Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on 1-28.

What is the approiate portion size that I should be eating of Refried Beans?

I think I ate way too much this afternoon.:laugh0:

I am worried that I may stretch at the stich line.

CRAP!

lol. As for the question I have no idea, but what a food to decide to eat in excess! Now for tough love. I'm assuming you ate till you felt stuffed. Eat until you feel satisfied and stop. Because of my screwed up relationship with food, I sometimes can't tell the dang difference. Eat till you feel satisfied. Get up from the table and do something else for 15 minutes. After then if you're still hungry, you'll feel it. If not, it was in your head. As for eating till you're unfomfortable- STOP. Lean on us for support my friend. I know it's hard but eating until stuffed is what got most of us here. But looking forward, try that to see if that helps. Sending you love and hugs- Kimberly

We are very close in surgery dates. I was told that at this point I should be between 1/4 and 1/2 cup. I can no way do 1/2 cup of refried Beans, but I did do 1/3 of a cup. I felt a bit too full afterwards, so I've cut back to pretty much 1/4 cup on anything substantial. (I do 1/3 to 1/2 cup of liquids though.) And, don't worry too much about the staple line - I am sure things are ok.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MINI-Me
typo

Thanks Ladies!

I know I over did it.

I ate over a 1/2 cup in an hour.

I was having lunch with a few co workers and talking and not really paying attention and before you know it I had ate the whole cup!!

I know better than that!!

I feel better now.

I actually drank some Water and I think that helped to wash it all out of my stomach.

I think next time I will just throw them away rather than sit there and look at them and be tempted.

Thanks for your support I appreciate it so much!

I measured early on because you can't rely on a full signal this early out. I only ate 2ounces of food mushies at a time. If I even remotely felt uncomfortable or like another bite would bother me, I stopped even if those 2ounces weren't gone.

I used those kid's over the counter medication cups that measure 1 ounce.

Even once I got to regular food, I had to measure food because I had no full signal. At 3-4 months out, I could still only 3ounces of food. It took me awhile until I could get more in per meal.

Measure, set your fork down in between bites, and enjoy those bites.

Tiffy has a great point. I have a collapsable 1/4 measuring cup that I keep in my purse. It was a gift a friend (who had WLS) gave me the moment she heard I was scheduled. I use it when we are out, wrap in a napkin, and clean when I get home.

My instructions were to never eat more than 2oz at a time. That's pretty much what I've been sticking to. So far I haven't felt hungry after stopping at the 2 oz so it must be the right amount for my tummy.

I measured early on because you can't rely on a full signal this early out. I only ate 2ounces of food mushies at a time. If I even remotely felt uncomfortable or like another bite would bother me, I stopped even if those 2ounces weren't gone.

I used those kid's over the counter medication cups that measure 1 ounce.

Even once I got to regular food, I had to measure food because I had no full signal. At 3-4 months out, I could still only 3ounces of food. It took me awhile until I could get more in per meal.

Measure, set your fork down in between bites, and enjoy those bites.

I am going to start measuring!!

Thanks Everybody!

Refried Beans were what I was most looking forward to after I got out of surgery. (That and peanut butter!) I think my first day of mushies I wasn't even able to finish my 1/4c. and was disappointed because I waited so long for them! :blushing: LOL. I'm 6 weeks out and my dietitian has told me I should be eating 1/4c. at each meal & no snacking. I don't know if she will tell me differently at my 3 month post-op appt. or not. But it was definitely a change going from 1/2c. Soup at each meal to 1/4c. of mushies and now solids! It's a big change, and tough to getting used to stopping, but you'll get used to it. I too have had a couple of times where I ate too much...and paid for it in pain! Keep doing what you're doing, lady! :lol0:

Thanks MW Girl!!

I still cant believe that I ate so much!!!

And you are right I absolutley did pay for it.

I was in pain for a while because of it.

Measuring from now on!!!:blushing:

Refried Beans are really dense, I noticed I could eat less of dense food. I went to Wal-Mart and bought these cool little dip bowls about 1/2 c. they are in the Corelle dish section. They saved me at first, I didn't count on my own signs & signals at first, because they weren't strong enough to tell me when to stop, it was like I was full all the time.

Hi Inspectora-

Post this to a new thread to get more responses. I'm 16 days post op and this happens to me as well. I'm not sure the reason, perhaps because we now have a tiny narrow stomach and food digest much slower? Report this as a new thread and I'm sure some vetrans will respond. Welcome! Glad to have you here!

My instructions were to never eat more than 2oz at a time. That's pretty much what I've been sticking to. So far I haven't felt hungry after stopping at the 2 oz so it must be the right amount for my tummy.

I'm at 6 months and 2 oz is the max I can hold. Today I had pecan crusted fresh wild alaskan salmon and I could not quite do 2 oz, but I think that was because I ate some of the skin too...it was very chewy and dense. Yummy. 3 hours later and I am still "full" but trying to sip on some sobe lifewater. It's hard to get in all the Water needed when I stay full so long after some meals. Barely get to 60 oz most days, 50 on some days.

Still standing on the edge of onederland. 201.2 this morning. Maybe tomorrow. So near and yet so far!!!

My plan says 1/4 cup of food for awhile, graduating to 1/3 to 1/2 cup at around 3 months. I asked about refried Beans because everyone talks about them, but was told they're not part of my plan and considered slider foods. :thumbup1:

I'm five days out and so far got in 56 oz of fluids today. I'll drink another 8 oz of herbal tea before bed. My plan calls for 64 oz starting day 5. I'm thrilled that I'm able to tolerate Water and herbal tea.