Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am Not Doing Good AT This!!!

I cannot stay on my diet. I tried to go out to eat today and eat the liquid part of a Soup I normally get and it was spicy. I never noticed that before. I literally started crying right at the table. Then we went to costco and I saw they had Frozen Non Fat Yogurt and I was like wow - I think I can have that and I ate a few spoons, probably 2 oz. Ran to bathroom within a few minutes with slight diarrhea. Then came home and saw yogurt-no sugar added on my list. It probably had tons of sugar, huh?. I have not dieted honestly, in years. So perhaps this is why it is such a shock. I gave up dieting years ago and just ate what I wanted. That made me fatter and now these habits are making it horrible. It is like I'm trying to go from one extreme to another extreme and it is so difficult.

I did go to the store tonight and bought more things that are on the list.

I think the best advice on here is just to stay home. The liquid part of this stage is an absolutely nightmare for me, even though it is full liquids.< /p>

My doctor did not prescribe an anti-acid. I will call tomorrow and see if that was an error. Maybe that is another reason why I'm so unsettled.

I am trying to settle down. I am going to take tomorrow and do better. I don't want to mess up my surgery or get into bad habits right from the start. I am worried I've already messed up, but I'm determined to do better tomorrow. I would imagine the weekends are the worst. I have a lot of energy, and I do feel I'm hydrated pretty well. So at least that is something.

It isn't so much the hunger as much as it is just wanting the foods I'm more accustomed to.

I will be honest with the dietician tomorrow at my doctor's office and see if she has some good advice.

It was interesting to watch my family eat today while I did not eat much. I realized the monsters I am creating with food. All of the choices my children have been allowed to make are the things I taught them. I can see we all have a lot of work to do, not just me.:001_smile:

Awe pumpkin please take one day at a time. Yes you CAN do this. You HAVE to. No options. Try to look to the future. Picture your life 1 year from now; thin and healthy. Let this vision drive you. Live your life today like no one else so that you can live tomorrow like no one else. Do it for you. It's time.

Hi pumpkin,

Maybe you are expecting too much too quickly.... I know I was sleeved the day before you and today was the first time I have left the house. I was thinking when I read yours - she is already out at costco and getting around better than me, whats wrong with me. Went to the grocery store and target and was exhausted when I got back. I am having alot of stomach issues right now where whatever I am putting in is coming right out (sorry) ... so I need to stay close to a bathroom. I am too nervous to stray from the diet although I must admit I am hungry for something besides broth and Protein Drinks. Honestly they make me want to throw up looking at them and smelling them. I almost gag but know it is what I must do for now.

Keep your head up and we will all need to encourage each other. I know at the end of this stage it will get better. I guess I too wasn't expecting it too be so hard, but then when I think about it why wouldn't it be. It is major surgery. Our bodies have been traumatized and they have to heal and recovery and get used to our new tummy. Take Care

Diane

Anyone know the consequences if a person were to eat a small amount of solid foods like a bite off a soft cookie, real small piece of baloney,, like less than a normal bite, while on the full liquids diet, more than 12 days out from surgery? Would it mean definate trouble in the future, or would the trouble happen right away?

I am having the opposite problem girls. I seem to be blessed and doing so well, I feel I can eat anything already. But now I am concerned that this may be something that kicks me a week or two out.

I know. I tend to get major adrenalin after surgery. It happened with both my C-sections too. And when I was a kid I had bladder surgery and I was literally all over hospital having the time of my life. I don't know why - maybe I heal fast or whatever. I am miserable and then I am running around like crazy. I had no pain meds today, no real pain just a little itching there the incision is healing. We did a lot today but my husband was with me so he did anything heavy. But honestly I could have walked a mile today. But I didn't.

But you know what I just looked at another section and saw the Cornell Weight Loss Surgery Program. This is something I could do. It is the damn Protein drinks drinks drinks that are gagging me. It isn't the quantity it is WHAT I am being asked to consume. I'm not really into artificial this and artificial that. UGH.

I am going to ask my doctor about this diet tomorrow or maybe at my appt this week. If he says I can switch I am going to because that is more up my alley. I love things that are natural and make sense to me. I don't mind cooking b/c I can cook and eat the same thing for a few days no problem.

But yes, I will wait and get his permission first. I think he will see I'm physically doing great.

I didn't have a BM until today btw. So I was kinda glad. I little gas oopsies but no BMs until today. I wasn't sure if that is how everyone is. I have not been nauseated since I left the hospital Thursday.

