Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where to put the port?

I was told by my surgery coordinator that I could choose between two spots to put my port. I think she gave me the choice of lower in the sternum area where it can be imbedded more in the muscle or up higher in the ab area? I've read some posts that describe it can be uncomfortable when wearing tighter waistbands and jeans. What is the best placement to avoid that? Where are your ports and for those of you that have lost a lot of weight is it more noticeable, need to be replaced with a smaller one?

Dancing Queen

Scheduled for 6/27/06

Dr. Roberto Rumbaut

256/242/150

My port is placed about 4" below the bra line slightly more to the left of center and I have not experienced any problems with it. It seems having it placed lower in the abdomen results in soreness and discomfort for some people.

My port is about 3" above my navel and 3" to my right. It's nowhere near any waistbands. Also, I thought that might be a problem since I am a right-side sleeper. No problem. My left side is the one that is still tender.

I asked my Dr. about the waistband issue. He said that you have to remember ... your waist is going to be lower. Interesting.

I like the idea of my waist being lower someday! I am 5'7" and sometimes I feel like my pants are too short. A lower waist will help me when buying clothes.

If anyone has a port placed lower please let me know how that's working for you?

Dancing Queen

Scheduled 6/27/06

Dr. Rumbaut

256/242/150

Mine is halfway between navel and xiphoid process at mid-clavicular line.
:cake:

Lol, I love your posts Jack, but what in the heck is "xiphoid process" and where is the "mid-clavicular line."

My port is just below my braline on the right side. The first couple of weeks it really bothered me, but now that everything is healed, I don't even notice it.

The xyphoid process is the pointy end of the breast bone and the mid-clavicular line is the middle of your shoulder bone. Sometimes medical people use terminology common in our field and foreign to others. LOL.

He's changing? Rumbaut has traditionally placed the band at the sternum. (Other band doctors have looked confused and then said, "Oh, yeah...Rumbaut...") LOL That's where he put mine and it was never a problem.

Mine is halfway between navel and xiphoid process at mid-clavicular line.

Perfect position so far.

Jack - Huh? Ya' gotta' remember, we're just lay people!

Mine is on the left side of my lower abdomen. I don't notice it unless one of the kids jumps on me or if I am lifting something and set it on the port.