Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i got an e:mail back from a doc. of a local hospital here (which is a quite nice one, and i've known people to get surgery there; not this kind, but still, it's reassuring to know that people HAVE gone there!) they do the vertical sleeve! and so now i am waiting to have a consult set up!!!!!! if i could get it here, that would make a HUGE difference in actually getting the sugery. (you know, having four kids just doesn't make it easy to take off whenever!!)

so i have a list of questions for my consult, but i want to make sure that i'm not missing anything!!! what do i absolutely HAVE to ask?

here's what i have so far:

how many have been done?

what size bougie?

price (obviously)?

recovery time, etc?

honestly, trying to wrap my brain around this still, so i'm drawing a blank!! please let me know what you asked, or what you wish you would have asked!!!

okay. off to work now!! talk to you all in a bit :thumbup:

Complication/leak stats? How many if any deaths?

What does your program fee involve? Do I get a nutritionist? How about some follow up care thrown in there, like labs at 3,6,9 and 12 months?

How many nights in the hospital? Do you perform a leak test?

Can you give me some patient testimonials or do you have any before/after pictures of your patients that I could read/look at?

Do you oversew the staple line?

How many incisions do you make?

Tiff if I could start my life over I think I'd want to have you for my mother!

Awwwww, you're gonna make me cry, Lan, we're sisters in spirit. ALWAYS ! ! !:thumbup:

perfect!! i can't WAIT for my consult! :sneaky2: making a list and checking it twice... or a million times :(

Love ya Tiff...

leelee, Don't be afraid to ask those hard questions. I did not ask my surgeon about his sleeve history. I was uncomfortable to put him on the spot so desperate to find a surgeon that was in the vicinity of where I live. I suffered with so much anxiety and fear after the surgery that something was or might go wrong and some of that was because I really didn't know enough about my surgeon's history.

Tiff gave you awesome questions to ask, but you'll also want to find out from the office who you need to contact at the hospital to discuss the fees and coverage from their side. From my experience, the hospital thing is where it got ridiculously confusing. I wanted/needed things spelled out in writing and you'd have thought no one have ever asked that before.

Good luck!

This is a great post as I'm starting a list too as I have a consult next week.

From previous op experience I am also taking a list of medication and supplements that I take to check if they are ok to carry on with.

Be aware most surgeries will not allow any body jewellery to be worn of you have piercings.

Also if you are on oral contraceptives don't forget to ask about their compatibility, as for my last op I had to stop taking them

Thanks for asking this question. I have a pre op appt on the 2nd of March. I too am very nervous. Thanks for your responses I can use those questions too. I have to see the Dietician too should I specific questions for them too? Ginger:confused1:

weight.png

Edited by trippsmommy