Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know why so many of us seem to stall so quickly? I am getting so frustrated. My surgery wason Jan. 25 and I have been stalled for almost a week now already. I really hoped I would make it at least a month before I stalled. In the back of my head I know this will work simply because of the restriction on how much I can eat but I am still beginning to wonder why the scale won't budget at all.

I don't know why, but it appears you're right in the time when most do stall. It happened to me a little after two weeks out and lasted a little less than 2 weeks. It's tough, but I sure did appreciate the loss after the stall so much more. Good luck in riding it out!

It is physiological, our bodies are programmed to go into a starvation mode when resources become scarce. There is nothing we can do about it as this ability is genetic.

Bill

Loosing, I am still in the stall as well. I hit mine about the 2.5 week mark, and the scale has not moved yet for almost two weeks. Deedee mentioned that her stall was almost 20 days, but she has reached goal. Right now I hanging on that little bit of hope :lol0:

I do want to add, that I had a stall from week 4.5 to week 6. I fluctuated .5 pounds up and down for 10 days. I was prepared for it, but like everyone else upset. It broke on Monday and I have lost .75 pound per day since then, which is a tad faster than I was loosing pre-stall. It will start moving again.

Bill

This on my web-site and it helped quite a few so hope it helps you too

Plateau?s Fact and Myth

Sometimes, during the phase of rapid weight loss after gastric bypass surgery or any wls, many patients may find their weight loss is stalled. Talk about discouraging. The daily ritual of weighing and celebrating another pound gone has turned into depressing torture because the scale just won?t move- the dreaded plateau has arrived.

One reason for the plateau is physiological. The body reacting to the restrictive caloric intake sends out a signal to start burning less stored fuel. In other words, the metabolic rate (the rate at which the body burns fuel) is reduced as the body attempts to conserve fuel in reaction to a state of famine. Your body is hanging on for dear life to it?s beloved fat.

Face Down The Dreaded Plateau:

There are things we can do to face down the dreaded plateau. The first is to avoid beating up on ourselves or regretting the decision for WLS. Simply accept that a plateau is part of the natural course of weight loss and this too shall pass. Plateaus can last two to four weeks. Try to be patient and consider your body is simply taking a rest from the hard work of losing weight.

Avoid snacking during the plateau. Old eating habits that caused obesity may resurface as we comfort our disappointment with extra Snacks or make unhealthy food choices. Try to avoid this type of self-sabotage. Keep in mind, a plateau is a difficult time emotionally. I can recall feeling, ?I really didn?t deserve to lose all this weight anyway, so I may as well eat this or that.? Avoid the self-pity trap.

Re-examine your commitment to healthy eating and exercise. Sometimes a plateau can be busted simply by returning the very basic principles of living after gastric bypass. One nurse-dietician suggests a return to pure Protein for 48-hours. That means eating only eggs, low-fat cheese, chicken, tuna, turkey, etc. - nothing processed. The science behind that is the intake of pure amino acids (protein) will boost metabolism and force the body to burn stored fat.

Another way to feel proactive in plateau busting is to kick-up the exercise program. Add an extra half-mile to a walk or an extra set of repetitions to the strength training program. Any little change will catch the body off guard and it just may respond by dropping a pound or two.

And of course continue to drink clear fluids, specifically Water, to flush the body of toxins and fat.

Counterfeit Plateaus:

Now, What about the plateau that lasts longer than four weeks and you still have lots of weight to lose? These are referred to as ?Counterfeit Plateaus? in the health community. Most counterfeit plateaus result from miscalculations or forgetfulness on the part of the dieter. For example, maybe we are forgetting to avoid starchy carbs or processed Snacks. Maybe we are eating a tiny dinner and an hour later eating another tiny dinner? Perhaps we?ve fallen out of the habit of exercise. Little slip-ups or forgetfulness can become quite costly if we let it go too long without correcting the behaviour. Take a hard look and find ways to improve habits and boost weight loss.

Water/Fluid Retention Plateaus:

Too much salt in the diet will cause a Water retention plateau ? avoid prepared Soups or other foods that have excessive salt. A Fluid retention plateau is the result of insufficient water consumption so the body retains Fluid to compensate. Remember, drink the water.

Plateaus are Temporary:

Remember, plateaus are temporary. As discouraging as it may seem at the time it will pass and it is a natural part of the weight loss journey.

Edited by Snowcrystal

Snow, thanks for the great reply and data, it's needed. Loosing; I was just about to write the identical post; sleeved on the 25th, down 23 pounds, stalled since Monday. Talk about a bummer, I was charging through 2 pounds a day until Monday. Now, not a stinking ounce! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I'm suffering right along with you, sister. Hopefully we'll have shorter stalls than longer ones... Hang in there!

Carol

Hi all, well like i have said in so many other posts, DITCH THE SCALE! I threw mine out the minute i came home from surgery and don't weigh unless it's at the doctors office. My first week and a half i lost 32 lbs. . . i haven't weighed since and am going for my 7 week checkup on tuesday. . . definitately will post my loss at that time. . . but come on ya'll the scale will just depress you and make you feel bad. . . the scale is EVIL . . . DITCH THE EVIL ONE. . . .

Thinoneday, you're probably right but I just can't do it. The curiosity kills me and I want to know what's going on. This stall is a bummer but it's not consuming me (bad pun). It was expected I guess. Also, I live where I work (marina/scout camp) so I'd probably get in trouble if I threw away their medical quality scale!

I'm with you. I wish I could throw it away but I have wanted to see me standing on a scale with a reasonable number displayed so badly I just can't keep my big old body off of mine.

I lost 30 lbs quickly and then I have been stalled for a week. (I had surgery on 1/25) Today I am moving again. One more pound down. I just have to stick with it.

Snow, thanks for the great post.

*wavin' from down the street in Ft. Worth* (how ya' likin' this BLIZZARD we're havin'???) :cursing:

Don't stress over the stalls.... they're gonna' happen and there's really not a thing we can do about it - (except maybe try to up the protein!).

My surgery was Nov 21st.... I stalled after a couple of weeks and the stall continued for more than a MONTH!! I thought I'd go NUTS!! I couldn't get in NEARLY the amount of Protein I should have been having... (or anything else for that matter... but I suffered a nasty abscess after surgery too, so... )

I know it really brings ya' down, but you have to know that as time goes on and your body starts adjusting to your new tummy - the stalls will become less frequent and will shorten a great deal.

At not even 3 months out yet, I have had 3 stalls.... 1 for 5 weeks and 2 lasting about 10 days each... BUT - I was 188 lbs on surgery day - - and now am down 48 lbs in under 3 months - despite the stalls.... so it happens.... sometimes a bit slower than others.... but it happens!

I still have trouble eating.... the "head hunger" tears me up sometimes.... and the loose skin isn't the least bit attractive - - - - but overall.... it's been worth the experience... (btw, less loose skin issues when you lose slowly I hear, so be happy with the pace you're at!) :thumbup:

Good luck, and keep us posted!! :blush:

yes snow thanks for the excellent post about all of the differnt plateaus we all are going through. after do many diapointments with weight loss how could you not be dpressed about no loss in weeks!!!