Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for some advice from longtimers!

Hi Everyone,

I was sleeved on Feb 8th. I came home on the 10th and I guess everything is going as expected. I am sore but it is getting better. I will be very happy when this drain is gone but I sure see the need for it, I have to empty 2-3 times a day.

Here is my question. I am on liquids, and Protein drinks. No matter what I put in it comes right out. I know I have heard "liquid in liquid out" but it is still worrying me. My stomach seems to be non stop gurgling and making all kinds of noises and then I have to go to the bathroom.

Is this normal? how long does it last? I was wondering if it is from all the air blown inside my stomach?

Also, my dr. did not prescribe any prilosec, prevacid? is that weird? should I take it anyways?

Thank you for any imput

Diane

Hi Dybarra, Congratulations on getting your new sleeve!! As far as the gurgling, it does calm down! Mine did that for a few weeks after surgery, I figure it was just getting used to all the new changes.

I never felt too full on liquids, they do just go right through you. I started feeling fuller, and better when I started mushies. So I wouldn't worry too much about it now as long as your getting in your Water and Protein.

My doctor didn't prescribe me any prilosec or prevacid, but he did suggest getting some chewable pepcid. The pepcid helps with the heartburn, but it is hard to get it regulated into your system like a daily dose of one of the others which stop the heartburn before it starts. If your heartburn is real bad, I would look into trying one and seeing which one works the best for you.

Good luck on a quick and easy recovery, and no worries it sounds like you doing great!!!

I suffered the liquids in liquids out until I got to mushies. Greek yogurt helped, and I know a few other members bought some Probiotics to mix in their water/crystal light to help with the gi tract.

My surgeon didn't prescribe a PPI until I talked to him about it. I had this kind of weird twinge in my stomach after I would eat something, and then I felt like I could eat again. I can't say it was hunger, but it was weird. I went on Prilosec 20mg once daily, and haven't had any issues since. I didn't go on the Prilosec until about 6 weeks post-op. I take it first thing in the morning, and I wait 1 solid hour before eating anything.

I would definitely talk to your surgeon about getting on a PPI. If your surgeon can't prescribe one for you, Prevacid and Prilosec are both available over the counter. I have one more 90 day refill on my Prilosec, and keep saying I'm going to wean myself off, but I'm doing so great, I don't want to throw my body out of whack.