Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help looking for a good doctor in mexico

I'd go with Dr. Aceves in a heart beat. He's really a fantastic doctor. Best of luck in your research.

Sorry, but anyone providing an opinion needs to back up their statements with some type of experience.

If you have first hand experience in regard to the research you did, including all of the data you retrieved from that process, then that can be valid and reliable, providing that research is still current. But to say, "The only person I would go to is Dr so and so" without backup of what you discovered and without the actual experience is not reliable feedback. Too many 'friends' bandwagon making it seem like there are many more positive or negative experiences than what's in reality. Plus, it takes that much more time for the researcher to get the information they need and should use.

Who's more important in terms of the risk-taking? The person asking for help or the person answering the post?

There is no way someone without that personal experience knows as much as those who have had it.

I feel the same way as 2be4me...I am Mexican and speak both languages, when I did my research and after speaking to different coordinators I decided to go with Dr Almanza. I know how the system works and in my personal opinion, the surgeons know you will pay more if they make it more comfortable or prettier so they will add a substantial amount to the surgery. They feel we will believe that if it costs more then it means it might be better. Not once have I told any of them that I speak Spanish and everyone has been very nice, informative and helpful.

My surgery is scheduled for the 9th of April and feel at peace with my decision to go with Dr Almanza, Good luck to you!

Sorry, but anyone providing an opinion needs to back up their statements with some type of experience.

If you have first hand experience in regard to the research you did, including all of the data you retrieved from that process, then that can be valid and reliable, providing that research is still current. But to say, "The only person I would go to is Dr so and so" without backup of what you discovered and without the actual experience is not reliable feedback. Too many 'friends' bandwagon making it seem like there are many more positive or negative experiences than what's in reality. Plus, it takes that much more time for the researcher to get the information they need and should use.

Who's more important in terms of the risk-taking? The person asking for help or the person answering the post?

There is no way someone without that personal experience knows as much as those who have had it.

As for my research, between the surgeons.

My criteria was a full service hospital with an ICU and blood bank on premise. There's no debating that some surgeons operate out of little day clinics and others use full hospitals.

I wanted to be in a hospital setting during my recovery with licensed nurses and doctors providing my care. I didn't want to be in a secondary location if a complication popped up, and have to be transported to another clinic or hospital for care.

For sleeve surgeries, the complications including infections, leaks, perforated bowels, and general aftercare, were all factored into my decision process.

So, I'm not sure why my opinion, or preference should be discredited just because I happen to have insurance coverage come through with my revision. Just because I didn't have to go the same venue as you or any other patients that went abroad, doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't matter. I have made the same exact statements about India, Turkey, Costa Rica, and other surgeons that are outside of the U.S. so I'm not exactly sure why there's such a twist in the mere fact that I have different standards than you do.

You're happy with your experience, and so are many others. But, there are plenty out there that are not happy, and have been ran off for voicing their opinions, and experiences. So, if I put out what I found out during my research, and it saves one person from picking a surgeon strictly based on cost, then so be it.

None of the information that I've shared has been incorrect or discredited by any patients. If you or any other patients can state that what I have shared is incorrect, please point me in the right direction. Because, I even had 2 coordinators verify what I had read about the facility and aftercare procedures of your surgeon. I considered a long list of surgeons, and because of my own personal standards, and health issues, I wasn't going to settle to save a mere 3grand to go somewhere that was not up to my standards.

So, while I understand your point that I have zero personal experience with any of the surgeons, it's not difficult to realize that the information I've shared about Mexico surgeons is correct, and hasn't been verified even by your own accounts of your experience.

It really has nothing to do with the cost. I had other US surgeons on my list for consideration, that cost more than Dr. Aceves, and would have traveled to one of them as well based on research, not just what my "internet friends" have to say about their experience.

It's not difficult to form an opinion or share information when it's out there on a surgeon or facility. I realize paying more doesn't guarantee better, but the facts are that what I want, and need out of a surgeon and facility is NOT going to match what others want or need.

Risks are risks, and someone else may have the same expectations and standards that I do. While I respect anyone's surgeons choice, I don't have to sit back and shoot rainbows and daisies up everyone's a$$ that wants information.