I have taken a few bites of soft foods and chewed them really really well. It doesn't seem to hurt me. (or hasn't yet) We are talking about cheese, turkey, etc. Nothing heavy duty.

Anyone know the consequences if a person were to eat a small amount of solid foods like a bite off a soft cookie, real small piece of baloney,, like less than a normal bite, while on the full liquids diet, more than 12 days out from surgery? Would it mean definate trouble in the future, or would the trouble happen right away?

I am having the opposite problem girls. I seem to be blessed and doing so well, I feel I can eat anything already. But now I am concerned that this may be something that kicks me a week or two out.

The problem with progressing your diet too quickly is:

1) The incision line is healing. food particles, pieces, stringy stuff, can get lodged in the staple line, lead to an infection thus resulting in a leak. (After having a leak, 2 days after my revision, and no fault of my own, let me just say, they are NOT fun, and so not worth it)

2) The stomach has been severely traumatized. Cut, severed, and the big portion completely excised from your body, it's going to take time to heal. When we "cheat" on the post-op diet, it can cause food intolerances, or bad reactions to semi-solid, well-chewed up food, and then vomitting can ensue causing stress to the staple line, and possibly cause a leak. Vomitting is just causing more trauma to an already traumatized major organ.

Honestly, leaks, and complications, cramps, pain, and other problems during the post-op diet are just NOT worth the risk. It's just temporary. I literally had nothing cross my lips for 22 days. Yes, I was fed through an IV line in my arm, but I wasn't even allowed to have ice chips, Water, nothing. I couldn't even use mouthwash. If I can do it for 22 days, then anyone can deal with a couple weeks of the post-op liquid diet phase.

I know this sounds harsh, but a leak and complications are serious. It's seriously just not worth it when in just a few more weeks you'll be able to have anything you want.

Those Cookies will still be available, and probably taste better in a month.

Disclaimer: this isn't directed at any particular member. Loser, I don't want you to think I'm attacking you. This is to anyone that thinks cheating on the post-op diet is okay. It's just not. I know it may not seem like it will hurt anything, or you aren't feeling anything the first couple of days after a little cheat here and there, but it can cause erupt into a huge mess.

Please stick with your prescribed post-op diet. Not only is it best for healing processes in your body, it's going to help you stick with sleeve rules through your losing stage.

**Steps off my soap box**

Tiffy, you are SO right. You are. Please don't think that I meant to sound flippant in my response. I haven't cheated except I moved myself to mushies a day early and had a small piece of really really chewed up turkey two days before my doctor gave me the go ahead. (light sandwich meat is approved in my mushy stage)

Well said Tiff, I think fear is what helps keep me in check. I figure I have done something this severe I need to follow the rules. They are there for a reason.

Diane

Thank you Tiffykins..Your so right. I have to admit I am worried and feel bad about doing it.. It just seems everything is going so well I could do a little cheat. But you are right. Now I have concerns that will last for at least two more weeks. So anyone else out there that is thinking about it,, dont' do it. I noticed where others talked about having foods they shouldn't yet, and I also noticed the difference in recommended diets. The diet my doctor put me is a very safe one, and I should respect it, rather than tempting fate.

I agree totally with Tiff. In addition, I've read where s sleever had a bill over 100K for hospitalization/ICU etc, after a leak. It's expensive, AND could be lethal as well.

Thanks Tiff for your great post. I am 6 days out and cross-eyed at the thought of any more Protein bullets but I am grateful that I have been doing really well. I have got to take it slow and let my tummy heal. I'll be full liquids soon and am really looking forward to that. Actually, I am afraid of the point when I will expected to eat solids--I've gotten used to drinking every meal. I don't want to experience painful back-up.

Take care all.

Pennie

I just love a good talking too..lol...seriously, we all need it sometimes!! Here i am days before my surgery feeling sorry for myself because I've given up food for a few days (only on Protein shakes..ewww) and I just needed a real wake up call! I'm so proud of all of you for doing so well after surgery! Let's face it...food is a major part of our life and we need to remember that it's not gonna be easy. I don't know about y'all but it makes me sick how much food has ruled my life!! I'm starting to feel that anger now too...I ask myself "why would I let myself get so out of control?" I mean for what??? To end up loathing how I look for literally minutes of pleasure eating my favorite food! Right now I'm trying to figure out what's going to take the place of my food...and it's a hard one to figure out! Thanks tiffykins for the post...I have to keep in mind that I'm getting my health back...no matter how hard it's gonna be! Keep up the good work everybody... You're all on your way to becoming stronger/better people!! My surgery is the 18th I'm hoping I do as well as y'all!