Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nexium, Hunger and my 2 cents

Hey Wonderful People, Happy Valentines Day!

I think it was just yesterday I stumbled across a short blurb, I believe from Cajun or Oregon Daisy - I can't find it again, sorry - about the importance of taking your acid reducer. What hit me like a ton of bricks was this poster mentioned that acid production, post sleeve does not feel like heartburn, but rather hunger. Yep-o!!! I was getting really frustrated with the almost constant- albeit very manageable - hunger I was having, especially still being on full liquids (mushies tomorrow - hallelujah!).

Well, the last couple of days or so, I had very much been slipping on my Nexium consumption; I've never previously had problems and didn't feel like I was now. Thought it was just hunger. Before I had finished reading said Sleeve Angel's post, I had a Nexium down last night and now, some 12 hours later, guess what, no annoying hunger!!! So, stick with your acid killer as prescribed, especially if you are having a lot of "hunger" - it's so true how much this acid production feels like hunger I can't even believe it.

Thank you whoever that was that posted that line!!!!

Carol

crossing my fingers that my stall has broken today. Now THAT would be a great Valentines present!!!

was prescribed to take it three times per day but only have been taking it in the morning and at lunchtime. Might start in the evening - as prescribed - too. I've never really not felt ok, fortunately!! Just had this darn "hunger".

Wow. I had not even thought about it until Oregon Daisy pointed it out. I don't have a prescription for Nexium, but have some Prilosec and Prevacid at home. Will start on that today. I had some greek yogurt an hour ago, and I am already 'hungry'/acid hungry'

was prescribed to take it three times per day but only have been taking it in the morning and at lunchtime. Might start in the evening - as prescribed - too. I've never really not felt ok, fortunately!! Just had this darn "hunger".

Keys pirate: Are you sure it is three times a day? I've never heard of taking that high a dose. Usually once a day, or twice a day at the most is the usual dose.

I agree 100%. I couldn't really describe what I was feeling as hunger, but it was this weird twinge tingling I had after an hour after eating. My surgeon didn't prescribe anything for me until I brought it up, and now I take 1 Prilosec 20mg once daily.

You're welcome. It's weird that acid does not feel like heartburn but if feels like hunger. I was really surprised when I tried to go off my protonix and I noticed immediately that I felt like I was starving. Now I never miss it every morning. I like Protonix because the generic is so cheap and it's tiny and I only have to take it once per day.

What is the best time to take your med? Brkfst, lunch, dinner, bedtime?

Anna, I take mine first thing in the morning. My RX prilosec specifies to take it 1 hour before eating, or 4 hours after eating. I take it in the morning and haven't had any issues. I take other vitamins/supplements at night, and didn't want it interfering with anything else.

20 mg once daily is what I was prescribed. I missed it for two days in a row and was miserable. I ended up nibbling on soda crackers to absorb the acid in my stomach until I could get home and take a nexium. I use the Nexium mups that you can get in Mexico. They dissolve in a tiny bit of Water and I usually take it 1/2 hour before eating or drinking anything, first thing in the morning.

I take mine first thing when I get up.

Hey Tiff,

You were right, once a day. I'm not sure where I came up with three times per day but, truth be told, I only took it twice per day anyway. Then I started slacking off to nothing for a couple of days when I read this post. Back on it, of course, an unbelievable difference. I really was starting to sweat all this "hunger" which is now totall gone!! Yayyy! Thanks again to Oregon Daisy for bringing this up for us. Oh yeah, I take my mup version of Nexium in the morning.

C

You're very welcome. I am glad I could help!

Since i'm going to the doctor tomorrow, i'm going to bring this up. . . im always having this starving thing going on, i'll ask for nexium or it's generic. . . thanks guys

Keys... I'm a little concerned that you are taking the Nexium 3 times a day. Dr. Aceves and Campos told me to take it ONCE per day, in the morning. I was having nausea with the Nexium, so they told me to switch to Prilosec or Prevacid ONCE per day in the morning. Prevacid has done the trick, and all is well. I'm not trying to cause any trouble here, but they told us (me and the others in for our sleeve two weeks ago) to take if for at least 3 MONTHS, only once per day. You might want to email or call Dr. A to clarify?

Best to you, and glad it's help now! :)