It's been facts I've offered. I've never posted any leak stats, or complications for any surgeon. I've never bashed any surgeon. I've been there to listen to the ones that shared negative experiences and were chastised for it by other lovers of their surgeon. I Celebrate with all of the successes and try to be supportive of anyone struggling regardless of their surgeon choice. So I'm not really sure why it's turning into an all out war when it comes to the information I've shared.

2b4me . . . I would agree with most of what you wrote. People are very passionate about the decisions they make and I think part of it is to prove that their choice is/was the right choice. I had a lady trying to convince me to change pharmacies the other day - said that hers was so much better and nicer than the one I was going to. Ok. Her opinion. Whatever : ) So long at the drugs are the same, mine is more convenient for me.

I know very little Spanish and got along just fine with Dr. Almanza's staff. Several speak very good English, some spoke enough to get by and there is always sign language : ) My only difficulty came during the middle of the night at the recovery house. I had a hard time explaining that I was having an anxiety attack. There really wasn't anything she could give me anyways; I had already taken meds. I just had to lay down and relax. It passed and I was fine. Bkind and I were sharing a room and it was very comforting to have her there to help talk me down.

One thing I did was to print common medical phrases, body parts, etc off the internet in Spanish. I figured if I got desperate I could point to it on the paper. However, I travel alot and often find myself in foreign countries where I don't speak the language. It is not intimidating to me. I am used to carrying a phrase book or printed materials with me to communicate.

If I had lived closer to Texas, I likely would have selected a clinic across that border. San Diego was easier for me and I chose the clinic based alot on the communication of the coordinator I used. If I had gotten there and the place was a disaster, I would have declined the surgery and came home.

The price came into effect for me at the end, after I had narrowed my choices down to two or three locations. I am not willing to pay extra for a name brand tho either. If my kids want a tshirt for $35 just because it has a brand across the front (and the shirt costs $10 everywhere else), they can pay the difference themselves.

Definitely take in the info you receive from everyone and then make the decision yourself. You are the one who has to live with it.

WTH?

I hate this...but if you believe you know everything because you have the most posts or because you're the most supportive, you're dead wrong.

Let me see -- someone says you are not correct in your assumptions about good research practises and you claim that to be a war?

It is terribly egoistic and even narcissistic for you to claim -- Hey everyone on these boards -- it's me. Believe everything I say! I know everything there is to know about everything! I've done all the research. Again, WTH?

Using your imagination is not a personal experience; nor is talking to your friends and then repeating what they said. The rules against hearsay are based on this. It would be extremely helpful if through your wide network that you direct the poster to the people who had the surgery with the doctor.

I have seen your posts and they are extremely empathetic and supportive, which is great! It seems you've also had a rough go of things so you've had more experience with complications. But, you've not had all the experiences. You are not all things to all people. If you were the wellspring of information, people would not have to post -- they could just pm you so you can tell them what to do.

Sorry, but as far as quality research goes for this information request, your arguments do not hold Water.

Oh, and the next time you imply that I've started a war, make certain you are correct, and make certain your fight is worth risking your credibility.

i also recommend dr. aceves, he and his staff are great!!!

and i haven't heard of any deaths at all......if you need more info please contact nina, she's the patient coordinator and she'll gladly give you all the necessary information.

wish you the best of luck.

WTH?

I hate this...but if you believe you know everything because you have the most posts or because you're the most supportive, you're dead wrong.

Let me see -- someone says you are not correct in your assumptions about good research practises and you claim that to be a war?

It is terribly egoistic and even narcissistic for you to claim -- Hey everyone on these boards -- it's me. Believe everything I say! I know everything there is to know about everything! I've done all the research. Again, WTH?

Using your imagination is not a personal experience; nor is talking to your friends and then repeating what they said. The rules against hearsay are based on this. It would be extremely helpful if through your wide network that you direct the poster to the people who had the surgery with the doctor.

I have seen your posts and they are extremely empathetic and supportive, which is great! It seems you've also had a rough go of things so you've had more experience with complications. But, you've not had all the experiences. You are not all things to all people. If you were the wellspring of information, people would not have to post -- they could just pm you so you can tell them what to do.

Sorry, but as far as quality research goes for this information request, your arguments do not hold Water.

Oh, and the next time you imply that I've started a war, make certain you are correct, and make certain your fight is worth risking your credibility.

