'its for the surgery, I can do this'.

The night of the second study, I was pretty reconciled to the idea of doing it all over again and feeling relaxed. The Resp Tech put the bipap on me and after getting used to it....i fell asleep. In the middle of the night I woke up having a panic attack and had to yank the mask off of my face. My head felt like it was full of air (no pun please) and my sinuses and ears were aching terribly. My sinuses were so full, that I couldn't even breathe with the mask off.

The Tech came in, and told me that after I fell asleep, she cranked up the air pressure to what I should have. She wasn't going to reduce it till I told her that I couldn't breathe even without the mask because my sinuses were so messed up. She gave me some afrin to spray in my nose, then reluctantly put the air pressure down for me to fall asleep again.

A couple of hours later she came to wake me up so I could go home. My ears ached for the rest of the day, and my sinuses were messed up for a couple of days.

When I had to go pick up the machine from the distributor about a week later, he told me that he used a cpap machine also, but that this prescription was set much higher than his and that I was limited to the kind of mask that I could use. I tried on a couple and found one that I could sleep on my side with, but the pressure was torture on my ears. He said he couldn't lower the pressure, because it was the prescription given to him. The air pressure for inhaling is set at 18, but when I first turn the machine on, for about 20 minutes I can set it to 16 so I can fall asleep.

I tried to use it for the first 2 nights and was so uncomfortable that I haven't used it since. I have an appointment with the Pulmonologist on Wednesday to let him see what is happening to me. As to whether he will allow it to be turned down, I don't know.

But after hearing what the sales rep told me about his machine, and him actually looking at me like he felt sorry for me....I'm wondering what those of you who still use, or have used a cpap or bipap have the inhaling pressure set at.....

My daughter brought home some info today about cpaps, and it said it is a gentle pressure of air that keeps your air ways open.....THERE IS NOTHING GENTLE ABOUT THIS THING.....IT IS TORTURE !!!!!:thumbup:

Hi Looking Up

I have sleep apnea and have been on a CPAP for 5 years. I have never experienced the terrible symptoms you have from using my machine--in fact my ears and sinuses hurt when I don't use my machine. My setting is 8 for my machine (Remstar with humidifier). You may want to consider getting a copy of your test and seek a second opinion. The key to resolving sleep apnea is using the machine--and that isn't going to happen if your doc doesn't adjust your machine.

Good luck-

Catherine

I could not use the machine so I packed it up, called the sleep study doctor and told him to please allow the company to pick up their equipment. I have a cat that sleeps with me and curls up under my neck. That mask and hose made things very difficult for me to get enough sleep. After a month they finally came by and picked up the whole set up. I have lost alot of weight and am hoping my sleep apnea has resolved. I also had to go for the two sleep studies and had that same panic encounter during the second study when I had to sleep with the mask. I awoke in a panic and pulled the mask off. The girl who observed me said that happened when she increased the air flow. She was awesome and sweet as can be and lowered it so I could go back to sleep. I hope you can get your surgery and lose the sleep apnea for good.

I just picked up my CPAP machine today. It is a Remstar Auto. My primary dr said that because I would be losing weight so fast, having an auto adjustable pressure would be better than a set one - which would need to be adjusted often.

I opted to start with the nasal pillow type "mask" which isn't a mask at all but just a nose piece that fits into your nostrils. I took a nap with it today and it seemed to work fine.

During my overnight trial, I used both the small nose covering mask and the larger mask that covers your nose and mouth. Apparently if you are a mouth breather, you will need the full mask. I slept fine during my trial, or thought I did. The tech started me on the small mask and then changed me to the larger mask with one hour left. He said that I was arousing more than he would like.

I have snorkeled a decent amount, so that could be why the mask didn't make me panic. I actually like the little nose oxygen lines they use when you are in the hospital or having surgery : )

I am hoping the nose pillows work. I had a bruised nose and swollen left eye that lasted for three days after wearing the masks all night.

I am also hopeful that the sleep apnea will go away after I lose the weight. However, my doctor said she has many skinny people on the machines too : (

There were only 2 out of the 5 today in the CPAP class that had preset pressure levels. Everyone else was on an auto pressure machine. Your setting of 18 is higher than the other 2 had. I think one was 7 and the other was 12. Sounds like alot of pressure to me!! I can see how you would feel like you were being blasted.

I hope you find something that works for you. I have been so tired for so long, that I am really looking forward to getting better sleep.< /p>

Thank you all for posting. I needed this reassurance. When I see the Dr. on Wednesday, I won't feel like a whiner. (hate to sound whiney....lol) I tried the nostril thing when I went to pick up the machine at the distributor. I like it too....I like to sleep on my sides, so thought this might be a good choice. But the technician said that my machine was set so high that the nostril thing would leak too much air for me, and not work. Wish I had chosen it anyway now.....

Thank you all again......:001_rolleyes:

Going through all the pre-op tests, I also had to have a sleep study and the tech. came in in the middle of the night and put a C-PAP on me. Then about 4 days ago they brought it to my house, showed me how to use it. I tried it 2 nights in a row and was miserable. I was so tired yesterday that last night I didn't use it - horrible! I have no idea what I'm going to do. I simply cannot sleep with that thing on me. I am having surgery in 2 days and was hoping that I would take this to the hospital with me to use after the surgery - not so sure now.

