Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

alcohol after surgery

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long you need to wait after surgery to partake in an alcoholic beverage? I am also looking for any advice on what would be the beverage to have. My family is having a surprise party for my mom the first Saturday in April and I know that there will be some alcohol. I don't really want to drink alot but I know it would look funny if I didn't have at least on drink. By this time I will almost be one month post op, so I am thinking it will be ok but thought I had better check. I am also making sure that my Aunt is having something on the menu that is considered the mushy phase since I can't have solids for at least one month after surgery

I just had a drink this past weekend. (Sleeved 1/25/10) I sipped very small sips and I did not finish but probably 1/3 of it. I ordered a lemonade type drink with vodka. I told them to keep it light on the alcohol and they did. I couldn't stop thinking about the lemonade having so much sugar, so I just didn't finish it. I never even felt buzzed.

Vacation is next week and I will probably do it again but under the same limitations.

Every surgeon is different, but my program doesn't allow any alcohol consumption for the first 3 months. I drink wine on occasion now with zero issue.

I would not drink in public initially. The only reason I say that is because the first time I drank at home. It hit me hard, and quick. That type of situation can prove embarrassing if in a public setting.

I know some people say that alcohol burns when they tried it early out, and others have zero issues. Can you shoot someone with Dr. Aceves' staff an email to find out if alcohol that early is okay? If you feel you have to have something, maybe ask if you can have a couple of sips of an alcoholic beverage. It takes me almost 40 minutes to drink a glass of wine so it doesn't hit my system and give me that heavy buzzed feeling.

I was in Vegas @ a Trade Show.

Its an annual event for us with work.

I will tell you that usually this is PARTY CITY for all of us.

WHEW!!! what Tiffy says about it hitting you hard and fast is not an understatement!!!

I learned my lesson and most likely I am done with drinking.

YUCK!!

Dr. Aceves had me wait until I was on solids before I had a half-glass of wine.

Wine is still a struggle for me. I only drink it once a week, but it is very difficult for me to stop at one glass, and if I go over one, the calories start piling up quick with zero nutritional value!!!

Tread carefully!

Edited by annearctica

I drink socially and have since month one. Tiffy is right, for me, it did burn at first, which limited my intake to a few sips of wine (my favorite) and it WILL hit u hard and fast. I notice that the effects wear off fast too, at least for me. If I indulge, I usually have something easy for me to handle, a daquiri, coconut rum with juice, or a vodka & cranberry juice...I normally just nurse the drink, no more guzzling for me...lol If you are controlling the making of your drink, then you can put a tiny bit of alcohol with a mixer, or better yet, just juice or the mixer, who will know but you? Good Luck!

I had my sleeve in October and i think i had a glass of wine at thanksgiving. I find that i can have a drink but its best to stick to wine (and as much as i hate to say it, i do better with white.) Be careful, just have one and sip on it all night. DO NOT drink 2+ vodka martini's straight up....it will make you wish you were dead...just like it did me...it was in my denial "but i always could throw back martinis before the surgery" stage.

other than that one incident ive never had any problems having a drink...actually lets be honest, my "problem" with having a drink is NOT having one because of the calories...otherwise...

Thanks for all the really great advice. Dr. Aceves said at one month out but absolutely nothing with fizzies such as beer or club soda. I was thinking maybe some vodka with diet tonic Water. That way I can just put in a tiny amount of vodka and who will know. Good to know about the martinis though because I sure do LOVE them.

can it damage the sleeve? is it a danger thing or a drunk thing?

It's a get drunk quick, stumble around, and then sober up pretty quickly thing. At least that was my experience when I first attempted alcohol.

Also, alcohol is just wasted calories so it's typically discouraged during the rapid weight loss phase. The liver is working extra hard during that time. Why add more to it by drinking alcohol? Hope that makes sense.

Well, I cruised 6 weeks after surgery. Typically vacation drinking for me entails carrying a martini in each hand to balance myself as I walk around the ship LOL I did not drink much this time, but when I did I had no issues. My tolerance was a little lower, but not much. Probably because I couldn't sip an adult beverage while eating. I also made homemade margaritas last night to watch Idol. They went down really easily. It really is empty calories, so I am going to keep having a beverage down to 1 or 2 one night a week at most. The best "diet" alcoholic beverage is a vodka martini up. Not an insane amount of calories, no carbs (or virtually none), and more bang for your buck so to speak. You can sip on one of those for an hour no problem. Now if you slam it, well then you may get a tee bit wipsy :)