I hate it as well, but trying to discredit my opinion isn't going to fly either.

I have not once said anything negative about any of the surgeons. Nothing I've posted has been found to be not fact. Again, I simply posted what was important to me, and my needs.

I never implied that I know everything about everything. But, I what have shared has not been argued, nor proven incorrect information.

I did my own research just as I always urge patients to do for themselves as well. I'm not trying to fight, and I assure you my credibility nor reputation will be damaged by this post. If the information I have shared, or the opinions I've expressed were offensive or incorrect, that might cause some issues. But, since nothing I've posted can be misconstrued, or twisted into something other than facts, I really don't know why my research, or opinions matter so much to you.

Your post implied that I was bandwagoning with "friends" and only spreading hearsay. How can it be hearsay when others share the same exact information except they have different standards than I do. It's simply a difference in what I want/need as to what they are happy experiencing.

Once again, not once have I bashed a surgeon, or facility. And, my independent research is being questioned. Never did I assume I am the end all be all to everyone. I have done a lot of research, and share the information I've been able to find. I've shared all the links, and told people how to use the search feature here. So, what else am I supposed to do? I guess I could once again contact all of the surgeons and get it in writing again about their procedures and facilities that I based my opinion on. But, even then, it's not firsthand experience since I didn't have to use any of them. It doesn't really matter what I say at this point because you are choosing to make it personal, and twist everything I say into something that couldn't be further from the truth.

Still confused how me stating simple facts are getting turned into me being narcissistic and egotistical. Once again, if anything I've posted can be proven incorrect, feel free to let me know. At this point, I'm done unless you can prove that any information I've shared is incorrect.

From that link: here is the quoted portion from youknowit's post regarding 2 Aceves deaths.

Daisy, see if you can email Nina, and get specifics on this one such as when the deaths occurred, and what surgery the patients in question were having performed.

In all of my research for my revision, and Dr. Aceves being my only choice for Mexican surgeons, not once was I informed of any deaths, and believe me I asked.

I'll be interested to find out.

I don't necessarily think you need firsthand experience to express an opinion, or give information. I know when I was considering heading to Mexico, I had certain standards that had to be met before I would even consider a surgeon. I took testimonials with a grain of salt, and contacted a few of the highly promoted surgeons. However, I hate the idea of coordinators (they remind me of used car salesmen), I hate the idea of having surgery in a clinic, I refuse to settle and I think it's important to get the full details out there on not only the doctor, but the facility, and full after care. Unfortunately, on this forum, certain posts, threads, and replies have been deleted to prevent people from hearing/reading about other people's negative experiences. I am grateful our insurance covered my revision, but I did do research on several of the Mexico surgeons, and believe that when I give information, it's just that, information that can be confirmed.

You stated you hate the idea of coordinators: However, I hate the idea of coordinators (they remind me of used car salesmen), Yet, in another post you also say you relied on 2 coordinators to get some of your data: Your words: "Because, I even had 2 coordinators verify what I had read about the facility and aftercare procedures of your surgeon".

One example of egoism and narcissism: but I did do research on several of the Mexico surgeons, and believe that when I give information, it's just that, information that can be confirmed.

Your words: I have done a lot of research, and share the information I've been able to find. I've shared all the links, and told people how to use the search feature here. So, what else am I supposed to do? I guess I could once again contact all of the surgeons and get it in writing again about their procedures and facilities that I based my opinion on. But, even then, it's not firsthand experience since I didn't have to use any of them. In research terms, you have done a lot of secondary research and some primary research. But, you don't have the primary research data, the personal experience with the surgeon and the facility, that others have.

Your words: None of the information that I've shared has been incorrect or discredited by any patients. If you or any other patients can state that what I have shared is incorrect, please point me in the right direction. On the detriments of hearsay, chain communication and quality of the research process:

The Encyclopedia of Case Study Research: "Storyselling" (2010) -- among other entries.

Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences (1998)

The Journal of Organizational Change Management: "Coaching can be storyselling" (2007).

The Journal of Leadership Development: Understanding the charismatic leader-follower relationship: Promises and perils (1998).

Criteria for assessing the trustworthiness of naturalistic inquiries (1984).

The Crowd: A study of the popular mind (1974).

Principles of Management: "Communication" (2004). -- and pretty well every book on communication using the chain or "party-line" method.