Going through all the pre-op tests, I also had to have a sleep study and the tech. came in in the middle of the night and put a C-PAP on me. Then about 4 days ago they brought it to my house, showed me how to use it. I tried it 2 nights in a row and was miserable. I was so tired yesterday that last night I didn't use it - horrible! I have no idea what I'm going to do. I simply cannot sleep with that thing on me. I am having surgery in 2 days and was hoping that I would take this to the hospital with me to use after the surgery - not so sure now.

What type of mask are you using? Full face, nose only or nostril pillows? I wonder if something different would work better for you? I know you don't have much time before surgery but you might be able to switch the mask for something different.

I have done decent with mine the first two nights. Not perfect but hopefully it will get even better.

Hello,

I have been using a BIPAP machine for a year now and it is set on 23%. I could not use a CPAP machine because it would not go high enough. Also, they could not set me up with a machine that would increase after I went to sleep. Therefore I had to use the machine with it blowing at 23% from the start. I did not believe I would ever be able to sleep with this machine with me being a light sleeper. After a few nights I started getting use to it and now will not sleep without it. I feel so much better in the mornings and sleep more sound than I have in years. I know it is hard to get use to but once you do it makes all the differnce in the world.

I wanted to use a different mask, one that would just fit in my nose but due to the pressure I have to use one that covers the nose. I am able to sleep on both sides and if I get the pillow right partially on my stomach.

Again I know how these things are hard to get use to, but when they showed me how many times I would stop breathing during the sleep studies I realized I have no choice but to wear it. That led to me not wanting to sleep without it.

I hope that I can get small enough again that I do not have to use it in the future. I also hope I can give it up if I do. The difference in the sleep is amazing.

Good Luck,

Gary

Lookin, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I did two tests also. In 45 mins I stopped breathing 46 times, and sometimes up to a whole minute. My machine starts out at 4 and works its way up to 11 which is my setting. However, after losing almost 40 lbs, I haven't needed to use it at all. Best of luck to you.

Lookin, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I did two tests also. In 45 mins I stopped breathing 46 times, and sometimes up to a whole minute. My machine starts out at 4 and works its way up to 11 which is my setting. However, after losing almost 40 lbs, I haven't needed to use it at all. Best of luck to you.

I am sooo hoping I will get to give mine up after losing weight. My stats were similar to yours. I couldn't believe that I didn't breathe for up to 57 seconds. There is no way I can hold me breath that long! LOL

I have had a rough time with my nostril pillows "mask" the last two nights. Seems I can't get them lined up properly. I will try again tonite and if I still have issues, I will run by the clinic tomorrow. Fortunately they are only about 10 minutes away.

I am sooo hoping I will get to give mine up after losing weight. My stats were similar to yours. I couldn't believe that I didn't breathe for up to 57 seconds. There is no way I can hold me breath that long! LOL

I have had a rough time with my nostril pillows "mask" the last two nights. Seems I can't get them lined up properly. I will try again tonite and if I still have issues, I will run by the clinic tomorrow. Fortunately they are only about 10 minutes away.

I hope you can get rid of it too. There's a good chance you will. :)

I hope you can get rid of it too. There's a good chance you will. :)

Thanks : ) I hope so. I really don't want to lug that thing around with me forever. However, I also don't like being tired 24/7. My doctor said it was possible to ditch it after losing weight but she also said she has skinny patients on it as well.

Your info is encouraging! I am hoping to copy you!

I met with my pulmonologist for the first time yesterday. All the other visits were with the Respiratory Therapist at the sleep study. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that she has an 'attitude'. My Dr. is VERY pleasant, listened to my concerns and problems (unlike the RT) and agreed to lower my inhale to 14, take off the rate (which was set at 12 breaths a minute, which would normally be fine, but if I started getting relaxed, and sighed.....I would be out of sync with the machine, and feel like I was gasping.

He also said I could use the nostril pillows instead of the mask, since I felt claustiphobic in the mask and kept having panic attacks, when the rate wouldn't let me breathe in MY breaths per minute ratio. I got the machine set today, and it felt like a world of difference. I think I might be able to tolerate this thing now. At least till I lose enought weight to see if I can get rid of it.

Thank you all for your comments.....I felt much better reading them.:001_rolleyes:

I totally understand. I have had a cpap for 15 years. I started with pressure of 9 and went up to 15 and my last study was back to 9 but in my case I never had them turn it down because Ilike it at 15. Do you have a humidifier on yours. My family doctor gave me a non-habit forming nose spray to use every nite before I go to bed. it really helps with the cpap. although one ofm y top reasons for the surgery is to get rid of it forever!

[quote name= My daughter brought home some info today about cpaps, and it said it is a gentle pressure of air that keeps your air ways open.....THERE IS NOTHING GENTLE ABOUT THIS THING.....IT IS TORTURE !!!!!:)[/quote]

Did you take any medications to "help you sleep" prior to the test. Despite the literature stateing that sleeping pills do not effect the results, that is not my expereince with family and patients I worked with. If you took a sleeping pill, you may consider not doing so at the next test.

I was fortinatly one of those that had an easy adjustment to my Cpap. I guess spending 8 months sleeping upright in a chair and waking up every hour made the sleep I received with the machine even better. I would definatly have the doctor decrease the pressure, maybe slowly increase to the level you need over a month or two.