There are three things I have argued about your research: 1) your assumption that it is not necessary to have had personal experience before you can fully recommend a surgeon/facility, is not correct and it is not supported by quality research processes; 2) you are not above having to back up your statements, and more than once; 3) the use of daisy-chain communication including but not limited to hearsay, is not effective.

The 4th is that everything else you've put into your posts is irrelevant to those 3 statements.

Hopefully, you're done now. You've turned something very unoffensive, and non-abrasive into a smear campaign against my opinion, and simple facts. I can say honestly that I would only choose Dr. Aceves for my revision if I had to go that route. Why is that wrong? Once again, you turned my comments and opinions into some little witch hunt, and hopefully you feel better about yourself now. Because nothing you've posted have been able to disprove anything I've shared.

I contacted coordinators to ensure the information out there was correct. That was the only way to get information. I didn't have another choice. So, yes, I hate the idea of having to use them, what other option is available?

I haven't contacted any of the surgeon's offices in over a year, and don't have an ongoing relationship with any of them such as Daisy does with Dr. Aceves. I've also contacted other current patients of his that have been in contact with himself and his staff recently to get the real stats.

I wanted to ensure that I wasn't completely moronic so I dictonary.com the words egotistical and narcissistic. WOW, I'm still confused by how you have come to the conclusion that I have either of those characteristics. By sharing, truthful information somehow I'm egotistical.

I'll run out and contact all of the patient coordinators, and confirm and post their replies that their surgeons operate out of a hospital or a clinic, if there is a blood bank and full ICU capabilities on premise, if they have certain little letters behind their name that gives some people warm fuzzies, and bougie size, if they oversew, if they keep me in a hospital or am I transported to another facility for a couple of days post-op. That's the only information I used in basing my opinion on Dr. Aceves as I've stated several times.

If it would make you get off my a$$, I'll get those replies out in the public for you since that's the only way it seems it would appease your thought process on my opinion of which surgeon I would choose for MY revision.

What a load of horse manure this turned into just because I would have made a different choice than you if I would have been a self-pay patient.

I highly doubt we'd be having this conversation if I was Dr. Almanza's praises from the rooftops, and this is a prime example why people don't share their experiences or opinions. You've turned it personal, and honestly simply proven my point that you can't discredit anything I've shared. I guess it's easier to attempt to discredit my opinion, and surgeon choice than it is to actually find some falsehoods in the information and opinions I've posted. The reason I don't have the firsthand experience is because my revision was approved by insurance. That doesn't change the fact that Dr. Aceves would be my only choice based on my research. Why is that any different than the research you did before you chose a different surgeon to perform your sleeve? You had to come to a decision on surgeon, and I came to my decision based on what I wanted/needed out of a surgeon/facility.

It's a whatever at this point. You just keep turning this around to the fact that I didn't "have" to go to Mexico. I'm grateful that I didn't have to self-pay, but that doesn't change the fact that Dr. Aceves is/was my only choice.

Tiffy,

I try to not get involved in the drama but.... Check out "The Double Flame" over on OH site. You will have some answers!!!

I swear to god, I've had 2 people who thought about using Dr. A in TJ who will not do it now because of some of the attack pack mentality that they have observed going on when someone dares to voice anything about their doctor. It is pitiful that it has to be this way. Just kind of makes me wonder.

Pesonally, I don't care who anyone picks for their surgeon as long as they are comfortable with their choice. I just have issues with the attacks that go on here and other sites. People should be entitled to give their opinion.

I do have issues with attacks against you. You have been nothing but a god send to many who were seeking reassurance, information, etc. The very same people who are attacking you have attacked so many others. They are accusing others of having mental issues, etc and needing to get a life. MY GOD IF IT ISN'T THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK. Rest assured Tiffy, most people are well aware of what is going on. Hold your head high Tiffy. You aren't the one looking pitiful!!!!

Hello everybody i a self pay looking for a doctor in Mexico to get the vsg can anybody point in the right way

Her question opens it up to anyone experienced or not experienced with Mexican surgeons. She didn't ask " Hello sleevers who had surgery in Mexico, i a self pay looking for a doctor in mexico to get the vsg can only sleevers who had surgery in Mexico point in the right way

Opinion

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

Tiffy has every right to give her opinion whether or not she's had surgery in Mexico or not. Anyone that has been around these boards for more than a day and a half knows Tiffy and I think most people respect her opinion. I'm a little confused as to why she should not be allowed to give it openly, whether anyone agrees with it or not.

In my opinion, this really seems like it is a personal attack.

We don't all have to agree on the same docs, or opinions, but we all do have the right to voice them!

It just seems really strange to me that the posts and threads from people who had bad experiences with Dr. Almanza were removed from this board.

Now people could say that negative threads about Dr. Aceves were removed too, but I never saw any. I check the new posts every day. The negative threads about Dr. Almanza were on here for awhile before they were removed.

Since more than half this board are patients of Dr. Aceves, it would seem that if anyone had a bad experience, it would have been posted and stayed on here for us to see, before being removed. I have never seen anything negative posted about Dr. Aceves, only praise.

As for my research, between the surgeons.

My criteria was a full service hospital with an ICU and blood bank on premise. There's no debating that some surgeons operate out of little day clinics and others use full hospitals.

I wanted to be in a hospital setting during my recovery with licensed nurses and doctors providing my care. I didn't want to be in a secondary location if a complication popped up, and have to be transported to another clinic or hospital for care.

For sleeve surgeries, the complications including infections, leaks, perforated bowels, and general aftercare, were all factored into my decision process.

So, I'm not sure why my opinion, or preference should be discredited just because I happen to have insurance coverage come through with my revision. Just because I didn't have to go the same venue as you or any other patients that went abroad, doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't matter. I have made the same exact statements about India, Turkey, Costa Rica, and other surgeons that are outside of the U.S. so I'm not exactly sure why there's such a twist in the mere fact that I have different standards than you do.

You're happy with your experience, and so are many others. But, there are plenty out there that are not happy, and have been ran off for voicing their opinions, and experiences. So, if I put out what I found out during my research, and it saves one person from picking a surgeon strictly based on cost, then so be it.

None of the information that I've shared has been incorrect or discredited by any patients. If you or any other patients can state that what I have shared is incorrect, please point me in the right direction. Because, I even had 2 coordinators verify what I had read about the facility and aftercare procedures of your surgeon. I considered a long list of surgeons, and because of my own personal standards, and health issues, I wasn't going to settle to save a mere 3grand to go somewhere that was not up to my standards.

So, while I understand your point that I have zero personal experience with any of the surgeons, it's not difficult to realize that the information I've shared about Mexico surgeons is correct, and hasn't been verified even by your own accounts of your experience.

It really has nothing to do with the cost. I had other US surgeons on my list for consideration, that cost more than Dr. Aceves, and would have traveled to one of them as well based on research, not just what my "internet friends" have to say about their experience.

It's not difficult to form an opinion or share information when it's out there on a surgeon or facility. I realize paying more doesn't guarantee better, but the facts are that what I want, and need out of a surgeon and facility is NOT going to match what others want or need.

Risks are risks, and someone else may have the same expectations and standards that I do. While I respect anyone's surgeons choice, I don't have to sit back and shoot rainbows and daisies up everyone's a$$ that wants information.

It's been facts I've offered. I've never posted any leak stats, or complications for any surgeon. I've never bashed any surgeon. I've been there to listen to the ones that shared negative experiences and were chastised for it by other lovers of their surgeon. I Celebrate with all of the successes and try to be supportive of anyone struggling regardless of their surgeon choice. So I'm not really sure why it's turning into an all out war when it comes to the information I've shared.

Tiffy point for point your reasoning for selecting Dr. Aceves as an excellent Mexican WL surgeon is valid. I appreciate how logically you approach the issues presented on this board. The fact that you did not have your surgery performed by Dr. Aceves and had overcome serious complications only strengthens my stance. Your opinion is intelligent, worthy of praise and acknowledgment. I certainly hope that you are not discouraged in any way from being the active participant you have been here because you have been an asset to me and I am sure to many many others who have needed support. Your efforts have never been empty, frivolous or in vain and I absolutely appreciate you. Thanks for being the kind of person that can be relied upon. Thanks for being here for me when I so desperately needed someone to talk with.

i definitely recommend dr. aceves as well.....he is a very reliable and professional dr. has a great staff and excellent service.